Investor 路 Princeton, IN 路 Member since 2017 路 109 posts 路 54 votes
Hello BP! I am not sure in which category to put this post. I hired a virtual assistant after rereading the four hour workweek. At my W-2 job I make over 6 figures a year so I figured it would be a great use of my time to have my VA help me locate off market properties. I think I would like his team to look for tax delinquent properties.
Should I have him go through Google Street View and "drive" down the streets of my town and then look the properties up on our Assessor's page to see if the properties are delinquent?
I realize that I could just buy a list, but I am already paying for the assistant and don't want to get rid of him. I would like to transition him into doing more real estate type activities for me.
Rental Property Investor 路 Montgomery, AL 路 Member since 2017 路 277 posts 路 221 votes
7y
@Dalton Dellinger I agree with @Account Closed. We have mailed and cold called delinquent tax property owners in the past and not had the best results. I would focus on absentee long term owners in rental heavy (C Class) areas. These are the owners we have sourced the vast majority of our deals from.
Rental Property Investor 路 Montgomery, AL 路 Member since 2017 路 277 posts 路 221 votes
7y
@Dalton Dellinger For all of the counties here in Kentucky each of the local county clerk's office posts the list of tax delinquent properties each year. I would recommend calling your local county clerk's office to see if there is a public records request for which you could get a list of the tax delinquent properties in your county. Would also ask for list of properties with active code violations.
Investor 路 Princeton, IN 路 Member since 2017 路 109 posts 路 54 votes
7y
@Joseph Back thanks for the response! I called my county clerk and they only post the list a couple of months before the tax sale. They will not sell me a current list. By the time they make it to the tax sale list, it is normally too late.
Rental Property Investor 路 Sacramento, CA 路 Member since 2015 路 1k+ posts 路 893 votes
7y
@Dalton Dellinger don't have them street view, please please pretty please! Have them go to the treasurer's site or tax sale site and scrub that first! Every county is a bit different as far as how they organize that information, so do some digging first, build an efficient process, and get the most out of your VA.
Also, if you want to skip the whole VA thing you can just make a very concentrated little mailing list that is likely to have motivated sellers in it (absentee, 15+ years owned, 100% equity, C to B- neighborhoods, etc...) and beat your competition by sending them mail more frequently (every 3 weeks) use a better mailpiece (handwritten letter), and throw in voicemail drops and IP marketing to the owners the same week that you expect mail to land every time.
Rental Property Investor 路 Montgomery, AL 路 Member since 2017 路 277 posts 路 221 votes
7y
@Dalton Dellinger I agree with @Account Closed. We have mailed and cold called delinquent tax property owners in the past and not had the best results. I would focus on absentee long term owners in rental heavy (C Class) areas. These are the owners we have sourced the vast majority of our deals from.
Rental Property Investor 路 Sacramento, CA 路 Member since 2015 路 1k+ posts 路 893 votes
7y
@Joseph Back C areas for sure! Nice neighborhoods tend to have far less distress, and owners that are more up to date on the market value of their property/less likely to underestimate it.