Presidential race, 2008

Presidential race, 2008

Member since 2008 · 26 posts · 0 votes

Any thoughts?

I am for Ron Paul...

He strikes me as the only honest guy up there, on either side.

Any other thoughts?

0Reply
57 views

98 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Boonies, PA · Member since 2008 · 333 posts · 15 votes
    18y

    Yes good ol Rick. 6 one way half a dozen another. TX, PA FL were ever. If Bush and a Kerry vote is the best we Americans can come up with we are all in trouble....... What most people do need to understand that a local either township, county, or state can do more for you than Federal. It's just important you know who stands for what and who is even running. Gotta love those people that enter the cubical and just pick REP or DEM and not know what they stand for.

    Were is Ross Perot. I loved those charts.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Conroe, TX · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 43 votes
    18y

    So what are the thoughts on Thompson. If it's a popularity contest, I like a lot of the positions that he takes on Law and Order. I also like the fact that he didn't kick his drug pushing partner in front of the train.
    http://daytonos.com/?p=492 This is another story will disappear before you can link to it.

  • Loveland, CO · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 123 votes
    18y

    Of course the "positions" he takes on L&O are all scripted. The guy was proven to be a mole during the Watergate hearings. After Reagan and Bush 43 I've had enough of "likeable dumb guys". Let's get back to something basic like COMPETENCE.

    all cash

  • Real Estate Investor · Santa Fe Springs, CA · Member since 2008 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    18y
    Originally posted by "theavocado":
    Any thoughts?

    I am for Ron Paul...

    He strikes me as the only honest guy up there, on either side.

    Any other thoughts?

    :D :superman:

  • Member since 2008 · 15 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    These folks started campaigning too early...I will wait until September 2008 to make a decision!

    Rory

  • Asheville, NC · Member since 2008 · 107 posts · 10 votes
    18y

    George H. W. Bush 1989-1993
    Bill Clinton Clinton 1993-2001
    George W. Bush 2001-2008

    Hillary Clinton in 2008?
    Seems like a duopoly to me. 25 years of bush/clintons...

  • Real Estate Agent · Pueblo, CO · Member since 2008 · 22 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    I want Ron Paul for president, for a number of reasons. The biggest reasons are the following:

    1. He wants to abolish the IRS. How many people like paying taxes to the IRS? I know I don't. I'd love to be able to keep all that money. Government services? Don't make me laugh. While an argument can be made that we receive services from our state and local governments, we certainly don't receive our money's worth from the federal government.

    2. He wants to bring the troops home--ALL the troops, not only the troops in Iraq. It is bizarre that the U. S. has troops in 130 nations. I can't afford to pay for the geopolitical entertainment of the millionaires in Washington D. C.

    3. He wants to bring us back to the gold standard. Fiat money is the single most insideous form of taxation in existence. The federal government simply prints money out of thin air, spends it, and instantly your bank account is worth less.

    As far as I'm aware, all the other presidential candidates pretty much just want to keep taxing, warring, and inflating. No thank you. Give me peace, prosperity, and sound money instead.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Murrieta, CA · Member since 2008 · 117 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    Not much of one to promote any candidate as I try to stay away from politics as much as possible, but I grew up in NYC and have never seen or heard of a politician in our generation that had the leadership skills as Rudy.

    When its written of how Rudy cleaned up NYC I don't think most who weren't there really understand how much he cleaned up the city. I can remember major areas of Manhattan where you couldn't have stop your car at a red light without having what they called "squeegy guys" run up to your car and start cleaning your windows (without your permission) and then demand being paid. Most of the time they made your windows dirtier, but they would get very abrasive and threatening to each driver if you didn't pay them. In NYC, you can hit a red light pretty regularly every 1-2 blocks so imagine having to deal with this 10 or more times within a short period of time. Rudy got rid of this problem. As in most cities, there are places where individuals can go to get a meal and have shelter and NYC was the same. Panhandling is one thing, but the squeegy scenario was just a mess.

    I can remember walking in Times Square and every street corner at least one prostitute would solicit me and my friends as we waiting for a green light. Didn't matter if I was in a car or not. Rudy cleaned that up.

    There used to be a major strip club row near many areas such as Broadway that people would walk by to get to Broadway shows and other attractions. It was extremely sleazy. Rudy got rid of them and brought Corporate America in. Where there used to be strip clubs you know have companies in those locations such as Disney.

    Before he was Mayor he was I believe the District Attorney or Assistant District attorney. Want to talk about tough on fighting crime, on multiple occasions he went after John Gotti trying to clean up and get rid of organized crime. Back then the mob ran most things and for a guy to go after them and live it is understood that Rudy was clean and trying to protect the citizens of NY and fear is not in his vocabulary.

    Let's not forget that the US needs to be respected to avoid foreign attacks. I still remember the Iranian hostages being released the day that Reagan took office because Iran knew what President could be messed around with and which one they knew wouldn't stand for it. Rudy would be feared by other nations, which is not necessarily a bad thing in today's age of terrorism.

    Before Rudy, there used to be major riots whenever there was even the hint of a racial incident, whether it was truly racially motivated or not. Famous activists would get involved and basically put gasoline on the fire and stir up more problems. Rudy kept them at bay and the riots ceased and true justice was sought out.

    Rudy was part of closing down the Fresh Kills Landfill. It was the largest landfill on the face of the planet and the largest man made structure on the face of the planet. When the space shuttle was about 600 miles up from the earth the astronauts could view 2 man made structures, the great wall of China, and the Great Kills Landfill. Closing it down did wonders for the environment and the local citizens of Staten Island (one of the boroughs of NYC). It was only temporarily re-opened due to 9/11 as that was the closest place to put all the rumble from the Towers which was later sifted through looking for remains.

    The city was in such a mess that many people wanted Rudy to stay in place for the benefit of the city as the attacks happened so close to his leaving the office.

    Rudy even crossed party lines in his recommendation for Democratic Governor Cuomo over the Republican candidate who later went on to win the election, showing that he publicly and privately truly gave his opinion and support without worrying about partisan motives doing what he believed best for his constituents.

    These were just some of the positive things that Rudy did for NYC.
    Keep in mind that Rudy was mayor of a city that on any given business day had over 8 million people in it as many workers would commute daily from PA, NJ, and CT to work mostly in Manhattan. He basically was the leader of the biggest city in the country (a bigger responsibility than that of many Governor's in states of smaller sized populations).

    I'm not saying that he never made mistakes, but he is tough, fair and gets the job done.

    We live in a 2 party system. Not saying it is right, but it is the reality. I've voted for different parties over the years.

    I'm not the biggest Clinton fan. I wasn't too happy when Hillary made the move to NY strictly for political motives when running for Senator. I'm not saying that good things didn't happen during the Clinton Presidency, but let's keep in mind that the internet and technology revolution hit during that Presidency, the country was going to be prosperous no matter who held the executive office. Let's not forget Whitewater and some of the other unmentionables that went on during that Presidency though.

    Anyway, didn't mean to write so much, just giving some facts and some opinions.

    The truth is I respect all opinions as that's what makes this country so great, the fact that we can freely express our opinions.

  • Property Manager · Portsmouth, NH · Member since 2008 · 102 posts · 13 votes
    18y

    I lived in Massachusetts when he was governor and really thought he did a good job. A very innovative man.

    Of the Democrats, my favorite is Hillary, just because she seems highly competent. (This gets me dirty looks in the Romney office.)

    Huckabee-Edwards? I'll be posting about Argentinian farmland.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    18y

    Guiliani did accomplish quite a few things in NY, but as I said earlier, the guy is a scary individual. If you are even slightly bothered by the withering of privacy here in the US, just wait until Rudy gets some power. His hawkishness makes Bush/Cheney look like docile lovebirds.

    Edwards is a huge disappointment to me. He had good ideas the last time he ran and might have some now, but they are disguised by his angry campaign. He just feels like he's running with this huge chip on the shoulder. I lost all respect for him when he stopped running on his own merits and started to run a campaign that was only about the other candidates.

    Huckabee seems like the only honest Republican (other than Paul and McCain), but he seems to be too far Right to be electable.

    McCain has experience and would likely make a great leader - no one seems to care, though. Same goes for Biden and Dodd . . .

    I could go on, but I'm tired . . .

  • Member since 2008 · 13 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    LOL :lol: This is funny. I think we have time to research the vital issues to us. No one has knocked my socks off. Have a great day.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Conroe, TX · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 43 votes
    18y

    I heard Friday that Oprah was planning on tossing money towards the Obamma camp. That's a scary proposition. She's got alot of money to toss.

    I've been listening to Romney lately and am leaning more toward his views on morality.

  • Loveland, CO · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 123 votes
    18y

    Romney! You're kidding me. The guy just made a speech where he said that he "fully supports" the religion of his forefathers! This is the religion that said (until '78 or so) that "blacks were that color because they turned away from God", that supports RAPE (in the form of coerced marriage), among other pretty goofy beliefs. Not that Mormonism has the corner on goofy beliefs among religions.

    He equates his son's driving around Iowa in a Hummer campaigning for him to be the equivalent of our soldiers serving in Irag and Afghanistan.

    He laments his failure to serve in Viet-Nam, yet made sure his RELIGIOUS DEFERMENT was always intact so that he could do "missionary work" in France!

    This idiot can't decide if waterboarding is torture!

    He thinks we should expand Guantanamo Bay (meaning the prison part of it), despite the fact that many of those held there have already been released or are now believed by the CIA to have been brought in as the result of "grudge accusations".

    He has changed postions on virtually EVERY one of the (often touted) "key" issues in this election.

    Please, spare us more of these millionaires who can only noticed by funding their own campaigns and say whatever they think the audience currently in front of them wants to hear!

    all cash

  • Property Manager · Portsmouth, NH · Member since 2008 · 102 posts · 13 votes
    18y

    I can't defend two things about Romney. 1, the comment about how his sons were serving in their own way by helping him get elected. 2, one time he took the family and dog on a long trip - many years ago - and put the dog in the pet carrier on top of the car.

    I honestly don't care about his religion. When I call on his behalf, people ask me if I am a Mormon (no) and are relieved - no, this really isn't a Mormon conspiracy.

    I consider this the big competence election. We need competent people in the White House. Having made Massachusetts work better, the Olympics work better and many, many private companies work better - or work at all - I think Romney has a lot of credibility here.

    Finally, on Guantanamo - a different perspective. My brother served in Afganistan. He took part in getting one guy to Guantanamo. This person had been physically seen shooting at Americans AND his name was on captured documents showing him as a terrorist cell leader. That was the standard they needed to meet to get him to Gitmo. Others who have been released from Gitmo have gone back to what they were doing before, which was killing Americans. I have no sympathy for them.

  • Residential Lender · Buffalo, MN · Member since 2008 · 14 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    I would like to see a Fred Thompson/Rudy Guiliani ticket.

  • Loveland, CO · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 123 votes
    18y

    So how come everyone that was so upset about a little BJ for a Democratic President doesn't seem to care about the "family values" and general values of these two:

    Guiliani; married his cousin, had an affair (with police protection) while still married to his second wife, hired a guy who anyone with a pulse knew was mobbed up, and then when called on that part of it, admitted that he "didn't do his homework" prior to naming Kerik Police Commissioner, still recommended him to be head of Homeland Security AFTER HE SAYS HE KNEW ABOUT THE MOB CONNECTIONS.

    To name just a few!

    This guy should be a perennial contestant (in the center square) on Tic Tac Dough. He's really famous for being famous, that's it.

    Fred Thompson; MOLE TO THE NIXON WHITEHOUSE while serving as counsel to the Senate Watergate Committee! C'mon, he was a mole for NIXON!!!

    Please folks, read a newspaper, don't just get your news from campaign advertisements and Fox News.

    all cash

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    18y

    Cash -
    I'm 100% with you. Too many people just listen to what the pundits say and don't do any thinking or work on their own. I've watched every debate (Republican & Democrat), read everything possible online and off, and continue to do research. If everyone out there did half of what I do, we'd have a way more informed electorate.

    Instead, we've got a country of people who pick their Politicians because of commercials on TV, radio ads, propaganda, and because Oprah tells them to do so.

    If people don't take the time to do their homework, they have no right to complain when the moron they elect turns out to be worthless.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Murrieta, CA · Member since 2008 · 117 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    What mob in New York? lol

    Seems like every politician has some skeletons in the closet or some hidden agenda.

    Joshua is right that it is important to research and learn about the individuals to know the facts instead of just taking commercials at face value or deciding to vote for someone because someone famous has endorsed the candidate.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Conroe, TX · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 43 votes
    18y

    I'm glad Joshua is letting this topic play out. There's some great information coming out.

    I heard that Stuff on Romney's religion earlier today. Religion and politics are both difficult topics and the source of many differences. I'm learning a lot of information in this thread.

    I knew Mormanism was a cultic type religion but was unaware of it's views toward blacks. Don't think I've ever seen a black Morman....lol

    Even thought there's no strong Republican Candidates...I refuse to vote for Obama simply cause he looks black.

    What about this Huckabee Guy? Seems morally strong,.....believes in a strong military, strong on immigration and protecting the borders, believes men should marry women and vice versa, ..........yaadee,,,,yaadee,,,,yaaa

    Really looks good on paper....lol

  • Loveland, CO · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 123 votes
    18y

    Yeah Huckabee will look good, until people take a good look at him. I'm glad to see the whole thing about all the pardons and clemencies he issued while governor is finally coming out.

    This is really going to show his poor judgement. It seems that he ALWAYS pardoned anyone who got a recommendation from a minister because the miscreant is "saved". That coupled with the fact that many of the pardons were issued strictly to satisfy requests from far right wing types.

    Included in this is the fact that the pardon that got all the attention last week (the convicted rapist, who went on to rape and KILL after released), was really pushed by the hard right-wingers because the woman he was convicted of raping in Arkansas was a relative of BILL CLINTON. Therefor the guy should automatically get a pardon.

    Read a bit more on this guy and he'll be gone by the end of January.

    all cash

  • Real Estate Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2008 · 133 posts · 7 votes
    18y

    I am for Obama. In my mind, he is an energized and charismatic character who has united both sides of the aisle in the past and will do it as president.

    2008 should be a year where a great change is made, and I hope that there is a new last name in power apart from the Bushes and Clinton of the past.

    I appreciate his ideas on helping our environment and the people of America.

  • Real Estate Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2008 · 133 posts · 7 votes
    18y

    I feel Ron Paul is too radical for the position.

    Although his constitutionalist background is very admirable, I simply don't think we can allow the free market to totally work out problems with, Environmental Protection, for example. Transportation safety would be another biggie.

    He is a very good man and an extremely good lawmaker though.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    18y

    Chris -
    Tell us more about your thoughts on Obama. Can you share more about his plans for the future? He does a lot of talking about change, but how is he going to make a change?

    He'll still have the same congress in power to deal with . . . is he magically going to transform Republicans to somehow agree with him on issues that they have no intentions of agreeing with him on? He'll still have a Supreme Court that is slanted to the right, too . . .

    While he has helped to get out a new part of the electorate, he has not done much to educate that electorate. if you ask people why they vote for him, they say it is because he is for change. When you ask what he's going to do, they can't answer.

    Is it a good thing that more people are voting now . . . sure. Is it good that they have no idea why they are voting for a candidate - no way!

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y

    Personally I am primarily a conservative republican but wouldn't moan and complaing if we had a democrat president this next round. There has to be checks and balances in place. Even as a republican there's something that fundamentally bothers me about a republican white house, republican senate and republican supreme court.

    I don't agree with a lot of Obama's views on many things, but I think he is going to win. There are too many factors in his favor. First, people want change. Ironically they want change, but don't know exactly what they want changed. The easiest thing is to change political parties in the White House. Second, Obama sells. He's an African American JFK. The guy is very charming. People underestimate that importance. Third, People keep talking about wanting to make history with this next election. They could either do it by electing the first woman or the first minority as president. The woman selection has created 30 years of an image that she is trying to reverse in 6 months. Not gonna happen. Bill was charming, Hillary wasn't. That was their whole marketing strategy before. Can't flip that. Obama's fresh. He hasn't been around long enough for a lot of bad press. They don't have an archive of bad soundbytes of him.

    Would I vote for Obama? Doesn't matter - he's got Illinois locked up. lol

    Tim

  • Real Estate Investor · Member since 2008 · 340 posts · 34 votes
    18y

    I decided in mid-December that I was going to vote for McCain on the IL Feb. 5th the primary (Super Tuesday). Up until that point, I had been a Romney guy. But, Mitt started to flip flop to much for my tastes, which is to bad because I fell that Mitt had excellent credentials in both the private and public sectors.

    I may not agree with all of McCain's views, but he is patriot and a man of integrity. Heck, there are times the far right would like to dump him because he has gone against the Republican party.

    There has been talk of Obama on this board and I have seen him rise to power in my own backyard, but Obama has more or less worked as a civil servant or politician his whole career and I have always have felt that if I vote for someone they should have at one point worked in the private sector.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.