Does Junk Mail Work?

3 Replies

I have seen more than 100 posts asking questions about how to do mass mailings.  Often people seem to think it is all about picking the right color, right day of the week, right size, right postage, right nickname, right legal entity, right audience.

In the past 30 years the individual investors I know have bought thousands of properties.  None of them have found more than one or two from mass mailings.

Has anyone here personally had continuing success with sending mass mailers?

Originally posted by @Account Closed :

I have seen more than 100 posts asking questions about how to do mass mailings.  Often people seem to think it is all about picking the right color, right day of the week, right size, right postage, right nickname, right legal entity, right audience.

In the past 30 years the individual investors I know have bought thousands of properties.  None of them have found more than one or two from mass mailings.

Has anyone here personally had continuing success with sending mass mailers?

I usually get a deal for each 500 I send out, but in this market the number has dropped to about 1 in 1,000 mailers. I make on average about $40,000 per deal since I buy using subject to and wraps and sell to tenant buyers. I don't do any rehab. I figure it costs me about 1$ per mailer including stamp and it takes about 8 hours to have someone assemble the mailer. I spend about 4 hours on the list which is very refined by zip code. I hear others have good response sending them in bulk randomly but they probably send out more than I do. One guy posted that he spent about $2,000 in mailings per deal. I don't know what he was sending out or to whom.

Account Closed   That sounds like a great market for mailers.  In DFW "experts" often say you will have to send six mailers to the same people to get any responses.

Originally posted by @Account Closed   That sounds like a great market for mailers.  In DFW "experts" often say you will have to send six mailers to the same people to get any responses.

I tried doing things the way the "experts" said and had professional postcards designed and printed and sent out 5,000. Nothing, Nada, zero. I did get one phone call though, the guy wanted to know how I got his address. Lol.

I had to switch to letters to get any response. Some people say they do well with postcards, after sending 6 or 7 times . . . to the same address. 

I send once to each address. I get calls 3 months, 4 months, 6 months later from people who held onto my letter. Go figure. I guess it is the back of their minds, they just aren't ready at the time I sent the letter. If you plan on being at this for a long time, and consistently mail, it pans out. I've been doing mailings for 20 years.