What Makes a "Sub$30k" House?

What Makes a "Sub$30k" House?

Real Estate Investor · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2012 · 136 posts · 83 votes

I've started a new "Sub$30k" thread in an effort to step away from the chaos that has become a few of the other threads. While I've reviewed most of the opinions contained in their respective comments sections, I'd like to publicly tell everyone my experience, why I feel how I do, and present you finally with a question: "What makes a "Sub$30k" house?

I first started in real estate in 2005 at 23 years old with a $100,000 home purchase. My agent assured me this would be a sound investment and that it would grow over time. I'd read a lot, done what I considered to be a large amount of analysis, had a degree in business, and figured I should plug my nose and jump. 

This is the approach that many BP users have advocated for newbies: Buy a more expensive property/cash flow is your enemy/look to appreciation/cheap houses=anathema. Since 2005, that $100k house has been my biggest, most constant headache. The construction quality is awful. Like many other recent builds, this one was thrown together. It needed a new roof after only 9 years. It has had many, many problems. A friend of mine purchased a house in Texas that was recent construction that already has foundation issues 10 years later, while a few of my houses that are older than my grandmother are structurally very sound due to what I consider a higher-quality standard in terms of craftsmanship and also better materials.

As a person first starting out, this experience was absolutely devastating. It felt like every other month I was on the hook for a new major repair, a tenant was threatening to move out because of some problem, and I still had a huge mortgage to contend with. I almost gave up investing and sold it off at a steep loss. That is also what EVERYONE around me said to do. Cut your losses, move on, real estate investment isn't for you. Everyone gets out of it. There is no money to be made with rentals. I began to second guess everything I'd read/done and felt defeated, looking at my bleeding balance sheet. Did I just have bad luck? Was there really no money to be made? What could I have done to avoid this?

But what if I'd invested in a "Sub30k" house as my first? What if I'd had heavy cash flow in a solid working class neighborhood? My property manager/agent of course did not want that. No one wants to manage a house that doesn't bring in a large monthly rent. No one wants to sell a $30k house and collect a paltry 3%. 

In my opinion what you have are a lot of salesmen here who push a product. They understand the commission side. If I were selling turnkey properties, I'd be on here telling everyone to let me solve your problems. Let me do all the dirty work and put in the elbow grease. Hand over the lion's share of your profits and I'll gladly make money with your money.

I've since gravitated toward "Sub$30k" houses like this one (Paid $25,000 and did $3,000 in renovation): 

What a dump, right? The eaves needed to be painted, it needed some other work, so what? It has rented for $750-775 every month since I bought it and it always rents the first day it becomes vacant. Property taxes and insurance are a combined $80 a month. 

I WISH I'd started with this house as my first. I wouldn't have become so gun-shy and waited 3 years to make a subsequent purchase. I'd have been in the market when things were cheaper and my portfolio would be much more impressive now. I'd have developed better skills. I'd have understood that with a portfolio of cash-churners, you can absorb operating costs a lot better much sooner. <--I consider this to be one of the most important lessons to be learned in REI.

By the way, I could sell this "junker" for $70k now and I did not buy it at the bottom of the investment cycle. I put sweat equity into it. I refinished the hardwood floors and Art Deco woodwork. Does that make this a "Sub 30k piece of garbage" or did I merely pay sub $30k for a $70k property? How can we really paint all properties with the same brush and say simply because you pay less than $30k it is a bad investment? 

What if someone sold you a Corvette for $5? Would you sell it to me for $10 to double your money? Is it a $5 car? 

10Reply
336 views

Most Popular Reply

Dawn AnastasiPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
11y

I'd rather buy a $30k house than a $100k house because I've just saved $70k.  If the $100k house only needs $10k of repairs over the lifetime of owning it, but the $30k house needs 3x that amount, but I can get the same rent, I'm actually ahead financially with the $30k house.

See this reply in the discussion

61 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Arlington, VA · Member since 2012 · 300 posts · 277 votes
    10y

    @Ben Stout  I think I voted for you about 8 times on this thread. Same message, different messenger, and thanks for putting yourself out there. When you're in this niche, you're sort of treated like a stranger on the train that everyone thinks let rip a silent one.  This is the same strategy that, when I was searched for solutions, help on BP  6 years ago, I could find no one, really, except everyone telling me I absolutely SHOULD NOT INVEST HERE. I have, its been great, and I've been teaching the public since then how they shouldnt over look these gems.

    Anyways, come join the sub30k mastermind group, a lot of sub30k investors who have solutions, and answers, a lot of experienced volunteers. The investors on BP are experienced and talented, but when it comes to this sub30k niche, most are so sure you're going to lose it all, when the exact opposite has occurred for me and others: it has literally given my husband and I the ability for me to be a stay at home mom. Im very grateful for this rental property niche, as I know investors who have way more properties that have the exact same cash flow as we do.

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Ben Stout:
    1. I first started in real estate in 2005 at 23 years old with a $100,000 home purchase. My agent assured me this would be a sound investment and that it would grow over time.

    Can't believe everything  you're told, but by now you've figured that out, sorry.

    1. This is the approach that many BP users have advocated for newbies:   'Buy a more expensive property/cash flow is your enemy/look to appreciation/cheap houses=anathema'. 

    Don't over generalize.

    I'm a buy&hold investor and I buy explicitly and only if there's cash flow.  Appreciation be hanged - - that occurs down stream and I'm not throwing a lot of red ink month after month to get $1.99 (aka cheap or low) appreciation.  At the very least, the property IMO must support itself.

    Just like Cap Rate is really a meaningless indicator of good/bad, Price is too.  Measure cash-on-cash and you've got you eyes on the single indicator of what you money is doing for you.

    Both c/c & c/r start with NOI and you tune (or manage) it by a) avoiding expenses with due diligence and b) buying right (good price in good neighorhood), c) marketing right (at or just below FMV rents) and d) screening applicants well.

  • Real Estate Investor · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2012 · 136 posts · 83 votes
    10y

    @Lisa Phillips The most fortunate/unfortunate part of all of this for me has been that all my sub30k have doubled in value. I either have to sell them now and find new places for the  money, or keep renting them. I'll probably keep renting them out, but it's nice to think back to 2010 when I was getting amazing $25k houses that people on here were saying were terrible investments. I quit my job in August thanks to these properties. Most have now paid for themselves. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Arlington, VA · Member since 2012 · 300 posts · 277 votes
    10y

    @Ben Stout Financial Freedom!

    Now that my husband (who was just as worried about this niche and investment class as I was), we both can ONLY do this investment. Like you discovered; At the end of the day, generalizing about this property class (like many do), is the reason so many gems exist, really. So, it works for us and those willing to have an open discussion/dialogue about it.

  • Real Estate Investor · Milford, NE · Member since 2011 · 201 posts · 140 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Bill Gulley:

    Well, not being a stickler but we now have 3 topics being discussed, actually 4. I try to keep my comments on topic because I don't care to comment where the exposure of what I might post will be limited to those currently involved with a thread. People do search for topics and I doubt anyone looking for information on tics, syndications, Cali prices and economics or notes will be selecting a thread title about Sub 30K properties!

    Matt, the appreciation rate may top off, the velocity of money, the time to recover the money increases the IRR as the return is measured over time.

    When "investors" post buying a 25K putting 20K in it then saying the comp is 90 or 120K, I'd say the lack good valuation skills in most all cases, if the buy was actually at market value.

    Ben, I had dirt, lots of dirt, I went to paper because it is much more profitable than dirt. As to the return on an investment, the very best deal ever lied about on BP as to a property transaction can't come close to compete with the return of a good note, purchased with a decent discount and then refinanced in 30 or 45 days receiving the unpaid note balance, in fact, to compute the IRR you have to move decimal places over for my calculator to display the return. You'll "smoke" your calculator! There is no contest! As with anything in reality of business, higher returns have higher barriers of entry to that market, education, capital, market influences, physical and regulatory limitations all effect entering into some market. :)

         Bill......

                         Would you mind expanding on the particulars of that last paragraph??

  • Real Estate Investor · Milford, NE · Member since 2011 · 201 posts · 140 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Ben Stout:

    @Lisa Phillips The most fortunate/unfortunate part of all of this for me has been that all my sub30k have doubled in value. I either have to sell them now and find new places for the  money, or keep renting them. I'll probably keep renting them out, but it's nice to think back to 2010 when I was getting amazing $25k houses that people on here were saying were terrible investments. I quit my job in August thanks to these properties. Most have now paid for themselves. 

     Nice.........I feel the same way as you, not everyone has the same goals in this game. 

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    10y

    Buy a note that has a balance owing of 85K for 50K, in 20 days refinance the note with the borrower, you make 35K (plus points on the new loan). 35 profit in 20 days on a 50K investment. What is the annualized % return? Now you have 85K, buy 2 more notes and repeat. This was my situation owning a mortgage company, if you can't underwrite the loan and refinance the notes you buy, you may not get the same results. Never had to leave my office, why would I deal in dirt, paper is much cleaner? ;))    

  • Contractor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 137 posts · 44 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Bill Gulley:

    Buy a note that has a balance owing of 85K for 50K, in 20 days refinance the note with the borrower, you make 35K (plus points on the new loan). 35 profit in 20 days on a 50K investment. What is the annualized % return? Now you have 85K, buy 2 more notes and repeat. This was my situation owning a mortgage company, if you can't underwrite the loan and refinance the notes you buy, you may not get the same results. Never had to leave my office, why would I deal in dirt, paper is much cleaner? ;))    

     Bill - I can tell you the reason I  would deal in dirt is it makes more sense to me.  I can find properties that need some work, fix them up and within a few months I can sell that property to anyone, or just keep it and rent it out.  What you're talking about definitely sounds appealing but lots of questions and unknowns.  Do you find deals like this all the time?  (I can find tons of real estate deals I like.  I own 6 rental units now and am working on #7).   Do you pay cash on the front end?  If you are refinancing with the same borrower, obviously that is up to them if they want to do that so you would need to offer some sort of incentive or rates would had to have gone down.  I also assume that the collateral on these deals is the property so you would need to analyze each note and property carefully.  I mean the balance owing could be $85k but maybe the property is only worth $50k so in that case not much of a deal.    There is a guy on here named Kevin who does lots of note deals.  His don't seem as juicy as yours but they do seem interesting.   From what I know he seems to be targeting a 10-15% annual return on these and I can do better than that on my deals.  And btw - my first property I bought in Philly - I paid $44k cash for it.  It appraised for $60k. I rented it out for $795 then refinanced it, getting back $44,000 in cash.  The mortgage on it is  $250.    So for a cash outlay of $0, I make an annual return, after all expenses of $350-$400/month.  What's the return on that?  Not huge money but not bad, especially since this area is on the rise.    So with my properties, if they cash flow over time I also get capital appreciation - do you get the same on those notes?    Again - it sounds appealing but complicated and I like things simple.  Maybe at some point I will consider it thought if I'm convinced :)

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    10y

    @Troy Whitney

    Everyone needs to first understand clearly what I was saying in speaking for myself.

    Not to toot my horn or pat myself on the back, but my skill set, knowledge, education and experience probably goes above and beyond our average investor, not bragging, please, it's simply unfair to compare. 

    What I did is not easily replicated by anyone now because of mortgage brokerage laws changing, so I was in a lucky time and place. Many notes were sent to me by the State of Missouri for asset determinations and I had the full blessing of the State to act for myself in purchasing notes. I doubt anyone in the country, much less on BP is in that position, it was very unique. You'd also have to have a sevicing company and a mortgage company originating new loans. 

    So, you can see, it's not a fair comparison to someone starting out in notes.While much of what I was doing can be duplicated, we can't duplicate that entire system. 

    What I was saying is that I'd rather deal in paper than dirt, not that dirt is not a good avenue to take. I certainly did that as well! However, I do think setting up the right frame work for note investing would or could be quicker and more profitable in the long run than rehabbing houses. But, you need to take advantage of the opportunities that exist for you, not try to replicate what others may do. Good luck at what you do, keep doing it and do it well! :)

  • Madison Heights, MI · Member since 2014 · 471 posts · 132 votes
    10y

    I suppose it depends on what city you buy in. I won't buy a property in a high-crime area at any price. I actually focus on buying sub-20k homes. I guess you could say I am a "bottom feeder". At this price, I am usually buying the lowest priced homes in town. I have actually found that there is a lot of competition for homes in this price range, while higher-priced homes sit on the market for a while. In certain cities, you need to make an all cash offer on the home the first day of the listing to get it. The key is to look at multiple homes and cherry-pick the best ones of the same price range. Having said this, there aren't any deals I'm interested in at the moment (on the MLS)..

  • Contractor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 137 posts · 44 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Bill Gulley:

    @Troy Whitney

    Everyone needs to first understand clearly what I was saying in speaking for myself.

    Not to toot my horn or pat myself on the back, but my skill set, knowledge, education and experience probably goes above and beyond our average investor, not bragging, please, it's simply unfair to compare. 

    What I did is not easily replicated by anyone now because of mortgage brokerage laws changing, so I was in a lucky time and place. Many notes were sent to me by the State of Missouri for asset determinations and I had the full blessing of the State to act for myself in purchasing notes. I doubt anyone in the country, much less on BP is in that position, it was very unique. You'd also have to have a sevicing company and a mortgage company originating new loans. 

    So, you can see, it's not a fair comparison to someone starting out in notes.While much of what I was doing can be duplicated, we can't duplicate that entire system. 

    What I was saying is that I'd rather deal in paper than dirt, not that dirt is not a good avenue to take. I certainly did that as well! However, I do think setting up the right frame work for note investing would or could be quicker and more profitable in the long run than rehabbing houses. But, you need to take advantage of the opportunities that exist for you, not try to replicate what others may do. Good luck at what you do, keep doing it and do it well! :)

     Bill - I appreciate your response, so thank you.  You helped make my point.  I think people with highly specialized knowledge or circumstances can do amazing things.  Someone else might find a particular piece of land, buy it and plat it out to build 50 townhouses or a shopping mall, and turn a $100,000 investment into $1,000,000 or more.  I don't have the skillset nor the inclination to do that right now.   I like to find simple ways to make high "alpha" money, which is what I'm doing.  My third property I bought in Philly took 9 months to rehab and flunked 4  Section 8 inspections, but we then passed, and I just got word that I'm approved for $2,100/month in rent, 2 year contract.  That's on a total investment of $80,000.  The next one is a duplex I bought for $61,000, and it needs $65,000 in work, but when finished it should rent for $2,000 easily.  Not as good as your returns, but if that's something I can do over and over, I'll take it over a lot of other options.  My plan is to load up on as many heavy cash-flow properties as possible.  This is a system that works for me and I know how to do it.  I now have access to capital and soon with enough cash flow, I'll be able to do what I'm doing many times per year and want to buy a LOT of properties.  Over time that stream of cash will be quite large.  And I'll have people in place to manage the problems that come up while I collect the checks.   My strategy is a lot of work up front, but I love it so it's all good.   

    All that said - I respect people like you that can specialize in something really cool, albeit a little more complicated.  At some point I would like to learn about notes.  Maybe I'll come knocking on your door when I do.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.