Gift Card Resellers (Cashpool/Cardcash.com)

Gift Card Resellers (Cashpool/Cardcash.com)

Investor · Bossier City, LA · Member since 2014 · 118 posts · 14 votes

Does anyone have any experience purchasing gift cards from either Cashpool, Cardcash, or anyone card reseller?

Resellerratings.com gives Cardpool a 1.5/10 and Cardcash 4.67/10.

Buying Home Depot cards with -12% off the face value (at Cardpool) is very tempting, but their 1.5 rating scares me away. (Cardcash has -7.4%.)

2Reply
11 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
12y

I've been buying gift cards to HD (and other places) for several years. I won't list the site here because they run out of cards a lot, and if I give it out, I will never get cards again. The place that I go has anywhere from 5-9% off for HD and an additional 3% if you buy $1,000 at a time. (I always do). They also have cards for most places. I get cards for Olive Garden, Logan's, Applebees, Dairy Queen, etc.

The place I get cards guarantees them for 45 days. I've never had a problem with a card and I've bought lots of them. I have had problems with slow shipping and also times where I purchase the cards, but they are unable to produce some of them and then offer a refund for those amounts.

See this reply in the discussion

25 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John Van UytvenPro Member
    Property Manager · Oconee, IL · Member since 2014 · 536 posts · 202 votes
    12y

    i didn't even know those existed.

    sounds like a good way to save some money

  • Investor · Bossier City, LA · Member since 2014 · 118 posts · 14 votes
    12y

    Even though members ranked some of the card re-sellers low, BBB gives Cardpool, Cardcash, and a couple of other resellers an A- to A+ rating.

    I'm thinking that buying these cards at 90% of face value combined with another 10-12% off at Home Depot would be killer.

    Gotta pinch those pennies.

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    I've been buying gift cards to HD (and other places) for several years. I won't list the site here because they run out of cards a lot, and if I give it out, I will never get cards again. The place that I go has anywhere from 5-9% off for HD and an additional 3% if you buy $1,000 at a time. (I always do). They also have cards for most places. I get cards for Olive Garden, Logan's, Applebees, Dairy Queen, etc.

    The place I get cards guarantees them for 45 days. I've never had a problem with a card and I've bought lots of them. I have had problems with slow shipping and also times where I purchase the cards, but they are unable to produce some of them and then offer a refund for those amounts.

  • Investor · Bossier City, LA · Member since 2014 · 118 posts · 14 votes
    12y

    "The place I get cards guarantees them for 45 days."

    What do you mean? (In stock for 45 days? Expires 45 days after purchase?)

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Rob K.:

    I've been buying gift cards to HD (and other places) for several years. I won't list the site here because they run out of cards a lot, and if I give it out, I will never get cards again. The place that I go has anywhere from 5-9% off for HD and an additional 3% if you buy $1,000 at a time. (I always do). They also have cards for most places. I get cards for Olive Garden, Logan's, Applebees, Dairy Queen, etc.

    The place I get cards guarantees them for 45 days. I've never had a problem with a card and I've bought lots of them. I have had problems with slow shipping and also times where I purchase the cards, but they are unable to produce some of them and then offer a refund for those amounts.

     Do you like taunting us with your secret source, Rob?

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · LA County & Orange County, CA · Member since 2014 · 44 posts · 6 votes
    12y
    Just look up Craigslist. I usually can get them from people for 75%-80% of value.
  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Jeff Lee:

    "The place I get cards guarantees them for 45 days."

    What do you mean? (In stock for 45 days? Expires 45 days after purchase?)

    They guarantee that the cards will work for 45 days. After that, if a merchant rejects the card, you are out of luck. I haven't heard of the two plaes mentioned. There's another place called Plastic Jungle where my brother has purchased cards, but I have not. He has had no problems with them.

    There's lots of these card resellers out there. It's a brilliant idea. Buy the cards low and sell for more. You could do this from your basement with a computer and a file cabinet.

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    thanks for the tease, rob!

  • Investor · Bossier City, LA · Member since 2014 · 118 posts · 14 votes
    12y

    I bought $1500 worth of gift cards and paid 88% of face value. All were legit as I've ordered appliances for a house I just closed on. (Home Depot had a Labor Day weekend special on major appliances. I figure I saved 12% + 10% = 22%.)

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Jeff Lee:

    I bought $1500 worth of gift cards and paid 88% of face value. All were legit as I've ordered appliances for a house I just closed on. (Home Depot had a Labor Day weekend special on major appliances. I figure I saved 12% + 10% = 22%.)

    can u pm me the website u used? 

  • Homeowner · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 854 posts · 511 votes
    12y

    I have bought thousands of dollars of giftcards off of eBay over the years.  The materials for most of my remodeling projects in my own home were purchased using giftcards I purchased at a discount.  Of course home improvement cards are in higher demand and I would have to use alerts to catch a good deal. 

    I did get ripped off once from a guy that sold a lot of gift cards and didn't ship them to anyone.  I disputed the charge when my credit card company and the charge was removed. 

  • Investor · Bossier City, LA · Member since 2014 · 118 posts · 14 votes
    12y

    Best to make sure the ebay seller has a high feedback rating. Anyhow. I filter the ebay auctions out because I don't have time to wait and who knows if it'll even be a deal by the time the auction is over.

  • Homeowner · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 854 posts · 511 votes
    12y

    @Jeff Lee 

    I agree about the issue of having to wait, which is why I usually only purchased via the Buy It Now feature.  I would have a search set up for Home Depot gift cards with the Buy It Now feature.  I would click on my search throughout the day and jump on any that were deals.  Not the best option if you have an urgent need for the cards, but I typically bought and accumulated cards for projects that had no specific time frame.  Also did the same for stores or restaurants we frequent.  I had/have the wherewithal to sit on large sums of gift cards until there is a need for them.

  • Investor · Bossier City, LA · Member since 2014 · 118 posts · 14 votes
    12y

    Just wanted to add another note.

    I use my (new) Chase Sapphire card to make these purchases. Be mindful that you will take a 5 point credit hit. This happens when you apply for a new credit card. (I read this online, so do the research yourself if you're uptight about your credit rating.)

    If you spend $3000 within 3 months of opening the account, Chase will give you a $500 cash back. All-in-all I get the following:

    1. 11-12% off via gift card reseller
    2. Hopefully >10% off at the Pro Desk. (If not, I've got Lowe's 10% Coupons.)
    3. $500 back spending $3k on my Chase Sapphire

  • Investor · Bossier City, LA · Member since 2014 · 118 posts · 14 votes
    12y

    I've made two purchases ($1500, then $2800) from Giftcards.com and all of the cards have worked out. (I check their balance at Home Depot once I receive them.)

    My avg. discount (off of face value) is about 10.5%.

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    i purchased 10% lowes coupons and used them over the weekend at HD. very happy. much easier than the HD card, which on one site was avereging between 2% and 10% savings - just like the coupon. i am sticking with the coupons for now.

  • Investor · Bossier City, LA · Member since 2014 · 118 posts · 14 votes
    12y

    I did the same as well. (Bought 5 off of eBay for $7.50, just had to print them out.)

    For >$2500 purchases, go with the pro desk.

    <$2500 = Go with the Lowe's coupon.

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Jeff Lee:

    I did the same as well. (Bought 5 off of eBay for $7.50, just had to print them out.)

    For >$2500 purchases, go with the pro desk.

    <$2500 = Go with the Lowe's coupon.

     i tried that.. my order was around $3,500 and they took one day to offer me $22 off. i rolled my eyes, thanked them for wasting my time (over 2 hrs of waste) and bought it with a coupon. never again!

  • Investor · Bossier City, LA · Member since 2014 · 118 posts · 14 votes
    12y

    Really? If that happens to me, I'll tell them, "I've got this Lowe's coupon for 10% off. The least you could do is give 10.x% off. If not, I'll just go there. Though I'd really prefer giving you my business."

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    i was very disappointed. and they all know me in my store. i was shocked..but it's all good now. no hard feelings.

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    I never thought of buying gift cards.  I guess you can save a few bucks that way.

  • Investor · Bossier City, LA · Member since 2014 · 118 posts · 14 votes
    12y

    I saved about $250-300 since I buy at least $2500-2800 worth.

    Cardcash has a promotion (or maybe it's permanent) for Home Depot gift cards: a flat 12.5% off face value. If you pay via ACH, you get 15.5%. In addition, if you spend at least $1000, you get another 1% off. (Total 16.5%.)

  • Investor · Kent, WA · Member since 2015 · 624 posts · 274 votes
    11y

    GiftCardGranny pools all the card re-sellers... you can pick the site with the biggest discount at any given time. Hard to find 10% off at Home Depot nowadays... haven't been able to do better than 7.5% lately... but it's still free money!

  • Realtor · Clarksville, TN · Member since 2015 · 51 posts · 20 votes
    10y

    I purchase discounted gift cards for all my rehabs. I personally like Raise.com because this company generally has more cards in stock & ship (mail or email) very quickly. I like the electronic cards best because I can print them for use in the store (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc) & I receive them within minutes of ordering. I've had the most problems with Cardpool.com, especially when using the "Bulk Purchase" option. I also don't like the fact that Cardpool's customer service is conducted entirely on-line so there's nobody to call and emailed responses often take over eight hours to receive. I have REI friends who use many different companies (including Cardpool) with success.... so take my comments as one man's experience. Best of luck

  • Investor · Bossier City, LA · Member since 2014 · 118 posts · 14 votes
    10y

    Cardcash has a great deal right now.

    8.42% off cards, 5% with coupon code BRADSFIVE, another 2% with my Citi Double Bonus card = 15.42% off

    Go on eBay and purchase $20 off $100 printables and it's essentially 35.42% off per $100. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.