How to find and get a land owner to sell

How to find and get a land owner to sell

Developer · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 24 posts · 12 votes

I've built aspec home in a development that I see as a gold mine with great returns. Homes are selling before the siding goes up, however the biggest hurdle is getting an empty lot. I have found dozens of nice, flat lots with privacy that fit my floorplans perfectly, the only catch is that most of them are not up for sale. I have pulled the public records on the lots and I see many are owned by trust accounts while half of them seem to owe some amount in back taxes. I want to contact the owners and offer cash with all closing fees and taxes paid for by me. I figure thatmost of these lots get overwhelming interest from agents but I would like to save the seller's their 6%+ in fees and offer a deal without RE agents involved, with a guaranteed closing under 5 days. I’m coming to the BP community for advice, some topics I’d like to discuss are;

-Does anyone have experience with these "cold call" purchase offers?

-How would you recommend approaching the land owners?

-Other than opening with "I am a private investor, NOT a real estate agent", what points would you recommend I make to get a deal done. 

0Reply
12 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor / Rehabber · Fort smith, AR · Member since 2014 · 178 posts · 30 votes
    10y

    I would find out where these people live ( use the tax records) and I would go door knocking but if they live out of state I would send them a nice letter telling them you would like to buy their lot and if that fails you can us some sites like spokeo and they will find a number for you.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Account Closed  contact me off line and I will give you the absolute best method to approach these folks I don't want to put it on BP as its a trade secret.. and I don't want 350k people knowing how I do it ... LOL

    I am a builder developer and I deal with this every day in uber hot markets so I know a little about it. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.