Squatter Nightmare

Squatter Nightmare

Investor · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Squatter Nightmare

So, I wanted to make people aware of what happened to me with a house I purchased for investment, so that you don't make the same mistake. The moral of the story is do your homework, and if it seems to good to be true it probably is.

I decided to buy my first investment property in my Hometown of Tacoma, WA. 1410 S. 56th Street. The process was easy enough and I got it for a song! I bought the house, only having viewed it from the outside, as a foreclosure/Auction from the bank, but given the low price I was sure I had make a good choice even if the inside was in bad shape. A few short weeks later we closed escrow, I went to the house I found an entire small community of squatters living in it. I told them get they hell out, and they called the cops on ME! Turns out you can just squat in any abandoned house and you all of the sudden have a ton of rights to stay there. It cost me thousands of dollars to get them evicted some time later. They took out their anger on the house, and cut into the supporting beams before they left. The ceiling was sagging and the plumbing had some type of glue in it. I got three estimates for repair, all of which were over $100K!!. The crazy thing is that the house is barely worth $100k even if it was in great shape. I quit paying the mortgage because I couldn't afford to have it fixed. The same bank that sold it to me was carrying the note, and they foreclosed in a short time because I wasn't living thier. On top of all of this they are trying to sue me for damages.

In the end I am out almost $50,000, I am being sued, and I have nothing to show for it. You have to love America. Knowing the underhanded bank they will try to resell the property, hell the squatters probably work for the bank now that I think about it. 1410 S 56th Street Tacoma, WA I will not miss you one bit.

0Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor/Landlord · Farmington Hills, MI · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y

What? I am not a fan of the big banks but I don't see how this is the bank's fault. You say you knew there were issues because the price was so low but you still failed to do any research. You didn't even bother to walk inside. I am sorry to hear of your troubles but this is on you. Take responsibility. Contact a lawyer, review your options, and move forward. 

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Hendersonville, NC · Member since 2015 · 51 posts · 24 votes
    10y

    Sorry for your bad luck. That really sucks! What did you learn from this? Did you have any take aways or anything you would have done differently to make it a win?

  • Bellevue, WA · Member since 2014 · 22 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    I'm really sorry to hear that. Johnathan. It looks decent from the outside so anyone could have bid for the house.I feel that you could have done 'cash for keys' before the eviction process that might have saved you money.  I hope this would not be an event to stop you from investing... but just a learning process that might give you motivation. 

    I also had some night mares from purchasing a Tacoma condo recently. My agent sorted out some condos that could be used as rental so after visiting I made some offers. After a whole round of crazy going back and forth of making offers and counter offers...finally my offer was accepted. inspection was done and the deal was about to happen. Later on the HOA decided that the new buyers can't use their condos as rentals though they(current owners) have the rights to rent out their places whenever they wanted. what kind of bullcorn is that ? ... Time and money spent... It gave me a valuable lesson to get a agent who knows what to do when finding investment properties.

    On the other hand it was good since it seemed that my agent ganged up with the seller's agent and tried to put all their commission (2.5 percent each) total 5 percent on me.

  • Realtor · Hendersonville, NC · Member since 2015 · 51 posts · 24 votes
    10y

    Doing a lot of foreclosure auctions we have delbt with occupants quite a bit. Cash for keys usually works best as some times they will even clean the place on their way out. On other occasions the eviction process is called into play. I was there one time when the sheriff evicted and the guy was super aggressive. He ended up getting a ride to jail because he put up a fight not to mention all of his stuff put out on the curb. He should have taken the cash for keys. 

  • Investor/Landlord · Farmington Hills, MI · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    What? I am not a fan of the big banks but I don't see how this is the bank's fault. You say you knew there were issues because the price was so low but you still failed to do any research. You didn't even bother to walk inside. I am sorry to hear of your troubles but this is on you. Take responsibility. Contact a lawyer, review your options, and move forward. 

  • Investor · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Was not allowed to go in prior, they stated in their listing that it was trespassing, it was an auction. So no way to see the inside first (legally). I thought the issues would be paint, carpet, drywall, etc. I have already moved on but wanted to warn others that this is indeed possible in this country.

  • Tacoma, WA · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Just wanted to say thanks for you're experience post.  I live minutes from that home, and am looking into purchasing another minutes away.  My husband recently went over to the one we're looking into buying and the lock had been broken and there were bags of groceries inside.  We're nervous about this getting much worse or the house getting ruined before we can finish this deal(assuming we even decide to proceed-the home is owned by a family friend but vacant).  How can squatters have any rights?  This sounds absolutely absurd.  Sorry you had such a bad experience!

  • Manhattan, NY · Member since 2015 · 109 posts · 27 votes
    10y

    I cannot directly relate to your story, but I have had similar ones in my life. Thank you for sharing your experience on Bigger Pockets with us. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 33 posts · 14 votes
    10y

    Looks like the subject property is currently listed on auction.com and the current bid is already at $112.5k. I feel bad for whoever "wins" this auction:

    https://www.auction.com/washington/residential-auc...

    Doesn't it seem like the banks should be required to disclose what they know, such as that the supporting beams got chopped up and that there are squatters in the house? I know there are plenty of cases where they have no knowledge of the property, but in some cases such as this, I don't think they should get away with selling it as-is without disclosures. 

  • Architect · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2015 · 68 posts · 28 votes
    10y

    @Erik Trefzger I completely agree.  That's bs.  The bank is probably going to claim that "they didn't know and had no way of knowing."  I wonder if sending this to elected officials could get some legislation changed.  I'm going to try.  What can it hurt?

    @Jeff Rabinowitz sites like auction.com often (at least in this area) don't allow you to enter or inspect a home prior to purchasing.  Many people will go peak in windows but the auction website specifically states this is trespassing so it's a "risk" if you do.  The OP should have offered cash-for-keys but likely he didn't know about doing something like that (this was his first post).

  • Architect · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2015 · 68 posts · 28 votes
    10y

    I've sent the following to Representative Jinkins.  I'd love to hear feedback or if anyone has any additional comments/information that I could follow up with her on:

    [short intro then]...While educating myself on being a real estate investor and a landlord, I stumbled across the website biggerpockets.com. I keep an eye out on the forums and every once-in-awhile, something catches my eye. I wanted to share the following story with you as I thought it might be of interest:

    A gentleman purchased his first real estate investment through an auction website. Most homes on these sites are sold without the buyer being able to see the backyard or the inside of the property. Once he closed and was able to access the property, he discovered a number of squatters. Once he was able to get them evicted, they caused major (structural) damage which he couldn’t afford to fix and so he let the house go back to the bank. The house was put back up for auction in the middle of December and there were no notices on the sellers site regarding the structural damage to the home.(see entire story and subsequent follow-up here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/56/topics/250301-squatter-nightmare?page=1#p1723341)

    Here’s the issue. Squatting aside, the bank is reselling/has resold a property that is unfit for occupancy. Not that big of a deal if you know what you’re getting, but they did not/do not list any known issues with the property. I’m sure the bank would claim no knowledge even though the original poster likely told them about it (all assumptions on my part but they seem like fairly safe assumptions in this discussion).

    What I’d like to see happen. Can we get legislation enacted which would require each home on these auction sites to have an independent inspection completed and the inspection report posted with the auction documents? Maybe it’s not a full inspection – maybe it’s just a structural inspection (foundation, beams, load-bearing walls, roofs, joists).

    Why this seems to be a legitimate request. While lack of plumbing or electricity is a health issue, structural integrity is a life and death issue.

    I look forward to hearing your thoughts and thank you for your time. It is greatly appreciated.

  • Investor · Princeton, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    So is it wrong to go to the house about an hour before dark and explain to the squatters that you have insurance and the best thing for you if they are not gone in the next few hours is for it to burn down tonight?

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 33 posts · 14 votes
    10y

    @Caroline Hedin nice letter, thanks for taking the time to send that to our rep.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.