OpenDoor.com promises instant offers and a 3 day close

OpenDoor.com promises instant offers and a 3 day close

Houston, TX · Member since 2011 · 673 posts · 360 votes

looks like some Silicon Valley execs are going to give flipping properties a shot on a large scale.  Would love to hear the boards thoughts on this.

http://www.inman.com/2014/05/30/opendoor-paypal-vet-keith-rabois-big-data-house-flipping-startup-has-funding-and-will-launch-in-july/

www.opendoor.com

I think, if executed properly, it could work, but there are a lot of hurdles to overcome.  Frankly $6M of funding for this kind of undertaking seems a bit low.

0Reply
4 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Houston, TX · Member since 2011 · 673 posts · 360 votes
    12y

    mods-delete

    Looks like I was late to this party and @Brad Chandler beat me to it!

  • Specialist · Houston, TX · Member since 2012 · 579 posts · 301 votes
    12y

    Hmm, looks like someone's comments got deleted.  But I'm trying to see how this will work without someone physically verifying that:

    1. There is actually a house at the site and not a burned out hull
    2. Repairs are not unusually high.

    I can see the algorithm gurus in silicon valley being pretty good with standard homes but it's the outliers that could kill them.  I had a guy 'buy' a wholesale deal via an auction a few months ago, site unseen, and then when he saw the house and realized the repairs were not for the faint of heart (all disclosed and photographed), he backed out and lost his earnest money.  If their prices are anywhere near Zillow or epraisal prices then I'd sell them my houses all day long!

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 31 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    I just heard of this company. From what I have learned they are legit. They are offering market value! They are not trying to buy at a discount. They get you the value quick online. I think they send a person to your home to do an inspection. They do charge 5.5% similar to real estate agent commissions. They are in phoenix now and will be moving to dallas soon. 

    Seems like a pretty cool business. I could see them having a major impact on any market they enter. 

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2012 · 408 posts · 37 votes
    11y

    What is their business model?

  • Fresno, CA · Member since 2015 · 1 post · 0 votes
    11y

    What do they do with the homes they purchase? How can they pay full market value and then flip it to make a profit? Is this a buy-and-hold company that's renting these homes out?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.