Build-to-rent (Finding infill lots)

Build-to-rent (Finding infill lots)

Thomas MagillPro Member
Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 66 posts · 34 votes

I do build-to-rent investing and I'm looking to become an expert in finding infill lots, or scattered lots. I'm currently doing mailers and FB posts. In addition, I've started the process for a text message campaign. I've been doing this for about 6 years and have slowly scaled my business, but am trying to take it to the next level. Please provide any info you have on finding lots.

Thank you!

2Reply
105 views

Most Popular Reply

Robert EllisBusiness Member
Developer · Miami, FL · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
2y
Quote from @Thomas Magill:

I do build-to-rent investing and I'm looking to become an expert in finding infill lots, or scattered lots. I'm currently doing mailers and FB posts. In addition, I've started the process for a text message campaign. I've been doing this for about 6 years and have slowly scaled my business, but am trying to take it to the next level. Please provide any info you have on finding lots.

Thank you!


 how has build to rent been going for you in your market? there hasn't been a ton of discussion since it's a fairly newer concept let me know if you'd be interested in discussing further. I'm in columbus oh doing these here 

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2018 · 20 posts · 4 votes
    3y

    Hey I have found a lot of lots in the Central Florida that I can show you, and there is a lot of development on the area!

  • Angie CastroBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2022 · 133 posts · 128 votes
    3y

    Hey Thomas, Why are you looking specifically for infill lots? Would you be open to other type of lots ready to build?  I get some in Gastonia and in Monroe. Shoot me a message to see if I can help you find what you are looking for. 

    Angie Castro with Monarch Group4.847 Reviews
    • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2012 · 68 posts · 19 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Angie Castro:

      Hey Thomas, Why are you looking specifically for infill lots? Would you be open to other type of lots ready to build?  I get some in Gastonia and in Monroe. Shoot me a message to see if I can help you find what you are looking for. 


       I would be interested in the gastonia and monroe lots or teardowns. 

  • Realtor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2021 · 118 posts · 25 votes
    3y

    I've seen tons of lots sold very cheap at county tax auctions in counties I live in/nearby. I own a couple in a small lake community outside Kansas City. I'd love to find out more about your business!

  • Rental Property Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 24 posts · 24 votes
    3y

    @Thomas Magill I own 8 parcels in Florence, SC. I’d be willing to sell a couple. Let me know if you’re interested.

  • Thomas MagillPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 66 posts · 34 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Angie Castro:

    Hey Thomas, Why are you looking specifically for infill lots? Would you be open to other type of lots ready to build?  I get some in Gastonia and in Monroe. Shoot me a message to see if I can help you find what you are looking for. 


     I’m looking for infill lots because they typically have water and sewer. But, you are correct, they don’t have to be infill lots. But, I do need to have water and sewer tap connections 

  • Thomas MagillPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 66 posts · 34 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Tasha McCray:

    @Thomas Magill I own 8 parcels in Florence, SC. I’d be willing to sell a couple. Let me know if you’re interested.

    Unfortunately that’s a little far away from me. 
  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Thomas Magill:
    Quote from @Angie Castro:

    Hey Thomas, Why are you looking specifically for infill lots? Would you be open to other type of lots ready to build?  I get some in Gastonia and in Monroe. Shoot me a message to see if I can help you find what you are looking for. 


     I’m looking for infill lots because they typically have water and sewer. But, you are correct, they don’t have to be infill lots. But, I do need to have water and sewer tap connections 

    Whenever I look for a specific type of property, I like to take a direct approach
    Identify likely properties from available public information and records.  You can do automated searches in May locales for vacant land by square footage; a say 20,000 square foot parcel is more likely to be an infill situation than a 200,000 sq ft lot.  The the ownership records can be accessed; in Texas and Arizona contact information is readily available.  Most of the time a mailing address is provided, further Google search or private data bases may uncover phone or email. 
    All this can be done with hired help, either for a limited time or ongoing.  

    You could also join real estate groups, virtually or in person.  Many members of these groups have acquired odd parcels that they’d love to turn in cash.  Just let the groups know what you’re looking for, and the offers to sell will come in.  

    We’ve recently scaled our private lending business.  We upgraded our website at a cost of about $2,000; we initiated a SEO program cost of which is $300 or so monthly, and we initiated an email campaign cost of $275 monthly.  The results are that we doubled our annual loan volume from $15 million to $33 million.  
    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
    • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2012 · 68 posts · 19 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Don Konipol:
      Quote from @Thomas Magill:
      Quote from @Angie Castro:

      Hey Thomas, Why are you looking specifically for infill lots? Would you be open to other type of lots ready to build?  I get some in Gastonia and in Monroe. Shoot me a message to see if I can help you find what you are looking for. 


       I’m looking for infill lots because they typically have water and sewer. But, you are correct, they don’t have to be infill lots. But, I do need to have water and sewer tap connections 

      Whenever I look for a specific type of property, I like to take a direct approach
      Identify likely properties from available public information and records.  You can do automated searches in May locales for vacant land by square footage; a say 20,000 square foot parcel is more likely to be an infill situation than a 200,000 sq ft lot.  The the ownership records can be accessed; in Texas and Arizona contact information is readily available.  Most of the time a mailing address is provided, further Google search or private data bases may uncover phone or email. 
      All this can be done with hired help, either for a limited time or ongoing.  

      You could also join real estate groups, virtually or in person.  Many members of these groups have acquired odd parcels that they’d love to turn in cash.  Just let the groups know what you’re looking for, and the offers to sell will come in.  

      We’ve recently scaled our private lending business.  We upgraded our website at a cost of about $2,000; we initiated a SEO program cost of which is $300 or so monthly, and we initiated an email campaign cost of $275 monthly.  The results are that we doubled our annual loan volume from $15 million to $33 million.  

       great answer.. thank you for sharing. 

  • Thomas MagillPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 66 posts · 34 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Don Konipol:
    Quote from @Thomas Magill:
    Quote from @Angie Castro:

    Hey Thomas, Why are you looking specifically for infill lots? Would you be open to other type of lots ready to build?  I get some in Gastonia and in Monroe. Shoot me a message to see if I can help you find what you are looking for. 


     I’m looking for infill lots because they typically have water and sewer. But, you are correct, they don’t have to be infill lots. But, I do need to have water and sewer tap connections 

    Whenever I look for a specific type of property, I like to take a direct approach
    Identify likely properties from available public information and records.  You can do automated searches in May locales for vacant land by square footage; a say 20,000 square foot parcel is more likely to be an infill situation than a 200,000 sq ft lot.  The the ownership records can be accessed; in Texas and Arizona contact information is readily available.  Most of the time a mailing address is provided, further Google search or private data bases may uncover phone or email. 
    All this can be done with hired help, either for a limited time or ongoing.  

    You could also join real estate groups, virtually or in person.  Many members of these groups have acquired odd parcels that they’d love to turn in cash.  Just let the groups know what you’re looking for, and the offers to sell will come in.  

    We’ve recently scaled our private lending business.  We upgraded our website at a cost of about $2,000; we initiated a SEO program cost of which is $300 or so monthly, and we initiated an email campaign cost of $275 monthly.  The results are that we doubled our annual loan volume from $15 million to $33 million.  
    Thank you Don! I’m going to focus on more of a rifle approach rather than the shotgun approach I’ve been using. I will be integrating your suggestions along the way. 
  • Robert EllisBusiness Member
    Developer · Miami, FL · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Thomas Magill:

    I do build-to-rent investing and I'm looking to become an expert in finding infill lots, or scattered lots. I'm currently doing mailers and FB posts. In addition, I've started the process for a text message campaign. I've been doing this for about 6 years and have slowly scaled my business, but am trying to take it to the next level. Please provide any info you have on finding lots.

    Thank you!


     how has build to rent been going for you in your market? there hasn't been a ton of discussion since it's a fairly newer concept let me know if you'd be interested in discussing further. I'm in columbus oh doing these here 

  • Thomas MagillPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 66 posts · 34 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Robert Ellis:
    Quote from @Thomas Magill:

    I do build-to-rent investing and I'm looking to become an expert in finding infill lots, or scattered lots. I'm currently doing mailers and FB posts. In addition, I've started the process for a text message campaign. I've been doing this for about 6 years and have slowly scaled my business, but am trying to take it to the next level. Please provide any info you have on finding lots.

    Thank you!


     how has build to rent been going for you in your market? there hasn't been a ton of discussion since it's a fairly newer concept let me know if you'd be interested in discussing further. I'm in columbus oh doing these here 


     Robert:

    Build-to-rent is going well, but you have to bring some equity to the table because the cost to build gap to value is shrinking. But, with 10-20% equity they work fairly well. With the builder confidence coming down hopefully the cost will follow.

  • Thomas MagillPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 66 posts · 34 votes
    2y

    Thank you for all the reply's. I've been pulling tax delinquent lists and using deal machine. The leads are coming in but not at the pace I'd like. I'm sure it will take time like anything else. 

  • Contractor · Jackson, MS · Member since 2019 · 50 posts · 25 votes
    2y

    Thomas,

    Great post! I’m a builder in Jackson, MS. I’m also researching the build to rent strategy. Facebook market place and local realtors have been a big help for lead gen. I just recently posted on FB that I’m looking for infill lots and received several quality leads.

    Best of luck

  • Robert EllisBusiness Member
    Developer · Miami, FL · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Thomas Magill:
    Quote from @Robert Ellis:
    Quote from @Thomas Magill:

    I do build-to-rent investing and I'm looking to become an expert in finding infill lots, or scattered lots. I'm currently doing mailers and FB posts. In addition, I've started the process for a text message campaign. I've been doing this for about 6 years and have slowly scaled my business, but am trying to take it to the next level. Please provide any info you have on finding lots.

    Thank you!


     how has build to rent been going for you in your market? there hasn't been a ton of discussion since it's a fairly newer concept let me know if you'd be interested in discussing further. I'm in columbus oh doing these here 


     Robert:

    Build-to-rent is going well, but you have to bring some equity to the table because the cost to build gap to value is shrinking. But, with 10-20% equity they work fairly well. With the builder confidence coming down hopefully the cost will follow.


     If you shoot me a message it's not like that here. We have one floorplan we build I could show you on a zoom for $110 a sq ft and it's all about the design. 2500 sq ft, 4 bed, 3 bath, 2 car garage and infill lots here are $25k or under mostly suburban. If you shoot me a message I can get you the info. 

  • New to Real Estate · Portsmouth, VA · Member since 2023 · 22 posts · 15 votes
    1y

    Hey Thomas,

    I know this post is from a while back, but I came across it while researching infill strategies and wanted to reach out just in case you’re still active in this space.

    I've got a cleared infill lot in Portsmouth, VA (about 2,500 sq ft, zoned URH, no HOA) that I'm looking to sell with creative financing. No recent survey, but it's buildable and could be a solid fit for a build-to-rent model.

    Not sure if you’re still buying or even scouting in this area, but I’d be happy to send over details if it’s something you’d be interested in.

    Either way, appreciate all the insight you shared in your post—hope your business has continued to grow since then.

    • Thomas MagillPro Member
      OP
      Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 66 posts · 34 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Kyle Thomas:

      Hey Thomas,

      I know this post is from a while back, but I came across it while researching infill strategies and wanted to reach out just in case you’re still active in this space.

      I've got a cleared infill lot in Portsmouth, VA (about 2,500 sq ft, zoned URH, no HOA) that I'm looking to sell with creative financing. No recent survey, but it's buildable and could be a solid fit for a build-to-rent model.

      Not sure if you’re still buying or even scouting in this area, but I’d be happy to send over details if it’s something you’d be interested in.

      Either way, appreciate all the insight you shared in your post—hope your business has continued to grow since then.


    • Thomas MagillPro Member
      OP
      Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 66 posts · 34 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Kyle Thomas:

      Hey Thomas,

      I know this post is from a while back, but I came across it while researching infill strategies and wanted to reach out just in case you’re still active in this space.

      I've got a cleared infill lot in Portsmouth, VA (about 2,500 sq ft, zoned URH, no HOA) that I'm looking to sell with creative financing. No recent survey, but it's buildable and could be a solid fit for a build-to-rent model.

      Not sure if you’re still buying or even scouting in this area, but I’d be happy to send over details if it’s something you’d be interested in.

      Either way, appreciate all the insight you shared in your post—hope your business has continued to grow since then.


      Thanks for sending but I focus on Gaston County NC.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.