Sober Living Investment

Sober Living Investment

Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2023 · 189 posts · 88 votes

Hey BP,

I'm a STR Manager & investor, and wanted to share a fun project! We came across a large single-family residence with two kitchens, right next to a commercial zone, that was previously used as a sober living facility. I have a soft heart for those who deal with these struggles, it felt like a meaningful way to combine doing good with smart investing.

With some changes to the management structure and leadership, I believe we can significantly increase the revenue potential while providing a positive impact. I gave the house a harmonious name, & so far it has cash flowed from day 1. 

Does anyone here invest in sober living? As long as no “healthcare” services are provided (like medication or personal care), it’s not regulated by the Department of Health. The City seems open to it as long as the contracts are structured the right way. I think I’ve covered my bases, but I’d love to connect with others working on similar models or interested in this niche.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts! Any horror stories or good wins in this niche?

Keith Mintz

3Reply
222 views

Most Popular Reply

Jaycee GreenePro Member
Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
1y

hey @Keith Mintz A couple investors on the forum that come to mind (among many others) are Noah Laker and Michael King.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jaycee GreenePro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
    1y

    hey @Keith Mintz A couple investors on the forum that come to mind (among many others) are Noah Laker and Michael King.

  • Alecia LovelessPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    @Keith Mintz Will you be running the house or leasing to a company that does sober living.

    If you will be leasing be sure to get a good maintenance clause in your lease. I’d recommend something like the tenant is responsible for the first $500, $750, or whatever in repairs for each occurrence.

    This way if there’s physical damage by residents the company pays the first $500 to fix it.

    If there’s physical damage dishwasher goes out 3 times in one year like it has in the program I work at the company pays the first $500 towards repairs or the new one.

    Just my $0.02 working in the industry.

  • Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2023 · 189 posts · 88 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Alecia Loveless:

    @Keith Mintz Will you be running the house or leasing to a company that does sober living.

    If you will be leasing be sure to get a good maintenance clause in your lease. I’d recommend something like the tenant is responsible for the first $500, $750, or whatever in repairs for each occurrence.

    This way if there’s physical damage by residents the company pays the first $500 to fix it.

    If there’s physical damage dishwasher goes out 3 times in one year like it has in the program I work at the company pays the first $500 towards repairs or the new one.

    Just my $0.02 working in the industry.


     Thanks so much Alecia!, I appreciate your feedback on that. Definitely an important clause to have with all the wear and tear! Luckily I did have a clause where the sober living company is paying all repairs and maintenance unless it is structural issues. Hopefully that will do the trick 👍🏻

  • Real Estate Coach · Webster MA · Member since 2025 · 14 posts · 12 votes
    1y

    Hi @Keith Mintz That sounds like a really meaningful and smart project! I love how you’re blending impact with investing which exactly the kind of approach that can make a real difference.

    I’ve worked with investors and operators through Vanderburgh Sober Living, and one thing that stands out is how much effective management and resident support can boost both the stability and success of these homes. Things like structured leadership, clear house guidelines, and ongoing support services really help create a positive environment that benefits everyone involved.

    It’s interesting to hear how the city’s open to it with the right contract structures, navigating those details well definitely makes a big difference. I’m curious, what kind of management changes are you thinking about implementing?

    Would love to swap stories and ideas with you, investing in sober living has so much potential when done thoughtfully.

    • Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2023 · 189 posts · 88 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Mitch Tamap:

      Hi @Keith Mintz That sounds like a really meaningful and smart project! I love how you’re blending impact with investing which exactly the kind of approach that can make a real difference.

      I’ve worked with investors and operators through Vanderburgh Sober Living, and one thing that stands out is how much effective management and resident support can boost both the stability and success of these homes. Things like structured leadership, clear house guidelines, and ongoing support services really help create a positive environment that benefits everyone involved.

      It’s interesting to hear how the city’s open to it with the right contract structures, navigating those details well definitely makes a big difference. I’m curious, what kind of management changes are you thinking about implementing?

      Would love to swap stories and ideas with you, investing in sober living has so much potential when done thoughtfully.


       Absolutely! Managment is huge. I currently rent to the operator who already has it figured out, allowing me to cash flow. But my next goal is to get more involved and integrate a more closer focused program to push for success in sobriety and life by holding more accountability and providing more resources.

      Let’s chat more, I can go into more detail! Feel free to connect with me!

    • Member since 2024 · 1 post · 0 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Mitch Tamap:

      Hi @Keith Mintz That sounds like a really meaningful and smart project! I love how you’re blending impact with investing which exactly the kind of approach that can make a real difference.

      I’ve worked with investors and operators through Vanderburgh Sober Living, and one thing that stands out is how much effective management and resident support can boost both the stability and success of these homes. Things like structured leadership, clear house guidelines, and ongoing support services really help create a positive environment that benefits everyone involved.

      It’s interesting to hear how the city’s open to it with the right contract structures, navigating those details well definitely makes a big difference. I’m curious, what kind of management changes are you thinking about implementing?

      Would love to swap stories and ideas with you, investing in sober living has so much potential when done thoughtfully.


       Hello!  I invested in a six bedroom property a year ago, and am using it as a sober/structured living home for single mothers and their children.  We have a positive cash flow, and are really making a difference in the lives of these women and their kids.  I would like to scale this project, and am seeking investors for other properties. 

    • Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2023 · 189 posts · 88 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Erin Kerr:
      Quote from @Mitch Tamap:

      Hi @Keith Mintz That sounds like a really meaningful and smart project! I love how you’re blending impact with investing which exactly the kind of approach that can make a real difference.

      I’ve worked with investors and operators through Vanderburgh Sober Living, and one thing that stands out is how much effective management and resident support can boost both the stability and success of these homes. Things like structured leadership, clear house guidelines, and ongoing support services really help create a positive environment that benefits everyone involved.

      It’s interesting to hear how the city’s open to it with the right contract structures, navigating those details well definitely makes a big difference. I’m curious, what kind of management changes are you thinking about implementing?

      Would love to swap stories and ideas with you, investing in sober living has so much potential when done thoughtfully.


       Hello!  I invested in a six bedroom property a year ago, and am using it as a sober/structured living home for single mothers and their children.  We have a positive cash flow, and are really making a difference in the lives of these women and their kids.  I would like to scale this project, and am seeking investors for other properties. 


      Sounds like we may have aligned missions. I am interested to connect with you in scaling! 

    • Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2014 · 11 posts · 7 votes
      8mo

      @Erin Kerr I'm interested. 

    • Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2014 · 11 posts · 7 votes
      8mo

      @Keith Mintz interested as well

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.