Investor · IN · Member since 2012 · 263 posts · 168 votes
Hello- Anyone on BP familiar with Tiny Houses in SWFL? I saw an episode on HGTV regarding a Tiny Home in Naples, but wanted more information regarding building codes, etc. It would be awesome to purchase a lot and then build a fixed tiny home there. Any feedback would be appreciated! I know HOAs in some communities have minimum sq ft requirements, but are there areas where there aren't any such requirements? I'd be interested in buying a vacant lot and then building. Closer to the beach, the better!
Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2008 · 469 posts · 32 votes
10y
ooh, cool subject. I'll be following it. Do we really need 5-700sf/ person? I find it wasteful. I almost bought a cute 50k 1/1 in Lehigh acres but it was in Lehigh acres lol. How much does it cost to build a "tiny home"? I would love to build and sell them but got would you "sell" one/any? Who knows, maybe it could be an undiscovered market. Like I didn't know I wanted a fat juicy Carl's Jr burger dripping down my face and shirt til I saw the billboard(years ago). Could ya build two 1/1's on single lot? I'd like to try, or watch someone else at first.
Naples, FL · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 3 votes
10y
Naples Daily News featured a tiny house in Bonita Springs back in December. If the link below doesn't work you'll need to copy & paste into your browser.
Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2008 · 469 posts · 32 votes
10y
ooh, cool subject. I'll be following it. Do we really need 5-700sf/ person? I find it wasteful. I almost bought a cute 50k 1/1 in Lehigh acres but it was in Lehigh acres lol. How much does it cost to build a "tiny home"? I would love to build and sell them but got would you "sell" one/any? Who knows, maybe it could be an undiscovered market. Like I didn't know I wanted a fat juicy Carl's Jr burger dripping down my face and shirt til I saw the billboard(years ago). Could ya build two 1/1's on single lot? I'd like to try, or watch someone else at first.
Investor · IN · Member since 2012 · 263 posts · 168 votes
10y
@David Foster- I saw the ad and TV show featuring it being build in Naples by the airport. It had the garage on the main level with the living space above it. It was cool! I know the newer neighborhoods in Naples have HOAs that require minimum square footage, so they built theirs in a neighborhood without that HOA restriction. The city of Naples doesn't have a minimum sq ft requirement so they were able to get the permit and do it.
I think that it would be cool to build one and then rent out during high season. I'm currently on the hunt for land West of Tamiami Trail in either Naples, Estero, or Ft. Myers to try this out!
Realtor/Vacation Rental Manager · Naples, FL · Member since 2015 · 65 posts · 13 votes
10y
@Benjamin Cowles, I just wanted to chime in on whats wasterful in our area. The abundance of 3000-30,000 sqft homes that sit empty 9 months out of a year. Having my dinky 500-700 sqft in comparison to that seems like an episode of Tiny Homes of SWFL.
I sometimes ponder the minimalistic life, because I feel like there are lots of benefits. I wouldnt mind owning a tiny house or 2. Hell if we had more live-aboard friendly marinas that didn't cost an arm and a leg i'd be living on a boat, but the fees are more than a mortgage! I'm interested to see how this would work out in our area as well.
Real Estate Broker · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 323 votes
10y
A few thoughts.
On a price per Sq Ft basis these homes will "appear" expensive as they are certain costs that all homes pay, IE impact fees, ETC ETC
I think this product (if marketed right) would benefit the lower end of the blue collar retiree spectrum, as they are essentially the size of a smaller mobile home.