a curious, excited, potential investor who owns nothing yet

a curious, excited, potential investor who owns nothing yet

New to Real Estate · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 3 votes

hey guys.  I live in Tulsa Oklahoma (south Tulsa specifically).  I am married with 2 little girls and 2 dogs.  I work as a lead product manager at Lumen technologies.  In 2019 my wife and I moved from our home in Broken Arrow to south Tulsa.  During the process of securing the loan for our new home the bank asked me if I was going to keep my original home in Broken Arrow or sell it.  The question caught me off guard and for a brief period we considered renting our original home.  We did not end up doing it (for which I am very grateful now because I knew nothing about renting at the time and now think it would have ruined me for ever renting in the future) however it planted a thought in the back of my head that drove me to do some reading now in 2021.  I picked up Brandon Turner's "Rental Property Investing" and additionally started listening to the bigger pockets podcast.  


My hopes for real estate investing are to eventually (years from now) secure a semi-passive income stream that requires minimal hands on management.  I have hopes then of spending much more time with my family and on my passions for media production.  Currently I have no investment properties but I have started formulating a timeline and a plan that starts with me buying one in the first part of 2022. 

1Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
4y

@Owen Hawbaker, You're starting out with the exact same number of properties that everyone else did. Zero. Educate yourself and jump in when you're ready. This site has a wealth of information.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2020 · 309 posts · 184 votes
    4y

    @Owen Hawbaker Welcome to the BP forums! You'll find several investors and agents who work in the Tulsa area here. (I do not personally)  You could do a search for different topics that are specific to the Tulsa market, and Oklahoma in general.  I believe there are a few investor meet-ups there as well.  You might check out this forum that is Tulsa specific https://www.biggerpockets.com/... for contacts and more info.  Keep us up to date on deals you find!

  • James NiemeyerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2017 · 60 posts · 36 votes
    4y

    Hey there @Owen Hawbaker I live out here in East Tulsa and I manage a small condo complex plus I have some rental properties out here. Broken Arrow is really growing isn't it? 

    Like you, I took things slow but steady (at first). I will say you made a smart move by getting a Bigger Pockets Pro membership. You can start out by doing lots and lots of analysis's uh...analyisii? Whatever :) The practice will help you. Just go thru the MLS or Realtor.com or where ever and start doing one or 5 a day.

    Watch the videos as well! Yer a pro member, so free playbacks!

    I haven't been to any of the meetups, but if you go, I'll go too. :) Let me know.

    EDIT: Uh...I got confused about which forum I was in...anyway...all that I said still counts. You'll just have to catch the video playbacks the next day and I think you won't be able to save your calculator projects...but you're in a good place. Lots of nice people here.

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    @Owen Hawbaker, You're starting out with the exact same number of properties that everyone else did. Zero. Educate yourself and jump in when you're ready. This site has a wealth of information.

  • Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 975 votes
    4y

    @Owen Hawbaker Welcome to bigger pockets and the wonderfully addicting world of real estate! I invest in Tulsa (from San Diego, where I'm stationed in the Navy) and I can tell you that you live in a great market! Let me know if I can help you out in any way. Good luck and keep us updated on your journey!

  • Julio GonzalezPro Member
    Specialist · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets, Owen! You found the right place for information. Good luck investing!

  • Justin WindhamPro Member
    Banker · Nationwide · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Owen Hawbaker

    It’s great to have you on the forums!

    This site is great if you are looking to invest into real estate, wholesaling, flipping, rentals, lending, self-directed IRA and Solo 401k investing, crypto, or tax and legal guidance.

    There are a few self-contained guides that you can access here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/guides


    Alerts can be really helpful too: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

  • Investor · San Jose Ca · Member since 2020 · 125 posts · 115 votes
    4y

    Welcom to BP @Owen Hawbaker !  I am a fellow Okie as well.  I grew up around Sulphur.  Cali transplant now.  Still have lots of family back there.   Good luck with your real estate journey..  Feel free to reach out if you have any questions or anything..

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.