Dow Breaks 7,000, What's Next? Predictions?

Dow Breaks 7,000, What's Next? Predictions?

Joshua D.Pro Member
BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes

I figured we'd create a predictions thread for the stock market after I saw the Dow was below 7,000 for the first time in 12 years.

So . . . anyone have any predictions?

0Reply
69 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Westminster, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
15y

I do enjoy predictions and looking back at how they turned out. We are in a very interesting time right now, with high unemployment but a solid DOW/Stock Market.

Although I do not need to work, I have been testing the job market, mostly the Non-Profit sector, looking for a Finance Director Position. ( I enjoy the Non Profit world as it helps the less fortunate of our society). My last interview, the HR Director told me that they had over 400 applications for one job. The one before that, they had over 350 applications for one job. That is a lot of folks looking for work!!

So while there is no "gloom and doom" from me, there is reality. And the reality is, where I live, Gas is still $4.25 a gallon, unemployment is over 12% and foreclosures are still at record highs. I live in a strange economic area (Orange County, CA), investors are over paying for flips and banks are holding back inventory. Go figure!!

See this reply in the discussion

44 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Payson, AZ · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    0

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    17y

    That's what I love to hear, Nick . . . confidence!

  • Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 447 votes
    17y

    The stock market is considered a leading indicator. That shows what the investment world thinks of the future prospects of the economy. We will probably see a bounce, if only for technical reasons, followed by a continued downward trend. Until things turn and corporate earnings pick up you will not see any major change in trend. Pretty ugly.

    :cool:

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Payson, AZ · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    Citi is kicking rocks

    GM is going going gone.............

    we could go on and on and on

    I'm supposed to buy the wife an Escalade this week, I'm thinking if I can hang on till the BK sale I might be able to pick one at half price.......

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Richard:
    Until things turn and corporate earnings pick up
    What corporate earnings? Oh, you mean all the money they are making from government bailout cash paid for by the taxpayers. :mrgreen:

    I see the dow hitting 5,400 before we start seeing a REAL uptrend and not just the phony ones that periodically have occured giving false hope.

    The stock market - "Promises the dream and delivers the nightmare"

  • Real Estate Investor · Baroda, MI · Member since 2008 · 204 posts · 2 votes
    17y

    what is it? 600 MILLION that Obama Clause is going to purchase in NEW gov't vehicles.... I wonder who they are going to buy them from?

    GM, taking your tax money & then turning around and selling cars to the govt for more of your tax money. :roll:

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    17y
    Of course, they need to make some more cash so they can line the pockets of the government officials for the next election to carry points for favorable voting on laws they need past.
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Payson, AZ · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Jenny F.:


    what is it? 600 MILLION that Obama Clause is going to purchase in NEW gov't vehicles.... I wonder who they are going to buy them from?




    Tata motors...............the new 2500$ car :mrgreen:
    seriously though is 600mill even enough?
    didn't they just lose 9.something billion

    I still predict GM is gone
  • Real Estate Investor · Anchorage, AK · Member since 2009 · 25 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    I think GM is gone also.

    Their new electric car is not gonna save them.

    But i believe there will be some people who will take advantage of this crisis and become rich

  • Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 447 votes
    17y

    AIG just posted their loss for the 4th quarter….$61.7 billion! Not bad for three months. Of course their bailout is now being restructured.

    :cool:

  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2008 · 759 posts · 185 votes
    17y

    We tested 7,500 for a while.

    Now we are looking at testing 6,500.

    I feel we are going to test 5,500 as more and more people see that this stimulus package is not going to make that big of an impact, if any.

    This is going to be a tough year, and this administration knows that. There will be more layoffs, more bankruptcies, more companies fold, and more money printed than at any time in history.

    The stimulus was just a quick run out to get everything they wanted politically in one quick swoop, all while making Americans feel it was all in their best interest, and giving them false hope that Uncle Sam is coming to the rescue.

    This is "Politics 101"

    While unfortunate, It is my honest opinion that we can not rebuild all of this until it completely burns down.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Harrison:
    GM, taking your tax money & then turning around and selling cars to the govt for more of your tax money.
    It can't burn down until the government stops pissing on it and wetting it down. When they do stop, hand me a match!
  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    I agree that it will have to burn down before we can rebuild it. However, that's nowhere near 5,500 on the DOW. Our next stop should be at 5,700 on the DOW, but that will just be for a short layover. If the market follows the pattern established during the great depression (it could be much worse), then the DOW should get down to at least 1,540. If Elliott Wave Theory is correct, then that low will be between 400 and 1,000. We're in the early innings of this ballgame. We haven't seen the bad part yet. Furthermore, this isn't a v-shaped situation like we've seen in the past. If you go immediately to your basement and notice the shape of the stairs on the way down - that's what we're in for. We're on the top step right now and it will be a multi-year process to reach the bottom in the economy.

    This is NOT a real estate issue. This is not a credit issue. This IS a decades-long overspending issue that will be unwound over MANY YEARS!

    Food, water, ammo - that's the answer!

  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2008 · 759 posts · 185 votes
    17y

    I think Campbell Soup Company might be a good stock to buy over the long haul here.

    It is down a lot this year, but I would bet sales will drastically rise as people are laid off, money gets tighter, and good ole Tomato Soup makes a strong comeback!

    Is Campbells the next Microsoft, Amazon, Ebay?

    Nahhhh..............you would probably be better off to just buy soup by the case and store it in the basement!!!!!!

    What am I thinking!!! :D

  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2008 · 759 posts · 185 votes
    17y

    I do agree with Mike, I think most folks are looking for that V shape....but It is going to be a slow descent. There will be a few bumps up here and there, but there is more pain in store.

    That said, I do not feel it will get to the 1,000 mark. I am not saying it is impossible, but I doubt (maybe "hope" is a better word) that it will happen.

    I feel confident in the 5,500 mark, and I might even give in to the 4,500 mark if things really start to free fall.

    People thought it was going to Dow 50,000 when it was booming, now people are predicting Dow 0 as it falls. I do not buy it, the general public is just too emotional and dramatic when they make these predictions.

    America will find a way to pull out of this, that is one thing I do not question for a minute.

  • Real Estate Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2008 · 553 posts · 20 votes
    17y

    Truth is no one knows whats going to happen.

    There is the it's going to be bad group and the it's going to be worse group either way things don't look good!

    Oh and there is the majority of "sheeple" who don't have a clue!
    Baa entitled Baa!

    I see Mutton on the menu!

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    17y

    I have a few reasons why my bottom prediction is 3900. Don't ask me the reasons, no time to explain. 3900...

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    17y

    That's not fair, Rich . . . now you need to explain! Don't keep us all waiting.

  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2008 · 759 posts · 185 votes
    17y

    Maybe Rich has the same reasoning behind his prediction as Obama does about feeling that $50 Gazillion Dollars is going to buy his way out of it! :lol:

  • Real Estate Investor · Baroda, MI · Member since 2008 · 204 posts · 2 votes
    17y

    Ive heard 3800 TWICE on Fox NC & BN. I can't remember WHO said it, so I will just call him Chicken Little.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    17y

    Here's a Bulletin on BP pointing to an article that examines this question . . . the chart is pretty remakable and worth a look:

    How Low Can the Market Go?

  • Pleasant Hill, CA · Member since 2008 · 428 posts · 43 votes
    17y

    think we might see a few small rallies but for the next few years things will continue downward. I hate to be a doomer and gloomer but if history is any clue we are headed for a depression. Obams's plan is identical to FDRs New Deal in the 1930s and that led to a 10 year great depression. In every case in American history if you raise taxes in a recession it will become a depression. Time to hold on and get creative.

    My liquid capital is out of the stock market. I am doing mostly short term put option trades and Real Estate investments right now. If you ask me Real Estate is the best place to make money right now. Deals are so cheap and you can yield 15% to 25%!

    Compare the pattern of the Great Depression of 1930 and what is currently happening. http://budurl.com/DJHistory

    The good news is that more millionaires are made in recessions than any other market. I'm hoping I might be one... :)

  • Real Estate Investor · Georgetown, MA · Member since 2008 · 250 posts · 6 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Joshua Dorkin:
    Here's a Bulletin on BP pointing to an article that examines this question . . . the chart is pretty remakable and worth a look:

    How Low Can the Market Go?

    Josh, this is a good article but earnings multiples are only half of the story, lets say we take today's earnings and use an 8 multiple to predict the SP goes to 460(according to the article). But that is based on today's earnings and we know earnings will just get worse going forward for the next 6-18 months. So even if we bottom out at the multiple in previous bottoms we can't base the bottom on today's earnings.

    Using that flat rate and assuming 460 is our bottom that would be a 34% decrease from where we are now. But lets say earnings fall by 20%, which would be conservative. You'd have to reduce the 460 by 20%, which would point to a real bottom of 368 S&P. Almost 50% from where we are now. I'm not saying we get to these levels but I am trying to keep in context of the article.

    Who the hell knows where earnings are really going? It's still not priced into the market and analysts need to revise outlooks substantially. I never knew during the depression the index had negative earnings for 2 years...that is amazing.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    17y

    Plugging in the figures as Dave has done for the DOW and that would make the DOW bottom at 50% of today = 3400.Ouch!

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    I don't believe ANYTHING I hear on TV as far as financial information. I've heard everyday for the past 6 months that "we're at the bottom". The day that the "experts" on CNBC or any of the other financial channels says that we've got a long way to go, you'll know for a fact that we've reached the bottom. RIDICULOUS!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.