Advice For A Newbie Buying A FourPlex in NY

Advice For A Newbie Buying A FourPlex in NY

Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 6 votes

Hello everyone , I’m 26 years old I have a stable income and I am looking to buy a multi family 3 units and up. I have never owned a property. Someone will co-sign with me if necessary. My issue is New York is quite pricey and I’m not sure if it’s the right place or and obtainable goal in NY.

I was hoping to get an FHA loan to make this a possibility. My credit score is above a 760 and I don't have much debt. I'm also open to going the Hard money lender route to do a BRRR.

Realistically I don’t see my self leaving New York to get a property. I’m open to all suggestions about financing and loans.

Thank you all in advance !

3Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2020 · 210 posts · 163 votes
5y

@Glenn Brathwaite I like your strategy of going after a fourplex and house hacking it. If you're flexible in terms of where you live in NY, then you can look for parts of the state that offer fourplexes within your price range. The other option would be to reduce your criteria to either a SFH, duplex, or triplex depending on the price, and still take advantage of the FHA loan. I think the important aspect is just getting started.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2020 · 210 posts · 163 votes
    5y

    @Glenn Brathwaite I like your strategy of going after a fourplex and house hacking it. If you're flexible in terms of where you live in NY, then you can look for parts of the state that offer fourplexes within your price range. The other option would be to reduce your criteria to either a SFH, duplex, or triplex depending on the price, and still take advantage of the FHA loan. I think the important aspect is just getting started.

  • Scott WolfPro Member
    Lender · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 957 votes
    5y

    @Glenn Brathwaite, if you need to be within commuting distance of NYC, then NJ, Westchester (Yonkers/Mount Vernon), or even the Bronx may offer good options for you.

    Happy hunting!

  • Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2019 · 22 posts · 26 votes
    5y

    Hey @Glenn Brathwaite! Welcome to the Real Estate game!

    Since you have close to zero debt and an excellent credit score, I'd highly recommend an FHA loan for low down payment options. This will obviously help with your cash and cash return, which saves you money in the long run. Just be careful with PMI and any fees associated with it.

  • Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    Thank you Brendan for your response. Your completely right the important part is getting started. I am willing to start with a duplex or triplex or whatever fits my budget just to get some skin in the game.

  • Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    Scott and Phang thank you for your responses and welcomes. You all are dropping gems I appreciate it! Definitely  plan on looking in those surrounding areas and maybe even in CT. 

    FHA it is then! I love the fact that there are so many ways to get creative with financing. After I master the FHA I'll try other routes to leverage debt.

    Again thanks everyone , I will be checking back in when I purchase!

  • Julio GonzalezPro Member
    Specialist · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets, Glenn! You found the right place for information.

  • Real Estate Broker · Forney, TX · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 399 votes
    5y

    @Glenn Brathwaite, welcome to the BP community! Wishing you success!

  • John BucciPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Tarrytown, NY · Member since 2016 · 149 posts · 63 votes
    5y

    FHA is a good option, and if you have income / no debt you should have no problem qualifying. Step 1 - Talk to a mortgage broker for a pre-approval.

    Only challenge will be getting an accepted offer with the FHA loan in this competitive market. Certainly doable, just a bit tougher.

    Where in NY / CT are you looking? 

    @Glenn Brathwaite

  • Investor · Hollywood, FL · Member since 2015 · 16 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    @Glenn Brathwaite Hey Glenn, I'm originally from the NY TriState area, St Albans Queens to be exact.

    So I'm fairly familiar with the environs.

    Are you already working with Real Estate professionals? Agent, Mortgage Broker/Banker, Contractor, Title Company, etc?

    It's always a good idea to have your team lined up so that you're being as proactive as possible versus being reactive.

    Real Estate is an exciting journey but also involved, so reaching out to the community on here is an excellent move so that you can avoid common gotchas.

    Happy Hunting!!!!!

    Let me know if you need any help with connections in the local area.

  • Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 6 votes
    5y
  • Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    Hey @John Bucci thank you for your response. I plan on talking to local banks to see what I prequalify for this week.

    I haven't done enough research in all areas to say confidently, but I'm looking into places in Westchester

    like Mt. Kisco and anywhere south of that area, New Jersey near the city,  Greenwich (CT), and other areas like Yonkers or Mount Vernon.

    Hey @Indongo Davis thanks for the reply. That's awesome, I'm glad so many local people are on this forum.

    I'm not working with any real estate professionals just yet. I will definitely get the those things in check ASAP.

    I might just take you up on that, thanks again Indongo!

  • Investor · Hollywood, FL · Member since 2015 · 16 posts · 2 votes
    4y

    @Glenn Brathwaite - How are things going so far?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.