Rental Property Investor · Investor from New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 95 posts · 35 votes
Hello BP Friends -
Not sure where to post this, and looking for feedback. We are a couple of newbies ages 50 and 54, residing in NYC, and have been advised by an experienced investor (from BP) that we're too old to be getting into the game. He suggested that we take 500k in IRA money and roll it into a Roth IRA funded by notes (from his company). Next, completely divest ourselves from the stock market and invest the rest (about) 400K in various note funds, which return a minimum of 12%. Finally, keep $100k as cash reserves. He says this is the wisest thing to do because the returns are better than rentals, without any of the headaches. He says we're too far along in our timeline for buy and hold. Regarding any other strategies, he says for every "success story" on BP, there are 50 people you don't hear about who lost their shirts. Am I missing anything in this equation? All feedback greatly appreciated!
Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
9y
LOL. It's never too late...unless you don't start at all.
Let me put it another way. 2 years from now, if you're asking that same question, you should feel ashamed.
Let me repeat. It is never too late...unless you never start.
You are most definitely not to old for buy and hold. I can show you where you can start getting cash flow in less than a month, and never have to spend your money...you will be using it though...many, many times.
It doesn't take that long to get into it and there are so many different ways to do it, you just follow the one(s) that work for you. Oh, and age has nothing to do with "losing your shirt". Whether you are 54 or 24, if you you lost your shirt, you would still need to get dressed again.
NYC, NY · Member since 2016 · 617 posts · 456 votes
9y
This was a great thread. Thanks, Ms. Barber.
There are other note and note fund guys on BP. No harm in consulting with one or two more.
I happen to agree that all the eggs in the basket, at our age, is just as scary a proposition as another market correction/collapse as we near retirement. As a relative newbie, I think diversification is still key.
Also, did you mean to move into an SDIRA or a SDRoth? Move to a SDRoth if you're able to pay the taxes on the IRA conversion then all interest would be tax free. Move to SDIRA to invest in RE notes, frnds, crowdfunding, private lending, etc. Taxes paid upon distribution.
BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
9y
@Daphne Barber , I'm personally offended that anyone would tell anyone else on this site that they are too old. I'm not that far from you agewise. You'll be fine. As @Joe Villeneuve said, you just have to start, age doesn't matter. I'm really happy to see everyone chiming in here with the encouragement - that's what BiggerPockets is all about.
Do what makes you comfortable, and be cautious of guaranteed returns or people saying "My way is the only way." There are 12,000 ways (and counting) to make money in real estate. Yes, notes can be lucrative, but so can all the other ways - if you do it right. You can lose your shirt in notes just as easily as any other method. It most certainly is not guaranteed.
And you didn't need to start years ago in order to make money.
Beautifully said Mindy. Let me add, if I may, that I have both of you trumped...I'm older than both of you. I can say that even though I may have started in REI when I was much younger, I could also say that I've restarted a number of times based on using a number of different starting points. This is based on each starting point having its own self sustaining system. When I'm teaching this, I'm teaching it to many "elders" highly experienced people looking to get started. They all have the same M.O. (or parts of), from little or no Money, knowledge, experience (in REI), etc... They also all lack one very important thing...none of them can tell time.
It tell them all the same 2 things:
"There's no greater time than the present, and there's no greater present than time"
so remember,
"The things that come to those who wait, are the things that are left behind, by those that got there first"
Rental Property Investor · Investor from New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 95 posts · 35 votes
9y
@Anish Tolia Sharks circling - yes that's what it started to feel like Lol! Yes the Bernie Madoff situation crossed my mind, but again the individual is a highly esteemed member of BP and hasn't lost anyone money in the 40 years he's been in business. I wasn't able to uncover anything negative about him. But yeah - point taken. Thanks. You really want to know the answer to your last question? I was told because only 5% of the investing public know about notes, Lol.
Investor · Keller, TX · Member since 2015 · 81 posts · 22 votes
9y
too old. I hope not! I am in my 50's and I am actively acquiring rentals. I don't have as much capital as you so I am not a "SEC preferred" client. Anything I want to passively invest in, like notes, all I get is 5-8 % max offering. Once you are over that SEC hurdle then it appears you get the 12% passive returns.
If I had that capital I would find a few multi family homes in and around NY/Jersey. Property prices may slow down but inflation is eating away at America's core right now and when you retire in 15 yrs or so, then I would consider notes. At worst you will only have moderate gains but there is no more land being made in your neck of the woods and property is generally inflation proof.
Also I don't like the advice of pulling everything out of the stock market and the fact it is 'his' product. You need balance and with your capital you could remain in the stock market, add a few notes as well as a property or two. Always suspicious of people quick to use OPM by advising 'Send it all my way' but keep a little incase I fail .-. um no. My thoughts on this matter to be taken with a pinch of salt because what's good for you....
Rental Property Investor · Investor from New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 95 posts · 35 votes
9y
@Karen O. Thanks Karen - please call me Daphne :) I see you're from NYC too. What an awesome and amazing group of folks here on BP - I love it! Agreed - no harm in consulting a few more investors. As @Account Closed said, it felt like the sharks were circling...
The investor suggested setting up a SDIRA (funded by notes - which doesn't seem like a bad idea) and also setting up a SDRoth, and moving the money to the Roth over a period of 5 years so as not to take a big tax hit.
Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
9y
Daphne Barber do you have kids?
If you do your research and find a good multifamily investor you could get the cashflow and part of the appreciation also. Small residential properties aren't the only way to go and with larger deals you can bring in professional property management.
Rental Property Investor · Investor from New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 95 posts · 35 votes
9y
@Mindy Jensen I'm so blown away by the helpfulness and generosity of the BP community - that's the biggest take away for me, besides all the great advise and encouragement. I'm glad I asked here first before taking that leap - yikes! I gather from all the great responses that this subject may have come up before. But as I've said, this investor has 40 years of experience and is a highly respected member of BP - he's done a couple podcasts, etc. I've never come across anything negative about him. So given how great this community is, it was easy to believe him.
In retrospect, I'm not even sure what happened was ethical. I replied to a post Jeff Brown made, asking for clarification of his post. Next thing I know, someone emails me to set up a "conversation". During this "conversation" a lot of personal financial information was obtained. Then at the end came the pitch for the note investing - how it's in our best interest because a better return without the headaches, too many candles on our birthday cakes, etc. So you could say his post was actually trolling for business.
Rental Property Investor · Phila, PA · Member since 2015 · 276 posts · 111 votes
9y
@Daphne Barber - I'm going to take a different approach. We were in a similar situation with a breadwinner job loss in 2009. We lived off our savings (remember you can't withdraw retirement money before 59.5,other than some Roth monies). We are now in our mid/60s. Seek the advise of an independent professional financial planner (for a fee). Let them give you realistic options for your specific situation.
I also hope to buy something more in real estate at my age. Age is just a number.
Rental Property Investor · Investor from New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 95 posts · 35 votes
9y
@Gary Baker thanks for your thoughts! Looking at multi families in NJ (and even Philly) was exactly what we were planning on doing before I had that "conversation", which as I said to @Mindy Jensen might have been unethical - using BP to pitch prospective clients.
Texas is a great market - wish you all the best as well :)
Rental Property Investor · Investor from New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 95 posts · 35 votes
9y
@Joe Villeneuve Love that saying! Please see my reply to @Mindy Jensen - in retrospect what this highly esteemed member of BP did may have been unethical - trolling BP for potential clients.
Rental Property Investor · Investor from New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 95 posts · 35 votes
9y
@Jordan Moorhead Thanks for the reply! Yes - and what you're saying is exactly along the lines I was thinking till I had that "conversation" with the notes investor on here. BP Rocks.
Rental Property Investor · Investor from New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 95 posts · 35 votes
9y
@Mags S. Sage advise - thank you much! Actually I have the name of a fee only planner from a friend, and I was planning on consulting him. Thanks for the reminder. I think it's awesome you're "still in the game". Best wishes in your investments. BP Rocks.
Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
9y
I am 55 and my husband is 63. We started last buying last August. We are up to 21 units now. We've renovated 7 of the 21 units in the last year and we do a significant part of the work ourselves. By the end of next year we expect to meet all of our income needs from cash flow . It wasn't too late for us.
Investor · Union, NJ · Member since 2011 · 838 posts · 295 votes
9y
Hi Daphne,
As most have said, 50 is not "too late" to start investing in Real Estate long as you buy right and know your market there shouldn't be an age limit put on this!
12% + is definitely attainable on multi families - say 2 - 4 family properties. Even single families can generate this return but it may be a bit more challenging but not impossible if you do your due diligence, and again buy right....
Another option is Condos which typically give you less headaches to worry about as the HOA is responsible for all exterior and usually the mechanicals......
I have a portfolio of single & multi families as well as Condos here in NJ that I self manage. I Also have a stock portfolio of securities that generate a nice amount of increasing dividends. So between those two streams of growing income along with what ever I get from Social Security I should hopefully have enough passive income to live fairly comfortable at retirement....
Notes and Tax lien investing have always ben on my to do list to explore investing in but it just hasn't happened yet. I am sure it can be a good vehicle for passive income and I need to learn a bit more about them before investing money here.
Whatever you do just make sure you are comfortable with your choices. Total transparency is extremely important.
Investor · Union, NJ · Member since 2011 · 838 posts · 295 votes
9y
One more thought.... I reread your original post and see that you are being advised to move your Traditional IRA into a Roth to be used for notes... I cannot comment on if this will generate income for you but I do want to point out that this is a taxable event and you will be taxed on the conversion...
I believe and don't quote me the amount converted is added to your yearly income and taxed that way. This can also raise your tax bracket for that specific year....
Whomever suggested this move should have at LEAST brought this up to you and made you aware as again this is definitely a taxable event with tax consequences and potentially could cost you a good chunk of change!
Maybe a CPA could chime in..
I work for a accounting firm in NYC but am a Sys Admin not an accountant!! :) I am definitely not a tax expert but working for an accounting firm I can get answers and learn pretty quickly when it comes to Real Estate and how it impacts taxes Etc...
Rental Property Investor · Investor from New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 95 posts · 35 votes
9y
@Chris Masons Hi Chris and thanks for all the suggestions. I see you are in Union we're practically neighbors - I used to live in Bergen and Hudson counties. Your area would be a good place for us to invest :)
Regarding the IRA conversion to Roth tax issue, yes this was brought up. He suggested setting up a Roth and funding it over a period of 5 years so as not to take a big tax hit. Thanks again for pointing it out though. Best wishes with your investments in NJ!
Rental Property Investor · Investor from New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 95 posts · 35 votes
9y
@Steve Vaughan Hi Steve - thanks for the welcome and the feedback - appreciated. Yes point taken about one trick pony Lol good analogy. I should probably know better that a supposed expert may just be another voice on the interwebs....