Business and Branding - How do backgrounds inform your investing?

Business and Branding - How do backgrounds inform your investing?

Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 1 vote

Does anybody else listen to Bigger Pocket podcasts on their morning drive and have to pull over to write down ideas? I’m pretty sure that there are a number of drivers out there that hate the little silver sedan that abruptly yanks over to the side of the road...Sometimes I forget to signal - if I have scared you, I am sincerely sorry.

It’s just that I have moments of brilliance (or so I think)… and I can’t afford to let them slip into the Bermuda Triangle that is the back of my head. Many a good ship has gone down there, never to be seen again.

One such swerving happened a few days ago as I was listening to BP Podcast 155, which featured Sharad Mehta exchanging jabs and jokes with Brandon and Josh. As I listened to Mr. Mehta’s journey into real estate investing, I realized that many investors on BP did, or do, something else as a day job.

Many of you are accomplished business people in other areas of expertise - so the natural question is, how do those careers help inform your real estate investing strategies?

I have been specifically toying with the concept of implementing a branding strategy for property rentals that would allow people to identify and connect with my properties on a different level than just finding them on a housing search site.

Has anyone out there worked with branding their properties (specifically with a certain aesthetic, design feature, or actual signage)?

I would love to hear from anyone who has taken a similar approach or implemented other unconventional business strategies into their real estate investing.

As always, happy hunting!

0Reply
33 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Julie MarquezPro Member
    Investor · Skagit County, WA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 807 votes
    10y

    Interesting subject, and something I think about often. Though I think that old school real estate investors, my dad included, don't think about this "fu-fu" stuff and just go along doing their thing. On the other hand, I love branding and thinking about my company logo and color and typeface, but that's just something that interests me. Many businesses spend so much on family, cool looking marketing, but I have yet to see that in REI. In fact, Investor Carrot websites say that cluttered and busy looking websites gain better traffic in the "I buy houses" world.

    On my single family homes, I use all the name address signage. It is minimalist and cool modern looking. I want them to stand out a little bit. Other than that, each house is individual. Thought I'll use all the same standard products throughout, but that's just for simplicity on my part.

    What are you thinking of as far as branding?

  • Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 1 vote
    10y
    Hi Julie - 

    Thank you for this awesome reply. Like you I am a bit surprised that more directed branding (in order to gain recognition and build following/credibility) is not prevalent in REI.

    I was thinking of doing branding that would provide some context to the type of environment you'll find behind the door of a rental.

    For example, I was thinking of doing a TechHaus rental (3-4 bdr) in which I would cater to working professionals in the tech industry - with features such as whiteboard walls, connected home, and work stations. 

    The branding in particular would be done in the content that I produced to advertise the open rooms along with physical branding on the outside of each house (ie distinctive color accents and perhaps even an led sign). I would optimize these rentals for month-to-month (and longer) term rentals for professionals moving to the area or for those that want to do a work-live situation for a startup.

    I would love to know your thoughts and hear about any examples you know of that take a similar or related approach.

    Thanks again for the reply!

    - Sam Hager
    Julie Marquez

    Originally posted by @Julie Marquez:

    Interesting subject, and something I think about often. Though I think that old school real estate investors, my dad included, don't think about this "fu-fu" stuff and just go along doing their thing. On the other hand, I love branding and thinking about my company logo and color and typeface, but that's just something that interests me. Many businesses spend so much on family, cool looking marketing, but I have yet to see that in REI. In fact, Investor Carrot websites say that cluttered and busy looking websites gain better traffic in the "I buy houses" world.

    On my single family homes, I use all the name address signage. It is minimalist and cool modern looking. I want them to stand out a little bit. Other than that, each house is individual. Thought I'll use all the same standard products throughout, but that's just for simplicity on my part.

    What are you thinking of as far as branding?

  • Julie MarquezPro Member
    Investor · Skagit County, WA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 807 votes
    10y

    @Sam Hager Your branding ideas are for a very specific market, and are therefore limiting your rental pool. Thought it sounds like you are very familiar with who you are trying to cater to, but still, it's limiting. But maybe there really is a need for what you are offering. If so, then you have a market and hopefully can attract people at a premium. In the end, it's all about the numbers. If the extra LED sign, or paint, or white boards, or gadgets can produce the return you are looking for, then you have a winner. I think it's a very creative idea, though may require more focused marketing (and maybe more $$$ marketing) to find the renters. Month-to-month and corporate short term rentals could be a great market. Usually businesses can pay more, and want more. Maybe there are some people on this forum that have experience with corporate rentals. I love your creativity!

  • Lombard, IL · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Hi Sam! Interesting post. Lately, I've been thinking a lot about this too. In my day job, I'm in communications/PR and my background is as a journalist. And I've worked on several branding and corporate messaging projects. I'm trying to figure out how I can transfer these skills specifically to REI - at the moment, I just believe I'm too new at all this and when the right course/opportunity presents itself, I'll know. I like your ideas!

  • Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HAWAII (HI) · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    I don't really have a business. I like helping people make a portfolio of investments properties like I have. I am awkward introverted engineer so no special social skills here.

    You know the saying where a girl can sense a "desperate guy" a mile away? I think its the same thing about sensing people are trying to sell you or build a fake "relationship". So I think the take away is just help people and give free information... if they want to buy from you then they will, if they don't then the crap your selling just ininst that good. This is the modern way of marketing that works on folks ago <45-50 who have the internet/Reddit/BP as resources.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.