"If they don't allow her to have this transplant coming up right now next week, they're in effect signing her death warrant"
http://cbs4.com/health/Diana.Smith.Woman.2.1623788.html
I've been told this happens a lot more often than this isolated incident. This is the compassionate government run healthcare system at work.
The problem is with the CHOICES people make: new truck payments, big screen TV, pit bull, cell phone, and so many other toys much more fun than health care premiums.
I evict a fair number of these people because they choose some toy over their rent.
I don't know what the answer is, but I don't think it's penalizing those who make responsible choices.
Which, unfortunately, leaves the option of penalizing those who make irresponsible choices.
Darwin had some thoughts on the subject.
this story is sad. I am glad at least she will be able to have her surgery anyway.
http://namesofthedead.com/
So, from this post, I take it you're all for ensuring that every person in this country has health care, whatever it takes?
Health Care is a SERVICE that anyone should be able to BUY. Just like Lawn Care, House Care, Babysitter, etc.... Why should Health Care be any different?
The problem is with the CHOICES people make: new truck payments, big screen TV, pit bull, cell phone, and so many other toys much more fun than health care premiums.
I evict a fair number of these people because they choose some toy over their rent.
I don't know what the answer is, but I don't think it's penalizing those who make responsible choices.
Which, unfortunately, leaves the option of penalizing those who make irresponsible choices.
Darwin had some thoughts on the subject.
Tim - Your thoughts? Why should this woman's surgery be any different than any other services she has to buy?
My personal opinion is that the provision of health services is protected by The Declaration of Independence ("life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness"). I can't imagine anything that has a bigger impact on "life" than preventative and emergency health care.
I don't know if Tim's rationale is the same as mine, but clearly we both agree that this woman should have gotten the health services she needed free of charge if she couldn't afford to pay for them.
You missed the point completely. "Coverage" is just a promise on paper that's only as good as the name behind it. It doesn't mean a thing until the actual life saving operation is done and paid for. The government has made it clear that they have no good name to back up their "coverage" so we're all on the way to having wonderful pieces of paper that don't mean anything. (Geeze, sounds like government fiat currency....)
Choices- I like that point NC. I actually know a lady that received a NEW HOME absolutely free from a source in So. TX(weslaco). I went to visit her in a religious calling. Big gigantic brand new TV in the LR. That sunday she came to church and asked for enough money ($ 450) for a warrant on ticket. The ticket was $65 and she didn't pay until warrant was issued for her arrest in amount of $450. Choices should have some rewards or penalties, imo. No one much accepts responsibility for their actions anymore. Rich
"I didn't know that...can you provide some actual data for my reference?"
http://www.patientpowernow.org/2009/10/12/medicare-denies-most-claims/
http://www.statehousecall.org/which-insurer-denies-the-most-claims
http://www.mrswing.com/articles/How_Do_We_Keep_Gov_t_Honest_Medicare_Denies_More_I.html
http://www.independent.org/blog/?p=4459
http://biggovernment.com/ptuohe/2009/10/05/ama-endorses-largest-denier-of-health-care-claims/
"I always substantiate the claims I make..."
Then substantiate this one: "statistically, if you're in the top 1% of patients who require private health insurance funds for procedures, there is about a 50/50 chance that your private health insurance company will find a reason to drop you"
"But, the actuaries at the insurance companies were smart enough to know that the payouts for the lawsuits would be less than paying for the denied treatments. "
Good lord you don't even know what an actuary's for do you?
I don't however, agree with denying someone access to medical care because they made some bad choices. Even inmates have access to basic health care, and thus, so should regular Americans.