Presidential race, 2008

Presidential race, 2008

Member since 2008 · 26 posts · 0 votes

Any thoughts?

I am for Ron Paul...

He strikes me as the only honest guy up there, on either side.

Any other thoughts?

0Reply
66 views

98 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    18y

    I'll allow the political discussion, as long as it remains civil. The second that it gets out of hand, I'm going to shut it down!

    Be warned . . .

    Thanks :lol:

  • Real Estate Investor · Millsboro, DE · Member since 2008 · 480 posts · 26 votes
    18y

    lol I cant wait to see where this one goes.

    My only comment about politics & forums, is that I will never comment.

  • York, PA · Member since 2008 · 227 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    Bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

    I'm going to grab some popcorn and watch this one.

    I wonder if it will look like this :pissed: :shoot:

    Good Luck,

    Jason

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    18y

    Jason -
    I'm 100% with you. Normally, I wouldn't allow it, but I'm curious to see how fast the blood starts to spill! :eyes:

  • Member since 2008 · 26 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    lol

    no need for nastiness, we can just say who we support! after all, this does apply to investing and the general state of the economy...

    :lol:

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · OH · Member since 2008 · 553 posts · 24 votes
    18y

    Hillary and Bill in 2008 -- It is part of a long range plan.

  • Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 447 votes
    18y

    Well said.

    Originally posted by "theavocado":
    this does apply to investing and the general state of the economy...

    I have known a number of politicians and I wonder how they ever got elected. My first experience was when I was in the financial services industry and a congressman came to talk to a group of financial planners to discuss changes to the estate tax laws. He was prepared to spin things as if he was talking to his constituents who had very little knowledge of estate tax laws. Instead he was bombarded with questions about how the changes were going to affect the step up in basis of inherited property, how sales of closely held businesses to family members would be treated, how the changes in the unified credit would impact existing credit shelter trusts and on and on. He was dumbfounded and stammered a few awkward responses and the group asked him how he could enact a law when he had no clue as to what the consequences would be. He couldn’t get out of that meeting fast enough and probably burned rubber all the way to Washington. That was when I concluded that most elected officials were idiots.

    I know a former state senator from Nevada who sat on the Finance Committee when she was in office. She said that most of the committee members spent money like drunken sailors and no concern for the future impact of legislation. They just worried about how it would play out in the polls and if it would be good for their re-election prospects.

    Like the old joke says: How do you know if a politician is lying? It easy, his lips are moving!

    8)

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 9 votes
    18y

    Same here Hillary for 2008!

  • York, PA · Member since 2008 · 227 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    Rehab,

    I have spent some time meeting some of the politicians from this area and I am stunned and amazed at the absolute lack of practical knowledge that they possess. These people have been given the responsibility of managing the direction of my county and state, yet I would not let most of them manage a hot dog cart.

    Perhaps I'm too cynical. I don't necessarily dismiss every politician as a hack either. A few that I have met are really trying to do the right thing, but they seem to be ignored because they don't toe the party line.

    I keep threatening my wife with a run for the township supervisor's board or for a county commissioner's seat. I just feel I should put up or shut up. Maybe I can make a difference ... maybe everyone who gets elected thinks that and then gets eaten up by the machine.

    Who knows. I don't think things are that bad, I just wonder if they could be better.

    Jim and Calixto,

    What is it about Hillary that has drawn you to her? I am not being Dem/Repub I am just asking for the sake of discussion.

    Good Luck,

    Jason

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 9 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "navydoc":
    I have spent some time meeting some of the politicians from this area and I am stunned and amazed at the absolute lack of practical knowledge that they possess. These people have been given the responsibility of managing the direction of my county and state, yet I would not let most of them manage a hot dog cart.
    Thank God i wasn't drinking coffe or hot tea (LOL)! Well a lot of the government officials are picked based on who they are rather than what they know and what they can offer! Our Government structure is one of the best seen thus far but how much of a foundation do we really have? At one point there may be just too much pressure positioned in one place that will give way to our foundation. And if you can see as good as I would like think some of us can then you know we have many cracks and loop holes in our "streamline system"!
    Originally posted by "navydoc":

    I keep threatening my wife with a run for the township supervisor's board or for a county commissioner's seat. I just feel I should put up or shut up. Maybe I can make a difference ... maybe everyone who gets elected thinks that and then gets eaten up by the machine.
    I would vote for you if I lived in the town that you wished to run for council!
    Originally posted by "navydoc":

    What is it about Hillary that has drawn you to her? I am not being Dem/Repub I am just asking for the sake of discussion.
    I think it is about time we have a woman as our top representer of our 13 cabinet members. Also we had a very good time when Bill Clinton was under presidency and I would expect the same from Hillary!
  • Residential Real Estate Agent · OH · Member since 2008 · 553 posts · 24 votes
    18y

    Navydoc -- Hillary in 2008 -- Republican sweep of the Senate, House, and Excutive office in 2012. With the current economy the Republicans have not had great support. The last time we had a balanced budget is when we had a Republican house and Senate and they continually cut the spending requests of the Democratic President. The people that I talk to seem to place blame for we are going through on the Presidency so let them have their wish and we can watch what happens.
    Every thing goes in cycles and we have had a good run on this latest economic growth swing. People do not look at cycles but look to place blame, give them a good reason to place blame. We as a country can stand anything for four years look at the Carter era.

  • Investor · Bellefonte, PA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 88 votes
    18y

    So if Ron Paul gets elected and one of his major issues is curbing inflation, moving back to the gold standard, and or shutting down the feds..... doesn't that make all of our investment growth slow down, because then tomorrow's dollar won't be quite as worthless as todays...

  • Homeowner · Stony Brook, NY · Member since 2008 · 69 posts · 5 votes
    18y

    They all strike me as used car salesmen making promises they will not be able to keep.

    I did see what Rudy did to the city of New York as mayor and he did an amazing job. New York City was a crime infested, dirty, sleezy place and Rudy got the city back in order when he became mayor. It has become one of the safest, cleanest cities in the country. (Hard to believe, I know). I guess I'm a Rudy supporter.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "msokolski":

    I did see what Rudy did to the city of New York as mayor and he did an amazing job. New York City was a crime infested, dirty, sleezy place and Rudy got the city back in order when he became mayor. It has become one of the safest, cleanest cities in the country. (Hard to believe, I know). I guess I'm a Rudy supporter.

    Rudy did indeed help clean up the city. He is not, however, running on what he did for the city, but on what he did on 9/11. Rudy was absolutely visible to the world on 9/11 and afterwards, but what did he actually do other than speak to the nation and try to quell people's fears? What policies did he set? How did he protect the country?

    There were 2 things that he did that no one even talks about anymore:
    1 - He sought a three-month extension of his mayoral term from January 1, 2002 to April 1, 2002, claiming that the city couldn't transition under the circumstances. This power grab, is nothing but a sign of things to come, if elected to higher office.
    2 - He rushed to tell people that "the air quality is safe and acceptable" and to return to lower Manhattan. He also ignored the fact that study after study found that this was not the case. I understand trying to get the city back online and moving, but it must be done in a safe manner. People were put at risk, and I can tell you that I know people who are sick from working down there in the aftermath. I was down there less than a week afterwards and frankly, I too was put at risk . . .

    Does 9/11 really qualify him to be president, or he just using it because that is how people know him? People are emotionally tied to the event, and his continuing use of 9/11 strikes a chord in many people. Most don't know about the refusal to leave office after his term ended, most don't know that he handed a no-bid contract for non-working radios to Motorola even though they were found to be faulty after the 1993 Trade Center Bombings, most don't know that he put lives at risk by allowing responders to work in dangerous conditions without proper gear.

    Unfortunately, after the harrowing pictures of 9/11, what does he have? Again, he did get the city on its feet after years of neglect from previous mayors, but if the guy ran on his real accomplishments instead of his 9/11 stump, he'd be more of a legitimate candidate to me and every other New Yorker I know. Everybody says, "Never Forget" in reference to the tragedy . . . this should also apply to the real side of what Rudy did in reference to 9/11.

  • York, PA · Member since 2008 · 227 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    For you New Yorkers ... what is your opionion of Bloomberg?

    Good Luck,

    Jason

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Conroe, TX · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 43 votes
    18y

    All I can say is, eenie, meenie mynee......."Can I just do a Quick Pick, like Lotto?". lol Or better yet just put Mr./Mrs., "Mystery Choice", on the ballet and I'll pick that one. I'm not thrilled with any of the choices.

    I just can't associate with any of the choices. Once again it's a case of the lesser of which evil.

    The Puppetmasters call the shots no matter who wins. Why don't they reveal themselves so we can decide whether or not to vote for them.

    P.S. Disclaimer to make this comment Politically Correct........
    The above mentioned comment is only a random view. Depending on the reader's response it may or may not be the personal view of the writer. lol

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    18y

    Nice Dick! I think your opinion is amplified throughout our country. Sad that there isn't anyone out there that really brings it.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Conroe, TX · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 43 votes
    18y

    I apologize if I seem rather sarcastic. I'm actually a very cheerful person.

    It just seems like a job where an individual is paid close to a 1/2 mil per year for tap dancing. Seeing that the candidates are usually wealthy or from fairly wealthy families prior to taking the position......why fight for such a position, what's really going on. Civic duty? Service to our country? The overall well being of mankind? Or power, world domination and minipulation?

    If it's the first three reasons, then do the job on a volunteer basis. Or better yet, donate funds into the government coffer then swear into office and take the position. The one who's donates the most gets the job. :beer:

    With all that said, I support and respect the office of the Presidency. I still uphold the view of loyal opposition, I just didn't expect it to apply to the party that I voted for. I usually vote Republican. My sarcasim stems from overall dis-satisfication with the handling of major issues affecting our country.

    God Bless America!

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Conroe, TX · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 43 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "navydoc":
    Rehab,

    I keep threatening my wife with a run for the township supervisor's board or for a county commissioner's seat. I just feel I should put up or shut up. Maybe I can make a difference ... maybe everyone who gets elected thinks that and then gets eaten up by the machine.

    Who knows. I don't think things are that bad, I just wonder if they could be better.

    Good Luck,

    Jason

    Same Here loki005. Doc's got my vote.

  • York, PA · Member since 2008 · 227 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    Dick,

    I can give you two good examples as to why this theory falls apart. Ted Kennedy and Jay Rockefeller. Both serve in their positions for free in the sense that they donate their entire salary to charity. Both are incompetent and blatantly socialist.

    I can also give you two positive examples. Mike Bloomberg and Mitt Romney. Both serve is their respective positions for free for the same reason. I find both to be straightforward and competent.

    As I am typing this, I notice that this is very partisan, but it was not meant to be that way. I just couldn't think of any Dems who work for free who are useful or any other Repubs who work for free period.

    Not sure how we would do it, but we need to get the money out of elections. Because right now a select few are basically buying their way into the game and the rest of us can only sit and watch.

    Jason

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Conroe, TX · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 43 votes
    18y

    NavyDoc,

    I was just joking. I never knew that there are currently politicians holding offices for free or donating salaries. Now I'm really suspicious. lol

  • Boonies, PA · Member since 2008 · 333 posts · 15 votes
    18y

    I thought Arnold Rep. Governor CA works for free as well.

    How do you think Hillary would do without being a Clinton, take away what fame she has had?

    Ron Paul does turn my head.

    Heck just look at the attention Stephen Colbert gets.

    As an Independent I would like to see some kind of balance in the house, congress and the president. Personally I would like to see a former Governor, or mayor as the President. I don't really know what a senator does besides make bills?

    To say who you are voting for now is about laughable. only a year to go. Look at Howard dean. Man just went crazy.....

  • Loveland, CO · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 123 votes
    18y

    I used to have a good buddy who thought that only the very wealthy should be politicians. "Let's face it, if your or I get in there we're going to be so busy stealing everything that's not nailed down that we'll never do the people's business", but Ted Kennedy and these other rich guys already have enough money, so they'll do the work".

    Although he was only 1/2 kidding I used to understand the sentiment. Unfortunately the last 20 years has seen the rise of the "millionaire" Senator and for the most part they are/were complete BOOBS. Although IMO most members of the US Senate and house are so/so at best, too many of them are religious fanatics who draw most of their support from a very fringe group of voters.

    It's the 21st century folks. How secure do you really feel when a "serious" candidate for President from one of our two major parties either does NOT believe in evolution, or worse, isn't sure if he believes.

    Right now I'm actively working to defeat any Republican I can find. If Ron Paul decides to leave the Republican party I'll become a groupie for him and work really hard to get him in.

    Other than that I'm considering my own run for President. I already have my campaign slogan, which will appear on all bumper stickers and billboards.

    "The job needs Frank, and Frank needs the job!"

    or perhaps (and this one I shamelessly stole from Kinky Friedman, who should be our Governor now):

    "Frank for President, after all how hard can the job be." (Meaning just look at who's doing it now)

    all cash

  • York, PA · Member since 2008 · 227 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    Mach and Dick,

    Yeah, forgot about Ahhnold. John Corzine (Gov of NJ) also declines his salary. Of course, he was the CEO of Goldman Sachs so he has a fair amount of pocket change. I have little problem with either Arnold or Corzine because they have practical real world experience.

    Mach ... as to your question about Hillary ... I don't dislike her because she is a Liberal Dem ... I dislike her because she is fraud. She is a socialist of the lowest order who gravitated to that line of thought without ANY real world experience of her own. If Bill Clinton had not been President ... Hillary would be a two bit laywer somewhere. As such, her last name is the only reason she is in the running this time. I have to believe that most people are really just re-electing Bill Clinton.

    Cash,

    I too am very dismayed by GWB. I also agree with you that a large percentage of our Congress is beholden to either of the two extreme sides of the political spectrum. Here in PA we have a clean sweep initiative going that is attempting to do just that ... clean out all of the incumbants and start over. Got rid of a lot of them two years ago ... and a whole bunch more are going on Tuesday.

    Jason

  • Loveland, CO · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 123 votes
    18y

    Yeah navydoc; anyone who desires reelection should automatically be disqualified.

    While Pennsylvanians don't owe the rest of the country as big an apology as Texans do, you should still hang your heads in shame. Why? Two words; Rick Santorum.

    I tend to disagree with some of your characterizations of Sen. Clinton. Anyone that driven would've done pretty well on her own. And I do remember several Republican Senators (actually she's a bit of an R. in some of her statements) saying that she is generally regarded as bright, and a VERY HARD WORKER in the Senate.

    I can't recall the name of the CBS news lady (regular contributor to CBS Sunday Morning show) who graduated from college with Hillary Rodham. She said when her Mom met Hillary at graduation she was so taken with her drive and knowledge that she told the daughter; "that lady is going to be President some day".

    Since none of you cheap dogs hanging out here have seen fit to send me a couple of $MM to get my exploratory committe going. I'm just going to have to keep stealing the old fashioned way.

    all cash

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.