What do you Carry?

What do you Carry?

Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Let's face it, we live in a violent society. The average middle-class American doesn't see it, but those of us that invest in lower income neighborhoods see it every day. For an average, honest, middle-class or upper-class citizen, discovering the reality of lower income America can be quite a shock (I know, it was to me). Whether you're a wholesaler that sells lower income properties to landlords or you're a landlord yourself, you could be involved in a violent encounter at any time. Drugs are rampant in low income areas and many drug addicts will do ANYTHING to get their drugs. Real estate investors (rehabbers, wholesalers, and landlords) are seen by many as rich fatcats who are prime targets for criminals (especially when you're on their turf).

So, my question is do you carry a handgun for protection? If so, what kind of gun do you carry; how many rounds does it hold; what caliber is it; do you carry extra ammo; what kind of ammo do you carry; and what training have you had?

Since I'm asking the question, I'll start. Ohio passed its concealed carry law about 5 years ago - about the same time that I started buying low income apartment buildings. After seeing the things that happen in low income areas, I decided that it would prudent to be able to protect myself from the druggies and other criminals that frequent these areas. So, I took a concealed carry class and bought a .32 Cal Beretta Tomcat, which is an 8 shot, semi-automatic pistol. I chose this gun because it was very small and easy to conceal. I carried this gun until early 2009.

In December 2008 (approximately), I was the only witness to an arson fire/attempted murder at a building near one of my low income apartment buildings. The perpetrator was a well-known local criminal who has been arrested over 200 times, including a felony conviction for assaulting a police officer. I have previously had this guy arrested for criminal trespass. Shortly after the incident, I had him arrested again for criminal trespass and he spent significant time in jail. He got out and decided that threatening me and stalking me would be a good idea. He claimed to have a gun. I decided that this was a little more serious than just a general threat and I got a restraining order against him. He almost immediately violated that restraining order and was arrested again.

Since things were getting more serious, I decided that I should carry a more powerful handgun and started doing research. Using the same process that I used to start my rental business, I fully immersed myself into getting this education. I read articles on the internet; studied several books; and even read some FBI reports on the "stopping power" of handguns. What I discovered was truly astounding. I discovered that people don't get shot and immediately drop to the ground (let alone die) like you see on tv. Even the largest caliber handgun will not knock a person off their feet, unless it destroys the Central Nervous System (brain and spinal cord). I also discovered that being shot typically will only kill a person when they bleed out. According to my research, even a person that is shot in the heart will still have about 14 seconds to continue attacking you! Moreover, in MANY instances criminals have been shot multiple times in vital areas and still continued the attack!

In my research, I discovered that about 80% of shots fired in real life gunfights miss their target. I also discovered that about 80% of people that are shot survive. More strikingly, I found that the majority of gunfights happen with the combatants within 6 to 10 feet of each other and almost all gunfights happen within 15 feet. All that practice at the range shooting at 50 feet is worthless in a real gunfight.

So, here is where I'm at today. I have taken an advanced pistol fighting course - a very good idea for anyone carrying a handgun. I also upgraded to a 16 shot Glock model 22 in .40 cal. I carry high grade Hornady self-defense, jacketed hollow point amunition. I also have a spare magazine and a belt holder, although I don't always carry it (how much crap can I carry).

So, how about you? Do you carry a handgun for self-defense and if so, what is it? If you don't carry a handgun, what's your plan for self-defense?

Mike

0Reply
49 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 671 votes
17y

You should also make sure you spend the extra money and get night stights. If not I would get trijicon retrofits.

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    Unfortunately, it's not possible to know when you will need a gun. It's always better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it.

    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!

    Mike

  • Real Estate Investor · Belvidere, IL · Member since 2009 · 169 posts · 65 votes
    17y

    I understand your point, Mike, and in most cases you are right. I am certainly no anti-gun advocate; I have a .38 and a .22 pistol in my home for protection. But there have been instances where a homeowner with a handgun confronted a burglar in his home, a scuffle ensued, and the burglar ended up with the gun and shot and killed the homeowner. The homeowner had a gun when he needed it, but it wasn't better for him. I guess my point is that just having a gun doesn't make you safer, you have to have the right mindset and skills for it to be of much use to you or worse case, not a detriment.

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Larry Moore:
    But there have been instances where a homeowner with a handgun confronted a burglar in his home, a scuffle ensued, and the burglar ended up with the gun and shot and killed the homeowner. The homeowner had a gun when he needed it, but it wasn't better for him.


    Don't confront unless you're ready to shoot and get trained. And while those are rare stories, there are many more cases of people's lives saved from owning a gun (yours truly included).

    Tim

  • Investor · Westminster, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    Having been a Realtor for many years before I moved to accounting, I attended many investment seminars. One speaker had his "Three Rules for Investment Property".

    1. Never buy an investment where you need to carry a gun to collect rent.

    All the cash flow in the world is not worth getting shot over.

    I do have several firearms for home protection. Smith and Wesson .357 Magnum with a 6 inch barrel. Pretty much stop anyone. I also have a .38 and a .22 handgun, mostly for plinking. I also have a Remington Model 700 30-06 rifle, will drop a 1,000 pound Bull Elk without a problem. Along with many shotguns, I love bird hunting.

    It is also a known fact that pepper spray can disable a perp faster than a firearm. My wife and daughter carry pepper spray.

  • Investor · Litchfield Park, AZ · Member since 2009 · 50 posts · 4 votes
    17y

    357 don't have to worry about it jamming and if you love guns move out to the Arizona the wild wild west, you can carry them almost everywhere out here.

  • Real Estate Investor · Longmont, CO · Member since 2009 · 208 posts · 109 votes
    17y

    Usually a S&W Jframe .38 with glaser safety slugs. It's just so carryable and has never failed to go bang in practice. Crimson trace grips - I hope if I ever have to turn it on someone there is a possibility the bright red dot sitting on their chest may change their attitude - plus the sights on a J frame are not quickly acquired.

    If my clothing for the day permits it, S&W 1911 with tritium sights. It has been back to the factory several times for failing to go bang in practice :-( Wish I'd never sold my Glock .45.

    That said, I like to go out and shoot pool and have a few beers and such, that's not a good time to be carrying. But I have a small 5 watt led flashlight, wide beam, with notched lens cover - blindingly bright and good for striking. First preference would be blind 'em and run...

  • Real Estate Investor · Longmont, CO · Member since 2009 · 208 posts · 109 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Mike M:

    It is also a known fact that pepper spray can disable a perp faster than a firearm. My wife and daughter carry pepper spray.


    Don't be too sure...I went thru law enforcement training a while back and had to stand there with my eyes and mouth open and get a good blast in the face. I waited a few seconds while nothing much happened, then had the bright idea to tell the guy spraying me that I could still see and would have no problem still coming at him. Blast again. Wait a few more seconds, then 30 minutes of misery.

    The way it works really well is if the person is totally suprised and inhales a cloud of it - that will probably drop you to your knees quickly.

    Just don't stand there and expect it to work. Blast and move to the side quickly to avoid a tackle, then run run run

    If I were shot, I think some instant incapacitation would result from the psychological impact of, holy $^&$ I've been shot, am I going to die? If someone pepper sprays me, I'm just a whole lot more pissed off than I was before

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.