Is there anything I can do with really loud squeaking floors?

Is there anything I can do with really loud squeaking floors?

Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hello, I am actually the tenant in this scenario. Yes, I aspire to be on the other end of the tenant/landlord relationship, but I wanted to ask this question, I figured this would be a good place. My upstairs neighbor is a chef, he wakes up really early (4 am). I like him we talked, I don't wanna make him tippy toe, and even if he did the squeaking will keep going. The sound is really loud, and no amount of fan or white noise can mask it. my landlord is a property management company and their approach has been to ignore me so far. My girlfriend and I have lost many nights of sleep over this. my lease expires in OCT, so we are going to leave for sure, but thought I ask anyways if there is anything I can do. I even bought a decibel reader to measure how loud the sound is. for a bedroom in the middle of the night, it reaches 80-90 Db.

0Reply
5 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y

    Is the floor squeaking in one area or multiple areas?

  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    Would take screws and glue

    Logical Property Management4.9453 Reviews
  • Realtor · Hanover Twp, PA · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    @Georgi A Georgiev, call the police! 80-90 db is ILLEGAL at 4am. Just 80 db is as loud as a police siren in your bedroom!

    Let's be serious, we all know the noise isn't 80-90 db in your bedroom from floors squeaking from normal walking. Face the fact that you are overly sensitive to noises like this as MANY people grew up in older homes where these noises are common and it wasn't an issue.

    Perhaps look into some kind of white noise machine to dull the impact these small noises have on you. Perhaps you won't want up if you have white noise.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.