New to Real Estate · Grapevine, TX · Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 1 vote
My goal is buy/sell/rent Single-Family homes after I finish school. Skills I am looking to acquire between now and then are how to evaluate residential RE markets, how to accurately forecast property cash flows, and how to make up leasing contracts and evaluate prospective tenants.
My problem is I have no money right now and will graduate(December 2021) with approximately 25K in debt. I have a degree in Finance and am pursuing a Master's of Real Estate. My plan is to pay off my debt and fund residential RE deals by landing a job in Commercial Real Estate. I have no aspirations for climbing the corporate ladder.
My question is what job in Commercial RE should pursue? Which will teach me the most about buying/selling/renting single-family homes? Should I pursue mortgage banking, investment groups with focus on multi-family asset management, development, real estate brokerage, valuation/appraisal, etc.?
Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
5y
What you'll learn in school isn't really going to prepare you all that well for investing in real estate. I would suggest you invest a similar amount of focus on actively brokering deals with a large firm like CBRE or Marcus and Millichap and go after your CCIM as well. In the Austin are I have found that the CCIMs are really a cut above most agents and many are pretty good investors too. Getting started on brokerage will allow you to learn cutting your teeth on other people's deals and it will also teach you to source projects so that if you ultimately wish to be selective about which projects you place your personal capital with there will be room for an equity tranche to help you organize the capital.
College is great background material so don't listen to the people who claim it is not needed. Use the and operator though and consider sequencing in real world experience as a top priority soon.
Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y
@Account Closed You have said it yourself. If buying selling renting sfh is your goal then focus on that in school. That sounds to me like brokerage and management might be key areas of focus.