Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
I think I am going to get my CCW. I have several guns and dozens of hours at the range. Given the fact that I am often meeting with people that I met online and showing a house I think I would feel more comfortable. I carry a Benchmade a/o knife that I honestly use as a tool but could be a "worst case" scenario life saver. Do any of you guys carry? What is your gun of choice? I know for some this is a touchy subject but I just figured I'd throw it out there. Salesmen at my local gun store said they have had a hard time keeping guns in stock after all of the Ferguson violence.
Real Estate Investor · Grand Junction, IA · Member since 2014 · 81 posts · 51 votes
12y
I'm a single mother with two kids. I always have my .380 kel-tec that I can conceal on my small body frame. If we are out, I have it.
I also have a smith and Wesson mp 40. It's too big to conceal on my body. I have it ether in my handbag or in my car locked when we are out.
I work in corrections and sometimes, though rarely run into some people who aren't my #1 fans.
I may never need it, but I'd rather have it then not. I'm not going down without a fight. :)
Investor · Jessup, MD · Member since 2013 · 437 posts · 180 votes
12y
Another Marylander here who cannot CC; however, I have not felt the need for it too much. Even in the rough parts of the city I have not been approached in way that would necessitate it. I am at the range often and own a S&W M&P 9C and also an AR-15 with a slide-fire stock. I have a CC permit from Utah and Florida giving me most of the other states south of the Mason-Dixon line.
Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
12y
There are a lot of people carrying firearms here in Dallas, and most have never had any training on how to handle a firearm, and it does pose a threat to law enforcement not knowing who is carrying and who are not carrying. We see it all the time and the first thing we ask do you have a weapon in the auto and where is it.
Doylestown, PA · Member since 2014 · 25 posts · 12 votes
12y
It's great to live in Pennsylvania. We can both open carry or conceal carry with a License To Carry Firearms (LTCF). In PA only the state can pass firearms laws. That way you do not have to familiarize yourself with laws written in every little municipality you travel through. Both my wife and I have our LTCF.
Where we invest there are no local police. You need to call the state police in which case you will probably be waiting a half hour for one to show up. Cell service can be spotty also. I have been carrying various firearm for more than 20 years. Currently there is a Ruger LCR .357 in my right front pocket at all times. Could I actually use it you ask, definitely if my or my families life was threatened. God forbid I hope I never have to. I believe it would be a life altering moment for myself which I prefer not to have to deal with.
I thank god every day that I live in a free society that allows me to protect myself and family as I see necessary.
Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
12y
Our contractor was murdered by teenagers last year in October. He was confronted on the porch, robbed and then shot in the neck and died. It was his sons 7th bday that day. It was burned into my memory and will never forget it. It makes you think about your own family and is very sad.
I now carry bc of this incident that hit too close to home for our team.
I hope I never have to use it but am prepared if I have to.
Stay safe everyone, what we do is considered dangerous!!
Investor · The Colony, TX · Member since 2013 · 283 posts · 205 votes
12y
I carry and think it is a great constitutional right. But, I do think it is to easy for people to get their license. It just takes a few hours of worthless course work and firing 20-30 rounds. pretty scary.
Real Estate Investor · Woodland, WA · Member since 2013 · 37 posts · 21 votes
12y
As a responsibly armed american, I can say without a doubt in my mind that if we don't exercise our rights we will lose them. And as a father of 3 and the sole income earner, I carry everyday. For me the Smith & Wesson M&P Shield in 9mm is the complete package for all day, everyday carry. Or I'll switch out to a G19 or full size M&P Pro. But beyond just carrying, and getting your permit, get TRAINED! As famed firearms instructor, Massad Ayoob puts it, "It is not the gun that frightens the hardened criminal, but the resolute person behind it".
I would also encourage everyone reading this thread to check out the USCCA. They have great material covering everything concealed carry, as well as offer very affordable legal insurance, should (God forbid) you be forced to use deadly force to protect yourself or others. It's the only kind of protection that I know of, and would be very comforting to have at your back should you ever be forced into that situation. Being judged by 12 is much better than buried by 6, but is also very expensive........
Rental Property Investor · Everywhere, USA · Member since 2012 · 689 posts · 525 votes
12y
@Ryan Dossey - exercise your rights and go for it. I would say it would be better to go through the training and the process of getting the CCP. Then you might decide not to carry, but it would be nice to have the option.
Now if you do decide to carry, a couple dozen hours at the range, in my opinion, isn't enough. Most of the people I see at the range, and how they shoot when they are not in a high stress situation are pretty horrible shots, and the fact they are carrying cause me a bit of concern as they don't have what I feel is proper training. Most people tend to go to the range and just shoot for fun, only shoot at one target, at one or two distances, and typically from one stance. Most don't ever try drawing from concealment, something you might want to be familiar with if you CC.
Everyone I meet that tells me they want to get a CCP and starting carrying, I recommend they not only put in the time at the range but do additional practice like drawing from concealment. Oddly enough something as pulling up your shirt to draw a gun from a new holster that isn't broken in can be quite difficult. Your draw to fire time is also pretty slow until you have built the muscle memory. I also suggest they go and watch a local IDPA match. IDPA is based around defense shooting. Drawing from concealment, shooting from behind cover, shooting moving targets, shooting targets while moving, engaging multiple targets, etc..
Then participate in a couple matches - don't worry about doing well, just enjoy the experience. The matches really test your shooting ability, cause you to learn a lot and make you realize how much you didn't know you didn't know and are pretty fun.
http://www.idpa.com/
As far as the type of gun to carry, if you do a Google search you will find endless debates on what is better. My simple answer is any gun is better than no gun. Then carry what is comfortable to you and one that you can shoot accurately.
Rental Property Investor · Dallas, Texas (TX) · Member since 2014 · 79 posts · 25 votes
12y
I agree with @Andrew Kerr that most people don't put in enough time training. I'm military myself and can tell you first hand that under pressure (like a life threatening situation where you would use your weapon) you will lose fine motor skills and the ability to think with absolute clarity. Start slow, practice safety at all times, and know the law.
Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
12y
Wow guys lots of really good responses. Do keep them coming. I will be taking the ccw, as well as CQB, and self defense classes. I know a lot of people carry pepper spray but definitely don't want to have just that if they have something more devious planned. My wife is supportive though she wouldn't carry herself. (much to my dismay)
Do you guys deduct firearm purchase price come tax season? My company is an LLC. From what I have read it seems like as long as it is deemed necessary shouldn't be an issue. So long as it is not abused. From my research I think I will carry in either the 11 or 3 oclock position. Apparently not something you want to fall on if shoved.
While I understand the folks saying they wouldn't invest in an area where they need that kind of protection I respectfully disagree. My wife volunteers at a women's crisis center that deals with sexual violence. Dangerous people with bad intentions exist in all social classes.
Rental Property Investor · Everywhere, USA · Member since 2012 · 689 posts · 525 votes
12y
@Ryan Dossey regarding your comment about the tax deduction. It is easy to write anything off as a business expense. The hard part would come justifying it if you got audited.
I had the conversation with my accountant at the beginning of the summer. I don't remember the exact wording she used, but it was something along the lines of - is it necessary for the business and it would have to be specifically and only used for the business.
Rental Property Investor · New Martinsville, WV · Member since 2012 · 105 posts · 44 votes
12y
@Ryan Dossey I have deducted one firearm for personal protection without worry if audited. It would be hard to justify more than one probably for the topic of this discussion.
Look below this Window, and you will see a list of names of people that have posted in this thread.
Click on the name of the person that you want notified via an email, that you responded to them.
If you are a Colleague with anyone that has NOT posted in the thread, and you want them to see your post, hold down the shift key, type the @ and the first 4 letters of their First or Last Name.
Then look below this Window and click on that person's name.
In addition to having a ccw, it might prove useful to take some type of self defense class, MMA or a mix of taekwondo and Gracie jiu-jitsu
I totally agree. Go on YouTube and look up some gun disarm videos. You'll be amazed at how easy it is to take a gun away from someone. Knowing how to defend yourself with your fists, feet, knees, and elbows is very important.
I carry a Glock 27 (because a cop is too heavy). I also recommend carrying a knife in your back pocket. So many goons watch MMA and BJJ has become very popular too. Both focus on ground fighting, which is never a good position to be in - especially if the attacker is bigger than you or has ground experience. Having a knife easily accessible can save your life.
If you do carry a gun, make sure it's accessible at all times. I know a guy who carries his in the inside pocket of his coat. Last winter, we were all checking out each other's guns (as guys often do) and he had to take off his gloves, unzip his inside coat pocket, then fish out his gun. I asked him how long it would take to do that in an emergency. Also research the 21 foot rule.
Most importantly, if you do shoot someone, lawyer up right away. "If you don't talk, you will probably walk".
Princeton, KS · Member since 2014 · 357 posts · 169 votes
12y
Haven't seen many posts from women on this topic - I'm looking into getting my permit. I'm alone most of the time, either when rehabbing/working, travelling, visiting clients or showing properties. I have no intention of having some scumbag take advantage of that.
Not military or law enforcement, but I have long experience with guns - hunting, target shooting, etc. I have no doubt that if threatened, I would do my utmost to put as many holes in the bad guy as possible.
I've got a Browning 9mm, but it's a little heavy to tote around (for me). I'm interested to see the recommendations of others.
Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
12y
I do carry a knife as some of you have mentioned. I will take training on how to use it. Its also assisted opening. (they just made them legal in MO last year.) We have a gun range out here that stocks everything from S & W, Kahr, Walther, Springfield, Beretta, Magnum research, etc. and for a flat $10.00 lets you shoot them on their range. You can swap out as much as you like. I plan on giving that a shot this weekend. (pun intended) So I can feel how the different guns recoil, climb, and feel to decide what I like best. I talked to my wife a lot last night about the some of the different points you guys have raised on here. Especially concerning the fact that I am our primary income and my day job has all off the benefits. Even though the odds that I will ever need it are small I would rather be glad I had it then wish that I had. That reason is the very reason why we keep a shotgun in our closet. Fell free to post recommendations/personal preferences for myself and others. What style ammo you use for sd, what holster position/style you like, as well as anything you don't like. For the most part it seems like most of you guys carry or would if you could.
Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
12y
@Will Pritchett thank you very much! I really like them. I have two. One I keep in my car has the glass break, seat belt cutter, and tip designed to cut clothes. (It's their first responder knife I believe.) The second my dad got me to replace one that was damaged in a motorcycle wreck.
Investor · Huntington Beach, CA · Member since 2014 · 29 posts · 1 vote
12y
Lots of people responding here from gun-friendly states. I'll chime in from a less than gun-friendly state. Recently in CA, a lawsuit overturned strict restrictions on CCW. Now, at least in my county, it is much easier to get a CCW approval. In fact, all I have to do now is get some CCW training, pay the fees, and then I'll have my license. I suppose it will be useful when I collect rent in less-than-desirable areas.
Investor · Madison, MS · Member since 2014 · 33 posts · 10 votes
12y
For those asking about carry options - I highly recommend the M&P Shield NTS. They recently came out with this version that has No Thumb Safety (IMO safeties just get in the way for these situations). It is cheap, well-made, small enough to be carry-comfy, and is available in 9mm & .40 cal.
If that's still too big then you can check out the Ruger LCP.
@Ryan Dossey It seems like too much is going on close to home and I have nightmares about being caught helplessly watching bad things done to my family. I'm guessing you are feeling the same way being even closer than I am to Ferguson. Always be prepared and stay safe, bud.
San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
12y
If you decide to go ahead with it, taking the class will be a very eye opening experience. Assaults can happen anywhere despite the neighborhood. The key is to be prepared. After a hold-up at a local bank branch I frequent, I soon realized the importance of self-defense. At the very least, it could save your life or the lives of others.
Great topic, thanks for sharing!
p.s. For anyone interested, I have started to write in this niche. Made a video about it recently outlining the importance of self-defense for our industry: http://youtu.be/aaSKgD2ekWM Thanks for watching! :)
Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
11y
A similar situation to the article posted in the last repose occurred close to home and my wife is now fully on board. I'm going to be picking up a handgun this weekend. Still undecided on model. I like the size,shape/weight of the Walther PPK. My dad has a few S&W XD guns. I like some of the Glocks but apparently their GEN 4's have had some issues.
My updated question is how do you guys carry? IWB, pocket, Jacket. What do you prefer? I will be taking classes and CCW before I ever carry just trying to get a feel for what is preferred/discreet.
A similar situation to the article posted in the last repose occurred close to home and my wife is now fully on board. I'm going to be picking up a handgun this weekend. Still undecided on model. I like the size,shape/weight of the Walther PPK. My dad has a few S&W XD guns. I like some of the Glocks but apparently their GEN 4's have had some issues.
My updated question is how do you guys carry? IWB, pocket, Jacket. What do you prefer? I will be taking classes and CCW before I ever carry just trying to get a feel for what is preferred/discreet.
I have this holster for my Glock
Bare Asset
I carry it at about 4 o'clock. Very comfortable, affordable, and has an adjustment screw.
Investor · Valparaiso, FL · Member since 2014 · 374 posts · 76 votes
11y
@Ryan Dossey when I lived in NC I could open carry Colt King Cobra .357 but after moving to FL I got my CCW and changed to a Springfield XD9 subcompact when in shorts and t-shirt. If I am in jeans or pants I go with the XD40 and I use IWB holsters for both. I really prefer open carry but not legal everywhere.