Wholesaler · Bay Shore, NY · Member since 2009 · 359 posts · 199 votes
13y
I would go to ussearch.com and run a instant people search for $2.50 (they have a two for one special going now.)
That report gives you a relatives and associates summary.
You will have to run another instant people search to get a phone number for those relatives or associates but at least you will have an idea of who could be a possible heir how to get in touch with them.
Lender · Greater LA/Orange County area, CA · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
13y
Michael Garson, you probably don't want to find the decedent. They've probably been dead a long time and... Info only would be nice, though.
Skip tracing heirs, contingent relatives, friends, associates, et al, is another thing. There are skip tracing services on the internet galore as well as P.I.'s. Old obits can offer good clues, too.
Also consider subscribing to Ancestry.com. I once had a deal with a reverse mortgage going to trustee sale in a matter of hours. Went to Ancestry.com and some family member had already traced the lineage back to the late 1600's. I printed out the gen chart, handed the keir a copy and looked like I spent months working on his case!
Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2013 · 21 posts · 2 votes
13y
If I do locate them, what is the best way to approach? The properite I'm targeting have been vacant a long time, but whomever is paying their taxes at least is doing that, they must have at least a minimal interest in them.
One approach is generic:
I'd like to buy your house, I know taxes are going up (they might double in Philly), let me take it off your hands, I'm an investor , etc...
The other approach I'm not sure if good or bad is:
Hi, I really like your father's house, I'd like to buy it and fix it up for myself, I've been looking for something like this.
What I don't know is appealing to their sense of someone nice will be living in their Paren't/Grandparents house, or I am just buying it to make money. Which typically will get me a better deal?
Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
13y
Originally posted by Michael Garson:
If I do locate them, what is the best way to approach? The properite I'm targeting have been vacant a long time, but whomever is paying their taxes at least is doing that, they must have at least a minimal interest in them.
One approach is generic:
I'd like to buy your house, I know taxes are going up (they might double in Philly), let me take it off your hands, I'm an investor , etc...
The other approach I'm not sure if good or bad is:
Hi, I really like your father's house, I'd like to buy it and fix it up for myself, I've been looking for something like this.
What I don't know is appealing to their sense of someone nice will be living in their Paren't/Grandparents house, or I am just buying it to make money. Which typically will get me a better deal?
Don't assume anything. Lots of heirs pay the property taxes because they think it's the law. Some don't have the money or understanding how to start a probate action (if that's what's necessary).
Do you know for certain the owners are deceased? Have you checked the SS death index? If they are deceased, you can find out where they died and get a copy of the death cert. An an informant will be listed and they will often be relatives or someone who was close to the decedent.
Don't worry about being appealing to an heir. You want to buy the property. Period. Find out the story first.
Wholesaler · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 401 votes
13y
Rick
I like your question, I use it myself because too many investors will ask would you consider or some such question and change the ideas that the seller already had which if left untouched may have been the expressway to a deal and now you have given him something to think about and now he has another thing to mull over and he starts to wonder about what other options exist.
Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 292 posts · 81 votes
13y
Michael, another thing that I've found helpful with vacant houses, with or without deceased owners, is asking the neighbors some very generic questions about the owner/house. You may be surprised at just how much information about the owner, relatives, and house they'll volunteer!
Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 292 posts · 81 votes
13y
K. Marie Poe I appreciate your response on this topic, as well as an earlier, similar thread. It was particularly useful information, and has probably saved me a significant amount of time.
I'd considered trying to track down the heirs to a property heading towards tax deed foreclosure; given the low worth of the property, it seems to be a better use of my time looking at it again when it makes it to the sheriff's sale.
Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
13y
Originally posted by Ben Skove:
K. Marie Poe I appreciate your response on this topic, as well as an earlier, similar thread. It was particularly useful information, and has probably saved me a significant amount of time.
I'd considered trying to track down the heirs to a property heading towards tax deed foreclosure; given the low worth of the property, it seems to be a better use of my time looking at it again when it makes it to the sheriff's sale.
Value really matters. Tracking down heirs is only the first step. If a property is still in the name of the decedent, you are many steps (and dollars) away from getting title. Tax sale or foreclosure is sometimes the best way to solve this particular title issue. Not the best way to get a property, as the auction environment can kill a deal. But dealing with probate and title issues costs money most of the time, so be sure to make it worth your while.
Involved In Real Estate · New Britain, CT · Member since 2013 · 23 posts · 0 votes
13y
I would send a letter directly to the property and explain that you noticed the property has been vacant for some time and you are interested in purchasing it. There's a chance the person paying the taxes picks up the mail. Maybe the estate is under the probate process.
Best of Luck,
Orest