Online or in store? (unofficial non-scientific survey)

Online or in store? (unofficial non-scientific survey)

SFR Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

For those you have the time and interest, I'm conducting a little research on consumer and business buying habits, namely do they prefer to shop online, in stores, or both. This is for a little marketing project I'm working on.

To kick things off, I'll post my own madness so you can get the idea of what I'm shooting for.

I prefer shopping/buying online when:
- I'm on a tight budget for a particular product and I can save significant money buying online.
- I'm not in any hurry for the product, i.e., I can wait for shipping.
- The product is difficult to find locally or simply not available, so I HAVE to shop online.
- The web site/company was very helpful in making my decision/selecting the product I needed so I feel they deserve the sale.

I prefer shopping/buying in a store when:
- I need the product NOW or very soon.
- The price is competitive with online suppliers, especially after factoring in shipping costs.
- I really need to see and feel the product first hand before deciding on a purchase.
- I like to support my local economy so long as I'm not over-spending.
- The store or salespeople were very helpful so I feel they deserve the sale.

Looking forward to your responses. Thank you for taking the time to participate. (nobody's names will be part of this research) :D

0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Brian LevredgePro Member
Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 903 votes
15y

If I could buy everything online I probably would. I pretty much hate shopping, especially if it involves having to go to a mall and walk around.

Having said that, things like groceries and clothing pretty much have to be done in person. I would also agree about bigger ticket items like furniture or electronics. Anything else I pretty much buy on line. I find the prices are often better than what you will find locally (regardless of sales tax) and the shipping is way less than what I would spend in fuel to get there and in how I value my time.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    15y

    Interesting question. My responses are similar to yours, for the most part:

    Online:
    Probably the number one reason is that something is available online. Computer hardware is much more available online that locally, for example.

    Cost. Even if you can find things locally, such as lathe and mill tooling, prices and selection are much better online.

    Books. Now that I've converted to a kindle (everyone wants a kindle, they just may not realize it yet) and iPad for reading, if a book isn't available electronically, its probably not on my reading list. There are exceptions, but for "junk reading", there's plenty available electronically, and for technical reading, electronic media is far superior with searching and bookmarking capabilities. Even when I do buy a book in hardcopy, its most likely to be bought from an online source because the selection and pricing is better.

    Used items. I never cease to be amazed what you can find on ebay. Amazon also has a lot of used stuff.

    Local

    Food, drinks, and liquor. Almost exclusively local purchases.

    Bulky or heavy items. Stuff like lumber, building materials and metal is pretty much local. The exception would be smaller specialty items that aren't easily available locally (back to that selection factor.)

    Car parts. I've bought some online, but I've found that in most cases, local parts stores or tire stores have about the same prices and good availability.

    Like you mention, I do like to try to support local stores. Often, though, that's supporting a local outlet of some big chain, so it has more to do with wanting to keep a store close by.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    15y

    If I need it now, or there's a high probability that I may need to return/exchange I buy in the store. Otherwise online.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Hyattsville , MD · Member since 2011 · 298 posts · 256 votes
    15y

    My reasons for shopping online mirror yours minus the web site/company being helpful. Its usually something I cant find locally or I need to save money by finding someone online who sells the same product and I dont need it immediately.

    My reasons for buying in a store are similar minus the sales people deserving the sale- thats never a factor in my purchases and I am also never tyring to support my local economy at least thats not a thought in my mind when purchasing. Usually the first 3 factors.

  • Brian LevredgePro Member
    Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 903 votes
    15y

    If I could buy everything online I probably would. I pretty much hate shopping, especially if it involves having to go to a mall and walk around.

    Having said that, things like groceries and clothing pretty much have to be done in person. I would also agree about bigger ticket items like furniture or electronics. Anything else I pretty much buy on line. I find the prices are often better than what you will find locally (regardless of sales tax) and the shipping is way less than what I would spend in fuel to get there and in how I value my time.

  • Wholesaler · Dallas, TX · Member since 2011 · 294 posts · 152 votes
    15y

    Mitch,

    Interesting subject.

    I use the same logic as you do when deciding between the two options. Although I will shop locally (and pay a premium) when I can support a local mom and pop store that provides me with good customer service.

    For example, one of my hobbies is salt water aquariums. Shopping online for products and livestock is MUCH cheaper than my local fish store. But I choose to buy everything from my shop for the following reasons: I enjoy talking aquariums with people, I like to stroll around the store and look at their variety of fish and corals, they're always ready to answer my questions, and they will provide me a place to store my livestock if my tank was to encounter a problem.

    The salt water business operates on very thin margins and these stores are becoming harder to find. Therefore I'll pay a premium to keep their doors open and their services available.

    The same logic is applied to my other hobbies as well. I love my local Ducati shop and their prices are outragous. But they're always around to look at my bike when needed. They have cool MotoGP watch parties. They organize large group rides and most importantly, they let me test ride every new bike.

    In today's digital world, I believe many people forget the value of good customer service that is supported by local spending.

  • Investor · Diamond Bar, CA · Member since 2009 · 446 posts · 233 votes
    15y

    If I know a specific product that I want then it's all about price. I am not interested in spending money locally if it is simply to keep a business open that is incorporating an inefficient business model, my few dollars will not keep them open and it is simply a waste of resources. You would be better off helping that local business have a back office that doubles as an online retailer, have them organize events like the motorcycle store, and/or somehow diversify, maybe even start a hobbyists online forum where they help expand the desire and interest in their business etc.

    I knew a little Dutch store that stayed open long after the local Dutch community left the neighborhood. The reason they stayed open is because they were a major importer from Holland and supplies Dutch items to other stores throughout the United States. Lesson learned.... the adapted to a changing local dynamic/economy.

    But if a local store has the best price I would rather go pick it up than order and wait for delivery for most items.

    Even computers, my last 3 laptops I bought at Best Buy. Walk in, pay $350-$399, walk out and you are good for cheap portability for a couple years. I could not find a better deal for the processing power/screen/RAM etc online even when I tried.

    Clothing is the toughest buy online. Well cheap clothing is easy but I would never buy slacks, ties, or suits online. There is too much that cannot be discerned through the computer screen. Texture of fabric, feel, the way the suit lays. Never. Even shoe and work boots - unless I can find an exact model match for what I already own, then I would need to go to the store. Same manufacturer and different style never fits the same.

  • Property Manager · Johnson City NY · Member since 2011 · 77 posts · 1 vote
    15y

    I hardly ever shop but when I do it, it is on line. I wish I could do groceries this way...

  • Investor · Diamond Bar, CA · Member since 2009 · 446 posts · 233 votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Joanne Basecki:
    I hardly ever shop but when I do it, it is on line. I wish I could do groceries this way...

    You can.

    In my area Safeway delivers. In some areas ther are local small companies that will deliver. In fact, I just got a flyer not too long ago on a house up in Sacramento that mentioned a grocery/shopping delivery service.

    It is out there - at least out here.

  • Investor · -, IL · Member since 2010 · 409 posts · 616 votes
    15y

    Gotta say I prefer online. I absolutely hate malls with a passion.

  • SFR Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    Thanks everyone for participating. I collected some great info.

    @ Jon - Great point about looking for second-hand items online. Many times, we can save a good deal of money by purchasing used, the trouble is finding it. Sure, we can spend all weekend checking out garage sales, thrift stores, and consignment shops (the latter never cheap in my experience), but you still may not find the item you're looking for and all you have to show for the effort is several wasted hours and gallons of gas. However, online, the entire world market is open to you. If it's out there, you will probably find it.

    @ Stinson - What you mentioned, IMO, is a huge part of "brick and mortar" retail shops. If a store tries to compete on price alone, they will get eaten alive by the online retail community. It's almost impossible to go head-to-head against the super low overhead of a virtual shop. However, what a real store can offer is an "experience" for its patron, something very hard to offer online (yeah, we all know forums are way cool, especially BP, but nothing beats actual face-to-face interaction). This "experience" is one reason stores like Starbucks have people shelling out $5 a cup for lousy coffee and milk - you simply cannot beat the casual, yet classy, atmosphere of their lounge-type stores, with the easy-listening jazz playing over the speakers, your poets and would-be screenwriters banging out their next masterpiece on their laptop computers, and Realtors or notaries in the corner signing offers and loan docs. We have a self-serve yogurt shop in our area that is doing very well because they mimicked the same look and feel of a Starbucks. The product itself has almost been relegated to second in importance.

    Thanks again everyone.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Siesta Key, FL · Member since 2011 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    15y

    Might be coming in a little late on this, but I've been arguing about online shopping with a few friends lately so have to put in my 2 cents!

    I definitely prefer buying online - I'll wait for shipping on a lot of clothing that I can get online where it is easier to find my size then visiting a bunch of stores (although I'll usually only purchase things from online stores where I already know how the clothing fit). Also I'm a firm believer in the Amazon 2 day shipping with the student discount - I had it while in graduate school and it was fabulous for any book and movies I needed.

    Obviously, food shopping is the one thing I definitely do in person, and like others said - if it is something I need right then and there, or if the shipping costs are so high that it is worth it to go to the store instead.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.