New member looking to learn, start and grow in Dallas, TX

New member looking to learn, start and grow in Dallas, TX

New to Real Estate · Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 2 votes

Hi everyone, 

I am a new member who just joined and would like to get into real estate investing. My current job is a W-2 office job but I plan to start and grow my Real Estate investment portfolio so that I can quit my full-time job in the upcoming years. I've been doing research and reading resources offered from BP, books, and local REI meet-up events. I think I am in a position where I'm ready to look for a primary residence and planned to use it to house hack to start my way into real estate investing. Any bits of advice and tips on how to start my first deal is greatly appreciated.

2Reply
16 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    Hi @Daniel Dang, Welcome to BiggerPockets! As an Investor-Agent myself, I have had several conversations of this topic with my clients and customers. Everyone has a different goals and investment criteria, so this is not a one size fit all kind of situation.

    I will suggest that you clearly define what you want and do some research then go from there.

    A local Investor-Agent can help shorten your learning curve and save you a lot of headaches as they tend to understand the market better.

    Use Niche.com, Greatschools.org and Msc.Fema.gov for your research.

    Goodluck and go make it happen

  • Julio GonzalezPro Member
    Specialist · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets, Daniel! 

  • Real Estate Broker · Forney, TX · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 399 votes
    4y

    @Daniel Dang, welcome to the BP community - I am also in the DFW area

  • Justin WindhamPro Member
    Banker · Nationwide · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Daniel Dang

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets,

    You’ll find plenty of friendly, knowledgeable people willing to help respond to your questions.

    There are a few self-contained guides that you can access here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/guides


    I really like the alerts feature that can quickly guide you to current topics that might interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    Identify your goals.....Long-term/Short term/Multi-family. Then go get one to get started. Remember one of the great things about pursuing the STR market is that you can always switch to LTR if the vacation rental thing doesn't work out for some reason....

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    4y

    Thank you all for the warm welcomes and the helpful tips.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.