Things I like about Obama

Things I like about Obama

Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes

In an effort to be real, honest and fair, I will admit I can think of 3 key things I like about Obama.

1. Credit card reform legislation. This was smart and is, for reasons I don't understand, an underplayed bipartisan victory by his administration.

2. Publicly taking his wife to dinner in New York as he promised. I know this may seem like fluff and I know a lot of people gave him flack for spending the money on the "security" and the "flight" there but the Secret Service security is on salary anyway and is 24/7 presidential security because that's the way it is and should be. Also, he took a smaller plane which saved some cost. Aside from that, this was a good investment into the image of a president that honors his wife and family which is a very good thing. Pictures matter and these pictures sent the right message.

3. Personally pursuing the Olympic bid. I don't think this is the greatest priority right now but as an investor I have to say this is a very smart move. First of all, I have no doubt that some Chicago developers who were his campaign finance backing made some calls and said, "Get over there." Aside from that, were the games to be in Chicago it would bring international interest, investment and development to a city geographically located in the center of the US at a key time when international investment could come in very handy. Again, it's not priority #1 right now...but it's not a bad thing to be pursuing.

There's plenty to ***** about but it bears noting that even leaders you fundamentally disagree with may do some things worth mimicking.

1Reply
67 views

Most Popular Reply

Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
16y

The things I like about Obama:














































































Done

See this reply in the discussion

61 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
    16y

    The things I like about Obama:














































































    Done

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    lol cheater.....

  • Real Estate Consultant · Laguna Hills, CA · Member since 2009 · 24 posts · 2 votes
    16y

    Well, I think Mr_Investor has got the best points indeed to make Obama happy and I am happy I don't have a fan following like that.

  • Real Estate Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2008 · 566 posts · 356 votes
    16y

    Tim, you forgot to include your earlier praise post in your list.

    As my differences with the Prez simply stem from a fundamental capitalism versus socialism stance (me capitalist, he socialist), I can't find much room in there to list anything. Certainly not a situation of a plural nature. Taking his wife to dinner not withstanding.

    I do wish he would capitalize on something he has the most unique qualifications and position from which to do. Instead, he's repeatedly declined and separated himself from doing so.

    He is (and I don't think anyone can really disagree), a great orator. His accomplishment in attaining the Presidency of the United States by a winning the poular election and becoming the first black president cannot be minimized, yet with the exception of his speech to the NAACP, where he proclaimed that "Having a Black President means there are no more excuses," he has repeatedly downplayed and not addressed issues of race with the exeption of totally screwing up the Professor Gates debacle.

    IMO, he has the greatest opportunity ever, without a single tax and spend dollar, to realize MLK's ""I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." I believe this has, to a large extent, been attained, and while it will never be perfect or without exception and life will never be fair, far too many blame race, creed, color, sex, etc. as an excuse for a lack of character.

    It is just too easy to blame something or someone else, rather than yourself. It's human nature and self defense to play the blame game, and right now this country needs someone to turn that around. We have so lost the "United We Stand" American Pride, resolution and flag waiving that characterized our country after 9/11.

    Obama, more than any president in the history of this country, inclucing those white guys, Abe Lincoln, John Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson, has the opportunity to greatly effect and improve race relations in this country, and he is chosing instead to push a redistribution of wealth, tax and spend, and socialist policies. Increasingly polarizing this country.

    Disappointing. When we need an "Ask not what your country can do for you" type, we elect "vote for me and I'll give you a thousand bucks."

    Well, so much for my promise to myself that I would never join in any Obama bashing or political threads. But, I am only posting this one. I'll blame Tim for starting this thread and my breaking my promise to myself.

  • OR · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 845 votes
    16y

    Well, let's see.....

    I think he has a nice smile.

    I suspect that it is good for the black community to have a male role model who heads a family unit and treats his wife and children with respect (But, I am actually guessing, since I am not African American myself).

    And.... wait, I'm thinking. Yeah, I do like the lock on interest rate hikes on credit cards. But was that Obama, or was that congress? Also, too much warning to the CC companies, so they had plenty of time to raise rates and change terms before the deadline.

    I like that the Obamas got a purebred dog from rescue. The Portuguese Water Dog fanciers aren't happy and wish he'd chosen another breed. Popularity is very bad for a dog breed.

    I don't mind seeing him in the photos with his shirt off. He's not Will Smith, but he's not bad for a non-actor.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Laguna Hills, CA · Member since 2009 · 24 posts · 2 votes
    16y

    What role does race plays in this PNW?

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Andy Bell:
    What role does race plays in this PNW?


    I'm not sure yet as the Portugese have yet to express any grievances over the canine choice.
  • Real Estate Consultant · Laguna Hills, CA · Member since 2009 · 24 posts · 2 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Tim Wieneke:
    Originally posted by Andy Bell:
    What role does race plays in this PNW?


    I'm not sure yet as the Portugese have yet to express any grievances over the canine choice.

    I am sure grievances from there must be coming soon.

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    Ok....I said before that I liked that Obama was personally pushing for the Olympics to be in Chicago.

    Now I REALLY REALLY REALLY like that he personally put his reputation, his ego and every bit of his star power and international influence on the line. :mrgreen:

  • OR · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 845 votes
    16y

    Olympics? How much did it cost the American tax payer for Obama and family and Air Force One, and all the Secret Service, Secretaries, and support staff to head to Europe to voice support for Chicago?

  • Investor · Westminster, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    The things I like about Obama: I have to agree with the Credit Card issue. Credit Card companies are right there with lawyers and used car salesmen.

    Beyond that, I just get a head ache because I am thinking so hard.

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    1. I like the fact that Obama is an OVERT SOCIALIST! This way, when socialism destroys the country, we'll know exactly who to blame - Obama, Nanci Pelosi, Harry Reed, and all the other socialists on the left.

    2. I like the fact that Obama is breaking all of his campaign promises and has proven that he's the liar that I knew he was all the long.

    3. I like the fact that Obama is a pacifist, so that the American people know who is to blame when a nuke goes off in NYC (coming soon to a tv near you)!

    I'll try to think of more things I like about the Chosen One!

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by P NW:
    Olympics? How much did it cost the American tax payer for Obama and family and Air Force One, and all the Secret Service, Secretaries, and support staff to head to Europe to voice support for Chicago?


    I'd pay my portion of those taxes twice just to see him pull a bonehead political maneuver like that again. Sucks that Chicago won't get the business....but you have to enjoy the little things. :-)
  • Real Estate Investor · Member since 2008 · 340 posts · 34 votes
    16y

    I like that he retained Robert Gates as SecDef from the Bush administration.

    His choosing of Leon Panetta to head the CIA has surpassed my wildest dreams. Panetta has done an admirable job defending the CIA.

    His choice of Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State was a wise choice. She has been a solid spokesman for the US in international affairs. It’s just too bad that Obama’s staff has decided to run matters of State out of the White House and not through the State Department. So, I don’t see Hillary Clinton continuing to have a back seat on international affairs and thus her staying on much longer as the Secretary of State.

  • Investor · Mableton, GA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Mr_Investor:
    The things I like about Obama:



























































































    Done


    Funny you said that because this is EXACTLY what I liked about Bush... Both the first and the second ... actually wait. Come to think of it, the second one I actually liked more of that...
  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    16y

    Having just finished the new book by Michelle Malkin about Culture of Corruption, there is absolutely nothing that good that will compensate for the bad. Before you dismiss this book, I suggest you pick it up, and turn to the back. Approx 50 pages of notes where EVERY item was obtained from. A very scary, disheartening read. Rich.

  • Investor · Mableton, GA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
    16y

    ... And while you at it, go and watch Michael Moore's new move "Capitalism - a love story..." Talking about scary.

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    16y

    Sorry Eddie- no comparison, imo. Every fact in Malkins' book has a footnote where you can find it referenced. The blowhard mike moore has been disproven so many times, that I wouldn't take the time. I like facts, not revision history. Rich

  • Investor · Westminster, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    Eddie

    Things I liked about President W Bush:
    1. No attacks on US Soil after 9/11/01
    2. Dow Jones broke 14,000 under W.
    3. Real Estate set all time price highs under W
    4. Attacked Iraq
    5. Attacked Afghanistan
    6. Mortgage Rates were at long time lows
    The bad thing he did was to spend too much.

    For those that were against attacking Iraq, I learned something a long, LONG time ago. When you have a bully on the play ground, no amount of talking takes care if him, you have to kick his A$$. If the US had of kicked Hitler's A$$ in 1939, WWII would never have happened. As it has been said, BAD things happen when GOOD people DO NOTHING.

    Even Jesus, in the Bible, knew there were times you needed to use violence:
    John 2:14-15
    And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting :
    And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables;

    War is inevitable. War is necessary. As long as you have bad people who are greedy for power, money and land, you must have war.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Mike M:
    I learned something a long, LONG time ago. When you have a bully on the play ground, no amount of talking takes care if him, you have to kick his A$$.


    So, if (hypothetically) other parts of the world thought that our country was being a bully, they would be justified in trying to kick our ***?

    Just curious, as I know there are plenty of people out there who consider the U.S. to be a bully...and I'd hate to think that they're justified in trying to take us down just because of that perception...
  • Inspector · Alsip, IL · Member since 2008 · 361 posts · 75 votes
    16y

    If we're going strictly on principle here, then yeah, you're totally right about that J Scott. Thing is, whether we're being a bully in a given country depends on who you ask. If you ask the people we helped, nah, we're the good guys. If you asked the people that were in charge, we're the bully. If you ask the people that were brainwashed by the people in charge, we were the bully.
    I'm just sayin. However, I'm not saying that we are entirely a bastion of goodness and light. I do understand that greed and national interest has played a part in some of the decisions our illustrious govenment has made. And when politicians on the right or the left make that kind of decision, and it hurts people either here or abroad, i want to grab them by the scruff of their neck, and toss them out onto the street until they realize what an honor it is to SERVE the people of this country. I think they may have forgotten that...

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Eddie Ziv:
    ... And while you at it, go and watch Michael Moore's new move "Capitalism - a love story..." Talking about scary.


    Without capitalism, Michael Moore couldn't afford to be in the healthy shape that he is.
  • Investor · Mableton, GA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Mike M:
    Eddie

    Things I liked about President W Bush:
    1. No attacks on US Soil after 9/11/01
    2. Dow Jones broke 14,000 under W.
    3. Real Estate set all time price highs under W
    4. Attacked Iraq
    5. Attacked Afghanistan
    6. Mortgage Rates were at long time lows
    The bad thing he did was to spend too much.

    For those that were against attacking Iraq, I learned something a long, LONG time ago. When you have a bully on the play ground, no amount of talking takes care if him, you have to kick his A$$. If the US had of kicked Hitler's A$$ in 1939, WWII would never have happened. As it has been said, BAD things happen when GOOD people DO NOTHING.

    Even Jesus, in the Bible, knew there were times you needed to use violence:
    John 2:14-15
    And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting :
    And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables;

    War is inevitable. War is necessary. As long as you have bad people who are greedy for power, money and land, you must have war.


    Oh Mike, Mike, Mike... What a distortion of history.
    1. No attack on US soil since 9/11 has nothing to do with the president's action but has everything to do with the responsible agencies. They just discovered and captured a terrorists ring (Najibullah Zazi). Should we attribute it to Obama? No. It was the good work of the FBI.

    2.DJ climbed to 14,000 and lost half of its value still under Bush.

    3. Real Estate set all time price highs under W and brought this country to its knees a the end of 2008. Still under Bush and because of his mismanagement.

    4. Attacked Iraq ... Was that a good thing? What part? The no WMD? The fake democracy? That chapter is not complete.

    5. Attacked Afghanistan - Can you spell quagmire?

    6. Mortgage Rates were at long time lows - I'll give you that, but did he really have anything to do with that? That was the FED policy.

    One thing I do have to give to W is his financial support to Africa especially with regard to AIDS welfare and prevention.

    Your post makes an impression that Obama didn't inherent anything. He just cause all this mess...

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Eddie Ziv:
    1. No attack on US soil since 9/11 has nothing to do with the president's action but has everything to do with the responsible agencies. They just discovered and captured a terrorists ring (Najibullah Zazi). Should we attribute it to Obama? No. It was the good work of the FBI.


    Eddie, I have to interject on this one thing here. While the agencies do good work, prior to Bush they were not communicating this good work to each other. That is a key element to the Bush-altered domestic policy that has been critical to preventing terrorist attacks.
  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Eddie Ziv:

    4. Attacked Iraq ... Was that a good thing? What part? The no WMD? The fake democracy? That chapter is not complete.


    Chapter not complete?!?!? Where have you been???

    Don't you remember:

    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

    There was a banner and everything...how did you miss that?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.