Shark Tank- Anyone watch?

Shark Tank- Anyone watch?

Real Estate Investor · Ocala, FL · Member since 2008 · 742 posts · 463 votes

I watched the T.V. show Shark Tank. Pretty funny. Anyone else watch? Opinions?

1Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Joshua D.Pro Member
BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
17y

Upon watching another episode, I'm fairly surprised to see some of these people turn down the offers they are getting. Sure, they aren't great offers, but by connecting with the sharks, these people's businesses will grow MUCH faster then they would have done otherwise. I'm all about making money, but these people are turning down potential millions in exchange for 1% of a company. . . bad idea!

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Elkhorn, WI · Member since 2008 · 453 posts · 104 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by crosswind_:
    I watched the T.V. show Shark Tank. Pretty funny. Anyone else watch? Opinions?


    I LOVE that show! I have been so busy that I watch it at midnight...but it's pretty interesting.
  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    17y

    It is great! I love how they give people about 2 minutes to make a decision that will potentially change their lives . . . talk about a pressure cooker!

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    I don't watch tv but caught it online. I love that show. Very cool to watch.

  • Real Estate Investor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2009 · 22 posts · 3 votes
    17y

    I just discovered shark tank on hulu. I may or may not have wasted the morning watching all three episodes. It's amazing, I love it.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    17y

    Upon watching another episode, I'm fairly surprised to see some of these people turn down the offers they are getting. Sure, they aren't great offers, but by connecting with the sharks, these people's businesses will grow MUCH faster then they would have done otherwise. I'm all about making money, but these people are turning down potential millions in exchange for 1% of a company. . . bad idea!

  • Real Estate Investor · Ocala, FL · Member since 2008 · 742 posts · 463 votes
    17y

    Josh,

    I am with you on that. I have been very amazed that some of these people turn down a great offer, just cause they feel it is not worth it. When you look at a multi-millionaire in the face and turn them down, I think most is greed.

    I also can't believe how many people over price the value of their company.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Payson, AZ · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    James, I'd like to thank you for introducing the show to me, I never knew about the show.

    I'd also like to blame you for the lack of work that's happening today. I'm now spending the rest of the day on hulu watching it

  • Real Estate Investor · Ocala, FL · Member since 2008 · 742 posts · 463 votes
    17y

    Nick,

    You are welcome! I enjoy helping others to waste time.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    17y

    I've seen a couple of episodes, and it is a trip to say the least.

    What I find a bit facinating are the stories that none of the sharks want to touch, and you hear that the idea's owner has gone "all in" to try to bring their idea to market.

    And like James says, it's so hard to believe that ordinary people have no clue about how to set a value for the company (based on actual revenues and profits, not just potential).

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Payson, AZ · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    so I've just wasted however long it was since I was watching it on Hulu. What an amazing show!

    I can't believe the seatbelt guy didn't take the deal and the and the foxes with boxes guys didn't take the deal.

    Good stuff, new favorite show of mine for sure

  • Real Estate Investor · Ocala, FL · Member since 2008 · 742 posts · 463 votes
    17y

    The seat belt guy, his descision was probably the worst business descision he will ever make.

    Also the guitar guy and son, what a complete tool.

  • Real Estate Investor · Champaign, IL · Member since 2009 · 28 posts · 6 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by crosswind_:
    The seat belt guy, his descision was probably the worst business descision he will ever make.

    Also the guitar guy and son, what a complete tool.

    Totally agree with that...i was yelling at the TV ha.

    But im now addicted to this show and have it scheduled on my DVR. Its on ABC on sundays (just in case no one kew) :mrgreen: .

  • Commercial Loan Officer · Southern Maine, ME · Member since 2009 · 782 posts · 415 votes
    17y

    I love this show!

    I actually like the recycled chopstick idea and was bummed when nobody made an offer.

    Too bad about the guitar guy. It's a good idea and he'd be on his way to being rich if his pride/greed didn't get in the way. Funny how people are often their own worst enemy when it comes to money.

  • Real Estate Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 51 posts · 5 votes
    17y

    Shark Tank is awesome show! Especially when the sharks fight it out to see who will get the deal.

    Why some of these people turn down great offers is beyond me.

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    The blue tooth guy was my favorite moment. That guy was half a step from Doctor Evil...lol

  • Real Estate Investor · Ocala, FL · Member since 2008 · 742 posts · 463 votes
    17y

    The enternal bluetooth was interesting and creepy both at the same time. I agreed with the shark that said the guy was ahead of his time.

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    I saw Mark Cuban on there as a shark on tonight's episode. I think it is getting more entertaining now...we set our DVR to record all of the episodes now.

    Who else is watching?

  • Homeowner · Burleson, TX · Member since 2008 · 756 posts · 376 votes
    15y

    Yeah Cuban was a hoot tonight. Not making too many friends.

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    He sure is cocky...isn't he?

    I really liked the fire nozzle business he bought though...good stuff!

  • Real Estate Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2011 · 41 posts · 34 votes
    15y

    What a great show, I first saw it in my entrepreneurial business class last semester at school.

    Another similar show is hosted by the founder of Chipotle, Steve Ells, Bobby Flay, and a few others called America's Next Great Resturant. They look for great entrepreneurs with awesome restaurant ideas. I haven't seen it yet but am very excited to check it out.

  • Real Estate Investor · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2010 · 413 posts · 114 votes
    15y

    yea once you run out of Shark Tank Episodes check out Dragens Den, It's the original series that started in Canada. O'Leary and Richard are on it, some pretty great deals on throughout the episodes.

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    What channel Mike?

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    15y

    Mike are you sure Dragon's Den is Canadian??

    I was sure it's a British show as when I watched it for years it was always on the BBC channel.

    I love watching deal structure and negotiations.

    The shark tank hasn't had any new episodes.I have seen them all.I wonder when the new season is starting up again??

    Usually during the summer most shows are reruns until the Fall kicks in.

  • Real Estate Investor · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2010 · 413 posts · 114 votes
    15y

    Yea my bad, meant to say it's a spin off of the Canadian version. It's been in many countries.

    The one thing I dislike about DD, is some deals can not be made due to the different rules of DD. Whatever the entrepreneur asks for in money value they have to be able to get the Dragens to put that much up, but the equity can change. Some deals are never made because of this. Great business plans and products but sometimes the entrepreneurs are greedy and valuate their companies way to high.

    Might have to watch it online tho, or if you do get CBC.

  • Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2011 · 115 posts · 43 votes
    15y

    The thing that kills me is that some people do not see the real value of the sharks. They would rather have 100% of $100K than 10% of $50M. Give me the money and let me prsue my next idea.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.