Based on the current economy, what would you do?

Based on the current economy, what would you do?

Saint Charles, IL · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 3 votes

Based on the current economy with rising taxes and a slow exodus, what would your investment strategy be and why? Is it still a good opportunity for rentals or should we be looking to get in and get out (flips) as fast as possible? I know the play is different in the city vs rural areas, but I'm curious where everyone thinks Illinois is going.

2Reply
63 views

Most Popular Reply

Corby GoadeBusiness Member
Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
9y

My strategy never changes based on the economy- I buy and hold, only consider 1% or better deals within a certain area and price range. If you change your strategy based on the economy, you are bound to have problems. I don't have any idea about the market in Illinois, but for me, when the economy changes, the only thing than changes for me is how many of those deals I can find; In a "hot" market or economy, fewer deals, more competition, easier to get money. Everything is opposite in a cooler market climate.

See this reply in the discussion

41 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Corby GoadeBusiness Member
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    My strategy never changes based on the economy- I buy and hold, only consider 1% or better deals within a certain area and price range. If you change your strategy based on the economy, you are bound to have problems. I don't have any idea about the market in Illinois, but for me, when the economy changes, the only thing than changes for me is how many of those deals I can find; In a "hot" market or economy, fewer deals, more competition, easier to get money. Everything is opposite in a cooler market climate.

  • Investor · Downers Grove, IL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 955 votes
    9y

    @Casey Wohl

    To tag on what Corby mentioned, no one can control the macro level. 

    Most parts of Chicago are growing, not so sure with the rest of the state. I have both rentals and flips going on, but I will keep buying and selling - as long as the numbers make sense. 

  • Investor · TN · Member since 2014 · 508 posts · 167 votes
    9y

    @Casey Wohl,

    The network of investors I know in the Rockford area are still buying properties to hold when the numbers work.  With prices climbing this summer it is important to not get caught up in emotion.  

    Personally, I am still looking local but am also working to expand my knowledge of the surrounding areas in Wisconsin and Indiana plus other areas that I have connections to in Alabama and Pennsylvania.  I will continue to invest in Illinois but will also diversify when it makes sense (and that time is getting closer).

    Have you been looking out of state?  If so, are you looking at turnkeys?

  • Ottawa, IL · Member since 2016 · 242 posts · 107 votes
    9y

    I agree with @Corby Goade said. And to follow up with that (and as you said) I think it's really strategy should really be based on the demands of that market. I think certain places will always support flips (more or less) and others will always support rentals (more or less). 

    For me, what I see here, rentals are still great, but we could really use more flippers here for the lower end (not luxury flips) that can get more of our buyers into houses. Our market has always been nice to good flippers though and likewise, we have a very big number of people who invest exclusively in rentals (SFH, multiunit and complexes) with good results! I don't see it as an economy issue all that much.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Crown Point, IN · Member since 2009 · 482 posts · 216 votes
    9y

    I agree with what has already been said. If you can find a good deal, then I wouldn't worry about the economy too much. You also might want to look into Northwest Indiana. The property taxes are much lower than Illinois and that only adds to your profit.  We have a lot of investors buying out there and for good reason. I'm not saying to stay out of Illinois, I just think NW Indiana has a lot to offer. Purchase prices are also very reasonable and the rent prices are not much lower than Illinois.  Plus Illinois is losing people in droves and many of them are moving to NW Indiana. So home values are on the rise as well. 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 720 posts · 439 votes
    9y

    @Casey Wohl , Cash flow is king! Buy with the best terms possible, if it's up to four unit, get residential, fix 30-year loans and make sure you have good cash flow, also, buy in the best neighborhood you can buy. Markets next to the hottest neighborhoods. You can ride all markets with these type of properties! 

  • Saint Charles, IL · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    @Craig Wilcox,

    I considered turnkey but I'm new to REI and need to cut my teeth before I take the easy way out.

    I have looked at Northern Indiana but need to play in my backyard before figuring out how to invest at a distance. 

    All,

    I appreciate everyone's feedback. It reassures me that as long as the numbers make sense and you have multiple exit strategies, we can survive the market changes. 

    What will you do if you see another 2008 coming?

  • Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 885 votes
    9y

    @Craig Wilcox "What will you do if you see another 2008 coming?" That's the thing, you won't see it coming. It won't be derivatives on the secondary market with questions about who actually owns the overly inflated note, this time. It is more likely to be a domino effect called "contagion" of some financial event like failures of major banks in Italy and Cyprus or some other odd "black swan". We made it through the Savings and Loan crisis, we made it through the Tech Bubble burst, we made it through 9/11, (boy has that been expensive), we made it through 2008, albeit painfully, and we'll make it through the coming challenges. The key is to not have exposure when that happens. That is one difference between conventional buy & hold vs Subject To. With Subject To, you have less risk and weather the storms.

  • Saint Charles, IL · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Craig Wilcox 

    That is one difference between conventional buy & hold vs Subject To. With Subject To, you have less risk and weather the storms.

     Alright, can you explain why Subject To is less risk? 

  • Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 885 votes
    9y

    @Casey Wohl Sure. 

    Here is a list. I have a spread sheet as well. When you buy a house conventionally, you put 20% down so a $200,000 house means you are into it for $40,000 plus closing costs and carrying costs. 

    When I buy a $200,000 house with Subject To, I am into to it $100 down, maybe $5,000 to the seller for "walking money" and some closing costs. I'd much rather rather risk about $7,000 than $40,000 etc.,


    OPTION 1:
    OPTION 2:

    When Seller Uses RE Agent & Your’e Using Property For a Rental
    When Buying Subject To & Selling to Tenant Buyer
    Pro: Doesn't require specialized knowledge Pro: Little competition

    "Adequate" cash flow - Nothing Exciting
    Can be little $ down

    You get appreciation if property goes up
    Can do Unlimited number



    Can Get Started Much Sooner



    Get down payment (Cash $) back immediately



    Great Cash Flow



    No Bank Approval Needed



    No Maintenance or Repairs




    Con: Have To Have $45,000 Cash for Down Payment Con: Have To Have $15,000 Cash For Reserves (just in Case)

    Have To Have $15,000 Cash for Closing & Carrying Costs
    Due on Sale Clause

    Have to Get Bank Approval
    Must learn the technique

    Can only do 4 -10 properties depending on bank


    Competing with everyone else


    Requires 20% Down & other requirements


    If AC breaks - you fix it


    If roof needs replacing - you pay for it


    If toilet clogs - it's on you


    If house gets trashed - you un-trash it


    You take loss if property goes down in Value


    Tenant Can Trash The House

  • Manvel, TX · Member since 2017 · 21 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed I would definitely be interested in learning from your spreadsheet as well- if you are offering. I was already searching the BP podcasts for Subject-To episodes, and this criteria fits my needs perfectly.

  • Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 885 votes
    9y

    @Joseph Ali Sure, the spreadsheet I am working on doesn't yet have the elegance & visual simplicity that I am striving for but it will do for now. This is part 1 - I'll post the next section immediately following


    When Seller Uses RE Agent & For Using Property as a Rental
    When Buying Subject To & Selling to Tenant Buyer
    Asking Price MLS $225,000
    $225,000
    Balanced Owed $223,969
    $223,969
    RE Agent 6% $13,500
    $0  No Agent Involved
    Seller Brings to Closing ($12,469)
    $0  So No fees
    Asking Above ARV $0
    $0
    Seller Walking Money $0
    $0  Sometimes Walking Money





    If I Use Conventional Financing
    If I Use Subject To
    Asking Price MLS $225,000
    $225,000
    Amount Down - 20% $45,000
    $100    (I Give $100 Down)
    New Loan Amount $180,000
    $223,969   I Take Over Loan
    Title Report $600
    $600
    Closing Costs $1,250
    $1,250
    Monthly Payment $1,151
    $1,225     I Take Over



                     Existing Payment





    You can readily see that Conventional Financing
    requires much more money along with good credit.
    Subject To doesn't require much money and no credit requirement


  • Manvel, TX · Member since 2017 · 21 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed Great stuff! Can't wait to see more

  • Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 885 votes
    9y

    @Joseph Ali Now, for the tricky part. I tried to format this for BP and it is still a work in progress. 










    Hold Onto Property


    Sell To Tenant Buyer


    Rent To Tenant


    On a Lease Option


    Amount Down - 20% $45,000 *
    *
    Amount Down - $100 $100

    Closing Costs $1,850

    Closing Costs $1,850

    Rehab Costs $5,000

    Rehab Costs $0

    Carrying Costs $3,904

    Carrying Costs $4,125

    Actual Cash Needed $55,754 *
    *
    Actual Cash Needed $6,075

    Credit Approval Needed
    *
    *
    No Credit Approval Needed










  • Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 885 votes
    9y














    Hold Onto Property Sell To Tenant Buyer


    Rent To Tenant
    On a Lease Option


    Assume 3 Months
    Assume 3 Months


    to Rent
    to Sell

    Rehab/Maintenance $5,000
    Rehab/Maintenance $0

    1st Month Payment PITI $1,151
    1st Month Payment PITI $1,225

    2nd Month Payment PITI $1,151
    2nd Month Payment PITI $1,225

    3rd Month Payment PITI $1,151
    3rd Month Payment PITI $1,225

    1st Month Utilities $150
    1st Month Utilities $150

    2nd Month Utilities $150
    2nd Month Utilities $150

    3rd Month Utilities $150
    3rd Month Utilities $150

    Rent To Tenant $0
    Sell To Tenant Buyer $250,000

    Tenant Buyer Option $0
    Tenant Buyer Option $25,000

    Current Equity $34,246
    Current Equity ($4,844)

    So, I have $34,246 in equity Amount Down - 20%
    So, I have -$4,844 in equity

    But, I have $ 0 cash Minus Expenses
    But, I have $25,000 cash






  • Avondale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 46 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    great stuff on explaining Subject To's! 

  • Crystal SmithPro Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Casey Wohl:

    Based on the current economy with rising taxes and a slow exodus, what would your investment strategy be and why? Is it still a good opportunity for rentals or should we be looking to get in and get out (flips) as fast as possible? I know the play is different in the city vs rural areas, but I'm curious where everyone thinks Illinois is going.

    Our strategy w/ respect to Illinois is to continue to invest in the Chicagoland region.  This includes single families to flip & multis & apartments to hold.  

    Why?- While Illinois may have some problems the Chicagoland area is the 3rd largest MSA in the country (New York & Los Angeles are #1 & 2)  It's large & diverse.   & when compared to trying to do business in NY & LA, it's affordable.  

  • Equity Raiser and Turnkey Provider · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Casey Wohl:

    Based on the current economy with rising taxes and a slow exodus, what would your investment strategy be and why? Is it still a good opportunity for rentals or should we be looking to get in and get out (flips) as fast as possible? I know the play is different in the city vs rural areas, but I'm curious where everyone thinks Illinois is going.

     Buy and Hold is normally a strategy that makes it through even the hardest times. 

    More U.S. households are renting than at any point in 50 years

  • Saint Charles, IL · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    @Ken Min This sounds great for a buyer but what are the Pro's and Con's for the seller? How do you have a conversation with them to make them feel at ease with the process?

  • Investor · Away · Member since 2017 · 167 posts · 131 votes
    9y

    Wow I learned so much on Subject To's here, that was great, thanks! As to what you should do as an investor, well you might want to look for macro solutions to macro problems. If you are concerned that people are migrating I would look to see where they are migrating to and begin to size that market up for expansion. Texas has something crazy like 45%-50% of the total national internal migration numbers but if I were to look specifically at cook county I can tell you that there is a ton of migration away from there primarily to Arizona, California, and Florida. Thats not hypothetical that is census data so you might want to look into going one or all of those places. Another tact to take is to look at your one area of control, expense, and lessen it by investing to hold in states that are going to tax you the least. That is my two cents on the matter and without knowing you or your portfolio exactly we can only speak generally. Good luck!

    https://flowsmapper.geo.census.gov/map.html   

  • Investor · Anchorage, AK · Member since 2016 · 222 posts · 294 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Corby Goade:

    My strategy never changes based on the economy- I buy and hold, only consider 1% or better deals within a certain area and price range. If you change your strategy based on the economy, you are bound to have problems. I don't have any idea about the market in Illinois, but for me, when the economy changes, the only thing than changes for me is how many of those deals I can find; In a "hot" market or economy, fewer deals, more competition, easier to get money. Everything is opposite in a cooler market climate.

     Corby can you explain what you mean by %1 or better deals??

  • Corby GoadeBusiness Member
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Hey @Cam Jimmy, sure. I look for properties that the monthly rent will be 1% or more of the price of purchase, closing and repairs. That's generally a good way to quickly determine if I should look more closely at a property. So, in general, if purchase price is 85K, closing is 5K, repairs are 10K, it would cost me $100K to get a place rent ready. If I don't think I can either get the purchase price down to $85K or less OR rent of $1K per month or better, I move on to the next deal.

    There are many more variables, but that's a good quick indicator for me.

  • Real Estate Agent · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    The trend is your friend. Granted, there are always exceptions to the rule. I follow the numbers where ever the market takes me. A few years back I was buying at the beach, now I am in town. I have seen multi family generating great numbers and SFH. I rarely find the number taking me to A neighborhoods. As long as I stay true to my numbers, I am going to be fine in a worst case scenario. I can rent my properties below market and meet my fixed expenses and get through any storm. What will change is if I am net buyer or seller. Today, i am a net buyer. I will reassess that decision every day.

  • Registered Nurse (ICU) · San Jose, CA · Member since 2014 · 496 posts · 332 votes
    9y
    Wait!
  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Casey Wohl,

    Well, you won't be seeing the mass exodus some folks envision: no highways jammed with U-hauls headed out-of-state or any of that.

    I would proceed with business as usual, mindful of local market trends and the usual economic factors.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.