Chicago-land Investor New to Bigger Pockets

Chicago-land Investor New to Bigger Pockets

Daniel KurtPro Member
Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 5 votes

Hi Bigger Pockets! My name is Daniel Kurt. My family and I live in Glenview, IL, and own a two-flat in the Lincoln Square neighborhood of Chicago. I'm really excited to get more involved with Bigger Pockets.

I'll share a bit about my background, my plans, and how I'll contribute to the Bigger Pockets community.

My wife and I bought our first house in Columbus, OH back in 2010 for $209k using the first-time home buyers tax credit and an FHA loan. We walked away with more cash in our pocket then we had before closing. A year later, we bought a single-family home a block away for $120k that we renovated and rented out. We moved to Chicago a few yeas later, selling the first for $259k and the second for $225k. That cash allowed us to buy a two-flat in Bucktown where we lived in one unit and rented out the other. We stayed for three years, and then bought another two flat in Lincoln Square, repeating the same process while making the Bucktown property a full-rental. We sold the Bucktown property in late 2020 in order to buy a single family in Glenview in early 2021, and now the Lincoln Square property is a full-rental bringing in $7,200/month. We have about $400k in equity in the property that I will leverage to start doing real estate full time. My goal is to get to $30,000 in passive cash flow in the next five years. I have a start with our current two-flat, and my plan is to follow the BRRRR strategy in the inner suburbs of Chicago, with an aim to do my next deal in early 2022.

Here's what I'm working on right now:

1) I'm identifying the markets I want to focus on, and I'm starting to isolate around the near North West suburbs like Evanston, Wilmette, Lincolnwood, Skokie, Glenview, etc. I have a lot to learn about the rental markets in the burbs, and I'm digging in and soaking up as much information as possible.

2) I'm interested in finding a local bank that I can deeply partner with, enabling us to leverage our assets to acquire distressed properties and renovate them for all cash, followed by a cash out refi after seasoning.

I plan to do the first two or three BRRRR deals myself, and then bring in limited partners to accelerate the process.

If anyone needs help understanding the neighborhoods in Chicago that are north of downtown, I'm happy to help. I have some experience in real estate, but no where close to other folks in the community. Still, I'm happy to share anything I have learned through the deals I have done.

4Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Skokie, IL · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 2 votes
5y

Hi, I'm a REALTOR who lives & works in Skokie, with my office in Glenview. I'd be happy to send you any updates I have in those areas.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Skokie, IL · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    Hi, I'm a REALTOR who lives & works in Skokie, with my office in Glenview. I'd be happy to send you any updates I have in those areas.

    • Daniel KurtPro Member
      OP
      Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 5 votes
      5y
      Originally posted by @Karen Daugerdas:

      Hi, I'm a REALTOR who lives & works in Skokie, with my office in Glenview. I'd be happy to send you any updates I have in those areas.

      Thanks @Karen Daugerdas. I'll PM you. 

  • Scott KronePro Member
    Investor · Northbrook, IL · Member since 2017 · 352 posts · 295 votes
    5y

    Welcome to BP. We did a similar process as you in many of those same suburbs early in our marriage. It can be a fun and rewarding process. I would caution you to dig deep into each community to investigate rental laws, transfer taxes and other expenses. For instance, if you sell in Evanston and then buy in Wilmette, you will be hit with 2 transfer taxes (Evanston Seller, Wilmette Buyer). Some communites are much more favorable towards renters than others. Property taxes is another item. A 750 sf unit in Evanston had the same taxes as a 100 x 200 lot with a SFH in Northfield - big differences!

    No perfect way to accomplish, just need to know costs up front and what your market will yield.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago · Member since 2018 · 612 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Welcome @Daniel Kurt!  

    I'll DM you contact info for a multifamily broker who specializes specifically in Evanston. We also recoded an episode with her which might be a good starting point.  

    • Daniel KurtPro Member
      OP
      Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 5 votes
      5y
      Originally posted by @Tom Shallcross:

      Welcome @Daniel Kurt!  

      I'll DM you contact info for a multifamily broker who specializes specifically in Evanston. We also recoded an episode with her which might be a good starting point.  

      Thanks @Tom Shallcross!

  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Daniel Kurt - Great to e-meet you and welcome to biggerpockets!  

    Sounds like you have an awesome plan put together and now just need to continue executing on it.   I also like the Chicago North sit suburbs, higher dollar values, but typically bigger returns on the flips.  The rental game is definitely more on the appreciation play.

    Happy to connect and see how we might be able to help each other out.

    • Daniel KurtPro Member
      OP
      Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 5 votes
      5y
      Originally posted by @Jonathan Klemm:

      @Daniel Kurt - Great to e-meet you and welcome to biggerpockets!  

      Sounds like you have an awesome plan put together and now just need to continue executing on it.   I also like the Chicago North sit suburbs, higher dollar values, but typically bigger returns on the flips.  The rental game is definitely more on the appreciation play.

      Happy to connect and see how we might be able to help each other out.

      Thanks, @Jonathan Klemm. I'll PM you. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.