Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
15y
I'll go School House Rock on them. You never know when someone willing to learn something may come along.
Ok kids - when you grow up you will learn this neato thing called reading. Reading is fun! Reading allows you to learn things, look up facts and keep yourself from being a mindless drone when a politician and pundits tell you something and keep repeating it, hoping you will never actually do some research to find out that what they are telling you is complete bullkaka....and it keeps you from sounding like an idiot when someone who actually does read comes along.
The First Amendment of the Constitution details 5 specific rights. Got that? 5. Most people don't know that. Coons didn't know it, but O'Donnell did. That's the same O'Donnell that some folks here are trying to call an idiot - the one who knew the 5 rights of the First Amendment. Here are those 5 rights:
1. Freedom to exercise your religion
2. Freedom of speech
3. Freedom of the press
4. Freedom to peaceably assemble
5. Freedome to petition the United States government for a redress of grievances.
You see kids, it's not about restrictions but about freedoms. When it comes to religion, "separation of church and state" is not a freedom - it is an ideological restriction on activity. There is one restriction in the First Amendment and it specifically says, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof". Read that one closely kids because it's important. This is not the same as "separation of church and state". It is the separation of church from one singular function of government - making laws. Congress is solely restricted from making laws establishing a religion or prohibiting the free exercise of it. That's all. It's only about making laws.
So where did "separation of church and state" come from? It came from Thomas Jefferson, in a letter he wrote while he was President in 1802 to the Danbury Baptist association. Note it was not a law or even an executive order. It was a letter. The total sentence was: "Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise
thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State"
Wow - even Jefferson knew specifically what words were in the Constitution by putting them in quotes, and what words are not. Notice here also that he said it builds "a" wall of separation. That's singular kids. It again refers to just one thing - passing laws. The problem is that there's a lot of people out there who don't want to read and have no idea that even the origin of the phrase separation of church and state acknowledges that this phrase is not in the Constitution and refers only to the passing of laws by Congress.
Want to know what else he said in that letter? His closing sentence was, "I reciprocate your kind prayers for the protection and blessing of the common father and creator of man, and tender you for yourselves and your religious association, assurances of my high respect and esteem." So the same letter that talks about separation of church and state, being sent in an official capacity by the President of the United States, promises to pray for the recipient of the letter to the common father and creator of man. Not exactly separation of Church and State even within that letter.
So kids, you really have to read things and learn for yourself. That's why we spend all this time and money on you when you're young, teaching you how to read. It used to be that every high school student was given a Constitution test as well so that they would actually know the Constitution. This isn't as common anymore and this is one of the reasons why. It's a lot easier to get people to believe something false about a document if they've never read it.
Wholesaler · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2008 · 471 posts · 98 votes
15y
I am amazed and disappointed at the replies and the extremely negative comments aimed as Ms. O'Donnell. I really thought I was in better company on this website. God help us all if your remarks are how you really feel. I will also be changing my opinion regarding the replies I have been getting from some of the people here on BP and have faith knowing that "you reap what you sow"!!!!
Wholesaler · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2008 · 471 posts · 98 votes
15y
By the way, O'Donnell did not blank on the 1st Admendment. She got it exactly right. No where does it state there should be separation between church and state! That is the socialist/liberal intepretation. Oh I almost forgot liberals interpret the Constitution and us Conservatives take it literally and totally believe in its strength and infinite wisdom. It's not a "living documnent"!!!
Real Estate Investor · Tampa Bay, FL · Member since 2009 · 180 posts · 17 votes
15y
Originally posted by Bryan Hancock:
We're not going Rothschilds ruling the world now are we? You have been reading too many Edward Griffin books Michael. Come back to earth!
Not sure who Edward Griffin is. I do know who the Rothschilds are though.
Imagine for a second Bryan, if every dollar in circulation was a debt owed to you with interest. I know that sounds a lot like fiction to you, but it really isn't. Now imagine if that were the case in the case with the Euro, Pound, as well as the dollar and more.
Imagine after invading Iraq that you could buy up 80+% of their banking industry. Who do you think will control their economy in the future? And while it is true that this group does NOT control the whole world yet, they are well on their way.
Check out Hillary straight up telling you the Council on Foreign Relations tells the "officials" what to do:
Real Estate Investor · Tampa Bay, FL · Member since 2009 · 180 posts · 17 votes
15y
Originally posted by Tom Cullen:
Andrew Jackson put the central bankers in their place. Interesting History Channel program a while back told the story.
True. Lincoln also didn't renew their banking charter. It went back and forth many times in the first 100 years or whatever.
OF course Woodrow Wilson apologized after allowing the Federal Reserve Act of 1913 to pass. He basically said, sorry guys I let these guys take over our economy. My bad!
JFK wanted to issue a different currency. Of course, he ended up like Lincoln. So you start to see what happens when you go against the people who really control this economy.
Real Estate Investor · Tampa Bay, FL · Member since 2009 · 180 posts · 17 votes
15y
Heard of it Bryan. Is that the author you mentioned earlier?
If you happen to know another way this nation works, or the answer to this problem, if you can prove that it is BS, I would LOVE to hear. This is one topic I would be thrilled to be wrong about. I am humble enough to be corrected; seriously though please try.
BTW, if you really do go to a CFR meeting, please tell them I said see you in hell *****.
Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
15y
There is simply no way to refute it Michael. People that believe in such things are like people that believe in watching Glen Beck. It is blind belief that rivals religious dogma.
I prefer to try to navigate in the dysfunctional system instead of blaming everything on the Rothschilds. The system ain't perfect, but it is certainly doable.
Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
15y
Originally posted by Sorin T:
Originally posted by rich23s:
Originally posted by Bryan Hancock:
I'm sure her "Graduate Fellowship" makes her an expert in constitutional law too Robert.
Just to be clear...it takes a lawyer to translate the constitution?
A certain degree of literacy and coherence should be required.
Oh, I forgot: some credibility wouldn't hurt either!
SORIN! Where you been buddy? I missed your pointless trolling so much I almost put an evinrude on an inner tube just to get the same effect.
T
(Hint: You ever see someone put a trolling motor on an inner tube? They think they're trolling but in the end they just look kinds stupid, going around in the same circle over and over again.)
Investor · Westminster, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
15y
Barry Obozo quotes:
"On this Memorial Day, as our nation honors its unbroken line of fallen heroes -- and I see many of them in the audience here today -- our sense of patriotism is particularly strong."
"I've now been in 57 states -- I think one left to go."
"We're not trying to push financial reform because we begrudge success that's fairly earned. I mean, I do think at a certain point you've made enough money."
"The reforms we seek would bring greater competition, choice, savings and inefficiencies to our health care system."
"No, no. I have been practicing...I bowled a 129. It's like -- it was like Special Olympics, or something."
"What I was suggesting -- you're absolutely right that John McCain has not talked about my Muslim faith..."
"Let me be absolutely clear. Israel is a strong friend of Israel's. It will be a strong friend of Israel's under a McCain...administration. It will be a strong friend of Israel's under an Obama administration. So that policy is not going to change."
"It's not surprising, then, they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."
"In case you missed it, this week, there was a tragedy in Kansas. Ten thousand people died -- an entire town destroyed." (12 were killed)
And people call Obama an 'intelligent' president! I'll put Christine O'Donnell up against him any day and she will smoke him (while he smokes a cigarette, which is proof of his judgement)
Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
15y
Have we resorted to masked grammar smack?! I can understand attacking someone that can barely form complete sentences, but Tim is a pretty good writer from what I have seen. The last time I checked they don't let people that need remedial grammar into law school!
Let's get back to ragging on the sorry crop of politicians we have running this cycle ;-)