Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
16y
Originally posted by MikeOH:
Yes, I'm sure that spouting your socialist nonsense would be enough to handle a situation with a drug crazed criminal intent on doing you harm.
Mike -
After all our recent discussions where we came to the conclusion that you are pretty liberal yourself, I find it hard to believe that you'd still be attacking others for the same thing.
Now, go collect your Section 8 rent...
Wait, Section 8 rent...is that government subsidized?!?!
Either you're a liberal or a hypocrite...come on, which one is it???
Investor · Westminster, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
16y
People who think man has "evolved" into some sort of Peace Seeking being are just deceiving themselves.
Just look at yourself. Have you ever had a tenant damage a property? Have you ever been cut off while driving? Have you ever had a fight with a spouse? a child? a parent? a co-worker?
The ONLY thing keeping civility is the CONSEQUENCE of our actions. It is NOT man's desire for peace and if you think so, you are delusional. Man has NEVER desired peace, man desires CONQUEST, DISCOVERY, ADVENTURE, DANGER, EXCITEMENT, EXPLORATION, etc... Why did man go to the moon? It certainly wasn't for peace or economic gain or to improve society. It was to BEAT THE RUSSIANS, for conquest, exploration and even to help develop better WEAPONS of Mass Destruction.
Go back through history, the Chinese, the Romans, the British, etc... It is all about conquest and taking over someone else.
Real Estate Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2008 · 456 posts · 42 votes
16y
Originally posted by J Scott:
Originally posted by Karen Parker:
I was out busy being that thing you abhor...a capitalist, making money...
Karen -
So, the amount of money someone has is an indication of how much they love capitalism?
If that's the case, I'm quite certain I love capitalism more than you ever will...
J. Scott, I doubt that very seriously or you would spend more time out making it rather than being on here spreading your communist propaganda. And I've probably thrown away more money at the casino than you have ever made. Its not the amount of money you have silly socialist its the art of getting it.
Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
16y
Originally posted by J Scott:
If I felt I couldn't adequately protect myself without a gun, I'd probably carry one also. That said, I'm fairly certain I can handle any situation likely to arise...
Ok Neo....
Carrying a gun isn't about the situations that are "likely" to arise. It's about the ones that are unlikely to arise. I deal in the unlikely on a daily basis.
Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
16y
Originally posted by Alison McLoving:
Nowadays, you can put it on your bed and get laid every night!
Don't take this the wrong way Allison but whenever I see your last name my thoughts go immediately to "Superbad"...and I think you just cemented that in my mind...lol
Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
16y
Originally posted by J Scott:
Originally posted by Tim Wieneke:
Originally posted by J Scott:
Originally posted by Tim Wieneke:
Wow, I'm in agreement with Eddie and J Scott here but from a different perspective.
I'd say it's the exact same perspective, given what you wrote... :)
I should explain further. I come from the perspective of someone who believes what I wrote while legally carrying a gun where I'm able to.
Have I EVER expressed any opposition to gun laws or those carrying guns? I'm a Constitutionalist, and I think the Constitution is pretty clear on the issue...
And btw - I never said anything about you expressing any opposition to carrying the gun. I just know you and Eddie don't carry one. I do. That's the difference in perspective. That's all.
Investor · Mableton, GA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
16y
Originally posted by Tim Wieneke:
Originally posted by Alison McLoving:
Nowadays, you can put it on your bed and get laid every night!
Don't take this the wrong way Allison but whenever I see your last name my thoughts go immediately to "Superbad"...and I think you just cemented that in my mind...lol
Tim, I was just about to post a "Smart-***" remark myself... and then I saw your post... :mrgreen:
Investor · Mableton, GA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
16y
Originally posted by Tim Wieneke:
Originally posted by J Scott:
Originally posted by Tim Wieneke:
Originally posted by J Scott:
Originally posted by Tim Wieneke:
Wow, I'm in agreement with Eddie and J Scott here but from a different perspective.
I'd say it's the exact same perspective, given what you wrote... :)
I should explain further. I come from the perspective of someone who believes what I wrote while legally carrying a gun where I'm able to.
Have I EVER expressed any opposition to gun laws or those carrying guns? I'm a Constitutionalist, and I think the Constitution is pretty clear on the issue...
And btw - I never said anything about you expressing any opposition to carrying the gun. I just know you and Eddie don't carry one. I do. That's the difference in perspective. That's all.
Yes, Tim. I'm the one who think that the whole gun craze is going out of hand. Case in point? Meleanie Hain...
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
16y
Originally posted by Tim Wieneke:
Ok Neo....
Look, if someone threatens me or my family without a gun, I trust that I can protect myself and my family.
And if someone threatens me or my family with a gun, the most likely scenario is one where I wouldn't want to pull a gun anyway for fear of someone in my family getting killed (it's unlikely that I'd pull a gun on someone who didn't already have a gun pulled on me, and it's unlikely I'd pull a gun on someone who did).
Based on my experience, in the most likely confrontational situations, the risk/reward of having a gun on me is just not there.
And if I really wanted to be paranoid about the unlikely happening, I'd more likely carry penicillin and a defibrillator.
But, that's just me...other people are in different situations, have different jobs, live in different areas. I just choose not to be in those areas, those jobs, or those situations.
Carrying a gun isn't about the situations that are "likely" to arise. It's about the ones that are unlikely to arise. I deal in the unlikely on a daily basis.
Some people choose to deal in "unlikely" situations on a daily basis...some choose to avoid "unlikely" situations on a daily basis...
I prefer to avoid them -- they just don't add any value to my life...
Btw, weren't you one of those people who believes that if you live near a volcano, you deserve to get burned and if you live in an earthquake area, you deserve to get hit by an earthquake?
Doesn't the same apply here? If you choose to deal in unlikely dangerous scenarios on a daily basis, don't you deserve to be affected by unlikely dangerous situations?
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
16y
Originally posted by MikeOH:
I think the real question is whether J.S. actually believe this socialist crap or is he just a troll? I'm voting for troll.
Mike - You caught me...here you go, I'm finally going to admit it:
I'M NOT A SOCIALIST!
Thank you for calling me out on that and setting me straight, but the truth is, you saw right through my socialist facade and saw me for what I really am...NOT A SOCIALIST.
Thanks for making it clear to everyone on this forum that you don't believe I'm a socialist...
That said, you're still a liberal and a hypocrite...
Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
16y
Originally posted by J Scott:
(it's unlikely that I'd pull a gun on someone who didn't already have a gun pulled on me, and it's unlikely I'd pull a gun on someone who did).
Living in condition orange is one of the responsibilities of carrying a firearm. It's not for everyone.
Originally posted by J Scott:
Btw, weren't you one of those people who believes that if you live near a volcano, you deserve to get burned and if you live in an earthquake area, you deserve to get hit by an earthquake?
Doesn't the same apply here? If you choose to deal in unlikely dangerous scenarios on a daily basis, don't you deserve to be affected by unlikely dangerous situations?
You didn't read what I said. I said, "I deal with the unlikely on a daily basis". I'm referring to the insurance work I do. I'm a claims adjuster and deal with falling tree limbs, shorting outlets, collapsing trusses....all the unlikely things that occur on a daily basis. I never said I put myself in unlikely danger on a daily basis. That would be stupid.
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
16y
Originally posted by Karen Parker:
J. Scott, I doubt that very seriously or you would spend more time out making it rather than being on here spreading your communist propaganda.
Karen -
I find it amusing that you really, truly think I have a desire for all people to be economically equal.
Last year, I retired from my career. For the previous 10 years, my wife and I worked for two of the biggest tech companies in the world (I focused on Strategic Innovation and M&A - some pretty capitalistic stuff, in my opinion :). We cashed in all our stock options, retired, got married, and moved across the country to be closer to our family and friends.
Does it make any sense that I'd really want to "even things out" financially? If so, I'd probably have given away all my money by now, wouldn't I have?
Just because I care about people doesn't mean that I'm a socialist, a communist or a poor unemployed slob. In fact, those who tend to be the most giving and the most socially progressive (in my experience) are those who made a lot of money in capitalistic endeavors...
It's the people who have nothing who seem to be most concerned about the taxes they'll never earn enough to pay...
And I've probably thrown away more money at the casino than you have ever made.
First, I'm pretty sure I've made more money in a casino than you've ever even gambled. Do about 3 minutes of Internet research and you'll have your proof...
Second, if you want to compare gambling stories, the only reason I started in real estate was to win a $100K bet with an investor friend of mine. I'm a year into the bet and have two years to go...when it's over, I'll tell you all the details and then you can tell me what you think my attitude is towards money. Trust me, you'll be surprised...and I'm pretty sure you won't call me a communist... (then again, you probably still will)
Its not the amount of money you have silly socialist its the art of getting it.
Does stock options, professional poker, and very stupid, very large bets qualify as "art" when it comes to making money?
If so, I think I'm doing okay... If not, I concede that you're right...
So now, please give me a little background on your capitalistic endeavors?
Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
16y
Originally posted by J Scott:
First, I'm pretty sure I've made more money in a casino than you've ever even gambled. Do about 3 minutes of Internet research and you'll have your proof...
I'm curious what you did with casinos? That always struck me as an interesting business.
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
16y
Originally posted by Tim Wieneke:
I'm curious what you did with casinos? That always struck me as an interesting business.
In addition to my day job, I was a professional high stakes poker player for about 10 years (I still don't know how I juggled those two careers). For a year or two during the poker boom, I did the big tournament circuit and made a couple TV appearances (including my worst moment -- coming within one card of winning a World Series of Poker bracelet and then losing to the guy who became the youngest World Series of Poker bracelet winner ever at the time)...
I wish I had been in the casino business...I knew a few of the big cardroom owners in California, and while I'm guessing that getting gambling licenses was probably close-to-impossible (unless you paid-off the right people), the ones who did it were rolling in dough...
I probably feel about the gambling industry the way MikeOH probably feels about Section 8...it's not very good for the country, but I'm happy to make my money there as long as it's legal... :)
Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
16y
Talk to Josh...lol. We were brainstorming on how to make a Bigger Pockets meetup in Las Vegas work. Centering it around a BP hold em tournament would be awesome.