• Renter
  • CA
Votes |
Really stupid question......

Sherrill Skanes
  • Renter
  • CA
Posted Aug 9 2008, 19:06

Please don't take this the wrong way, because I am really very interested in the answer. Though it may appear condescending, I am sincerely attempting to understand. I just can' think of a way to word it that doesn't sound impolite.

Why do people in real estate capitalize words that are not proper nouns? I see listing after listing where each and every word describing a property "Begins With A Capital Letter," and it is so very annoying, not to mention the fact that it gives the appearance of illiteracy.

I worked for years in advertising art, so if someone says it reads better, I can assure you that old wives tale died in the 70's. It does not. I taught high school for 12 years as well, so my judgmental response to that kind of typing is that I wouldn't want someone who doesn't know how to structure a simple sentence to be entrusted with my funds and crafting binding contracts for me--it also makes my hand fairly twitch for that red pen...heh.

I have not been able to comprehend why someone would want to purposefully put forth the perception of ignorance. And yet I see it is a very common practice, so I assume there must be a logical or historied reason for such radical over-emphasis. Could someone please explain?

Again, I am sorry for the tone. There just isn't a delicate way to be honest about this.

Loading replies...