Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 176 posts · 121 votes
Are your rental properties in better condition than your own home?
Mine are! They are usually fully updated and with zero issues. When there is an issue it gets taken care of immediately. Just installed all new smoke detectors and a CO2 detector with 10 year batteries and voice in the rentals. Man, I need those in my home, but the current detectors are working fine. so they stay.
Not the same in my own primary home. Things are forever on the "to do" list.
Mortgage Broker · CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 642 votes
10y
@Michael Delpier It's not just you! We have been spending all of our time on flip projects and have put the remodeling of our own home on hold. As soon as the house that we're currently working on is done, I am not even looking at buying another property until my house is done. The house where I'm living is a duplex, so when it is done I'll have an upstairs apartment to rent out. It was built in the late 1800s or early 1900s, so it needs a significant amount of work.
Since my husband and I do all of the work ourselves (he does the majority of the hard work), there never seems to be enough time. It was like that with our last home too. We didn't finish it until it was under contract to be sold.
Huntsville, AL · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 3 votes
10y
I'm still in the chasing stage for finding my first rental, but I foresee myself in a very similar boat. My rentals will be (hopefully) making me money; therefore, that is where I will be spending more of my money :)
I'm in the same boat as @Stephanie Medellin. We make our rental houses in top shape, put money into them early to make properties desirable and easy to rent, and easy to maintain. Meanwhile, my own house has badly outdated kitchen, gutter damage, paint needed. Yep, same story.
Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2016 · 87 posts · 30 votes
10y
I have found that when I don't invest to keep the rental property in top condition, tenants get aggravated and it's difficult to deduct from the security deposit (during the turnover) if I don't have it in the best condition. I am the same with you. I know some landlords try to reduce maintenance/repair/upgrades, but that has not worked for me.
Rental Property Investor · Gwinnett Co., GA · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 6 votes
10y
Not so much currently. my rental properties (fewer than 3) in the recent past had been in better shape than my primary residence. Many times they would have newer HVAC systems, fresh interior paint or newer roofs as examples. Lots of times I delayed maintenance on my primary residence due to financial constraints.