GENERATIONAL WEALTH: Do you worry about your kids?

GENERATIONAL WEALTH: Do you worry about your kids?

Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes

Over the last decade or so, my wife and I have put together a nice little rental portfolio, we've really grown as landlords and property managers, and we have a nice little life that's just getting nicer. Net rental income has almost completely replaced what we used to make in our jobs. We can see the finish line, when we call it quits, sell and put out money into more stable assets, retire to a nice sunny place far from Pittsburgh, and enjoy our lives.

Our one regret is that we didn't have children. It just wasn't in the cards for us. In the beginning, we didn't really know what we were missing, but later, as the assets started to grow in place, we both realized that if we did have children, and we left them what we had, we would more or less be inviting destruction and misery on their heads in most cases. Raising kids when rich is a hard, thankless job, and most rich parents fail miserably at it. I can only imagine in stark terror the mistakes I would have made as a young man if I had had the money to make them.

For those of you who have met with some success and have children, what's the end plan? I know there are some guys here who stay up nights figuring out how to pass generational wealth to their children successfully, looking at you, @Steve Vaughan.

What are the rest of you doing?

15Reply
430 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
2y

Ha @Jim K.. Nobody is supposed to know I stay up nights thinking about generational wealth.😎  

Interesting enough, my wife and I just did some basic estate planning for the first time recently.    

So our 2 young adults (now) grew up around landlording and have been members of our main commercial apts LLC since they were babes. 2%. We used to joke that 50-cent's got nothing on their 2%. They'd rap while they picked up the parking lots. Some things you just do as owners.

Yard work, cleaning, painting, mowing, etc though were paid.  They always knew where a dollar came from and they grew with us. 

I never use the term 'rich' and honestly don't feel we are.  We have had freedom from day jobs for a long time, but mostly because we have so few payments.  They don't have payments either and when their car or motorbike needs something,  their first action is to get out their own tools and pull up a YT video.  

So I think the answer to prevent large sums from wrecking kids is that they are grounded. They have worked for money and appreciate it. They understand money comes in 3 forms- labor, business equity/LLC membership and investment earnings.

One fuels the other, which fuels the other- but the source and foundation is work. 

We also enjoy playing 401 Uncle.  We seed Roths for our motivated nieces and nephews and plan to establish college and 1st home purchase funds for our future grandkids and grand nieces and nephews.   Won't be such a 'burden' on our kids. 

Another great source would be @Arlen Chou.  I know of him especially on other platforms and his young adult kids are actively buying RE and DiYing like you and I do so much. If anyone can mention him, he would be an awesome resource.  

I'll also mention @Jerry W. @Bjorn Ahlblad  @Scott Price. and @Bill F.. @JD Martin  as excellent candidates for great kids and wealth advice👍

See this reply in the discussion

111 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jeremiah Dunakin:
    Quote from @Theresa Harris:

    I'd also add that I think generational wealth is about more than money-it is the values you teach others that matters the most.


     This a 100%. We as a society have become obsessed with the word generational wealth. It’s not the wealth but the culture and mentality that it encompasses that I don’t agree with. I am not saying I am a good parent I struggle and have ups and downs just like every parent that has ever lived. That said there are some steadfast profitable things that all kids can be taught and cultivated regardless of any excuse I mean social or economical challenges that they face. 

    The lessons you teach them far outweigh any buisness we give them. Work hard, take accountability, accept coaching, do the best job job you can regardless of whose watching, invest in yourself with knowledge and self worth, spend less than you make, stay out of bad debt, keep your hands with calluses, give cheerfully both time and money, count your blessing being born in America, be the person who will take the risk and don’t be ashamed whether you strike out  or most definitely hit a home run.many more principles but values trump degrees any day of week 


     Thing is this....kind like difficult to explain, but thing like "Work hard, take accountability, accept coaching, do the best job job you can regardless of whose watching, invest in yourself with knowledge and self worth, spend less than you make, stay out of bad debt, keep your hands with calluses" .... should be there/exist by default.

    I meant those are the the traits that's very common these days especially in certain society, 99% people is supporting and building  that aspect of life.

    Thing is... in 2024, just "work hard" alone is not enough, these new generation still need access to generational wealth so they can live better than previous generation. 

    The new generation in 2020 they are facing with way more higher inflation, debasing of dollar and the downgrade quality of living even if they are making the same money and work harder. They live in the world where American no longer control the world.

  • Member since 2022 · 186 posts · 192 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @Jeremiah Dunakin:
    Quote from @Theresa Harris:

    I'd also add that I think generational wealth is about more than money-it is the values you teach others that matters the most.


     This a 100%. We as a society have become obsessed with the word generational wealth. It’s not the wealth but the culture and mentality that it encompasses that I don’t agree with. I am not saying I am a good parent I struggle and have ups and downs just like every parent that has ever lived. That said there are some steadfast profitable things that all kids can be taught and cultivated regardless of any excuse I mean social or economical challenges that they face. 

    The lessons you teach them far outweigh any buisness we give them. Work hard, take accountability, accept coaching, do the best job job you can regardless of whose watching, invest in yourself with knowledge and self worth, spend less than you make, stay out of bad debt, keep your hands with calluses, give cheerfully both time and money, count your blessing being born in America, be the person who will take the risk and don’t be ashamed whether you strike out  or most definitely hit a home run.many more principles but values trump degrees any day of week 


     Thing is this....kind like difficult to explain, but thing like "Work hard, take accountability, accept coaching, do the best job job you can regardless of whose watching, invest in yourself with knowledge and self worth, spend less than you make, stay out of bad debt, keep your hands with calluses" .... should be there/exist by default.

    I meant those are the the traits that's very common these days especially in certain society, 99% people is supporting and building  that aspect of life.

    Thing is... in 2024, just "work hard" alone is not enough, these new generation still need access to generational wealth so they can live better than previous generation. 

    The new generation in 2020 they are facing with way more higher inflation, debasing of dollar and the downgrade quality of living even if they are making the same money and work harder. They live in the world where American no longer control the worl
    we  are gonna have to agree to disagree, I came from not one aspect of wealth. I started working in a factory at 18 worked my butt off and made something of myself. I work with a couple young guys have did the same thing. They didn’t go on trips and buy new trucks or drink fancy coffee. These guys worked 84-100 every week for awhile saved a bunch of money (while still paying bills) bought some property and now in thier mid 20s the value of the real estate is 1.5x what they payed for it. They are loaded at 25/26 years old. They sacrificed, they didn’t blame the president, the parents, the school system, or anything else. They packed a big lunch and got after it. No trips, no new cars,no new clothes. Now these guys drive brand new trucks and take trips whenever and wherever they want. Mind you these are high school factory workers not college educated trust fund babies. It’s an attainable achievement it’s just a bit harder now. Working 25 hours at the coffee shop ain’t gonna cut it

  • Denis PonderPro Member
    New to Real Estate · Yuma, AZ · Member since 2023 · 280 posts · 246 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jim K.:
    Quote from @Denis Ponder:

    There are people from all walks of life that turn out all kids of different ways.  As @Chris Seveney said, it's all in how the kids are raised.  Love them, discipline them, put expectations on them, and follow through when consequences are necessary.  Make them work for things and don't knock down obstacles they face, just help them learn how to attack them.

    I plan to leave everything to my kids (18 & 20 y/o) and they know it; we talk about the importance of properly managing what you have so the people behind you have better chances and better opportunities.  We teach them about being good stewards of what God has blessed us with and the importance of having plans and doing things with intention.


     Yes, Denis, this is what I want to know more about. What are the specific techniques and mechanisms you're using to teach your children?

    My kids are older now, 18 & 19, so it's a bit different.  It all happens before they are 5 years old if you want to lay a foundation you can build on.  Love and discipline are the two most important aspects of raising good kids.  They have to know mom and dad love them and they have to gain a respect for authority, rules, and consequences.  How you administer that can vary.  We prefered to be strict in the beginning then relax as they got older.  Consistency is far more effective than severity of discipline.  If we told the kids not to do something, and they did, they were disciplined.  It doesn't take them very long to figure it out when it's consistent.  Inconsistency leads to confusion and both parties being overly emotional due to that.  When we were home, we spent time with them.  We played outside together, we played sports together, I took them to the gym and park with me, we watched appropriate movies together, we went places as a family, we played board games and card games, etc.

    As they get older, there are different things to teach them and the outcomes can be far more dangerous.  As they aged, I gave them time to have a conversation with me about their side of things so they could be heard.  They need that independence and to learn how to communicate their feelings; squelching it will drive a wedge between parents and children.  As they grow, they need more independence.  I have a few things around the house they need to take care of, the rest I don't fight about.  Kids will rebel, that's part of growing up.  If you keep everything too strict at home during this phase, they will rebel outside of the house.  That's where things get dangerous.  For example, I would tell them to clean their rooms but I didn't really care if they did, that was a place they could safely rebel.  They did homework without being asked, they set their alarm clocks, they got dressed and ready, I didn't get calls from their teachers about bad behaviors; all of that happens due to the foundations you set when they are younger.  If you do the early work, they are a blast as they get older.  They aren't perfect and I know that.  But by and large, they have taken the lessons we have taught them and embraced them.

    Also, as they get older, they need to be given responsibility so they can learn.  I want them to fail while they are still under my roof and I can help them out.  Maybe give them some pointers or tricks to help them be successful.

    Nothing is guaranteed.  However, much of life is about putting the odds in your favor.  That's how we approached it and that's what we taught them.

    Our oldest is in school to become a teacher and our youngest thinks he wants to do something in medicine.  Our kids thank us for how they were raised.  I haven't been perfect, I have regrets and things I would do differently now that I'm on the other side.  But, such is life.

    Kids need parents, not friends.  You can be friendly with your kids, but they need to know who is in charge and it needs to be addressed when they cross the line.

    Now that they are both adults, we bring them into the conversations we have about money.  I discuss how real estate works, how investing works, how life works, and how it's important to provide for your family and take care of them.  I show them where I have made mistakes.  We told them no when they were younger, even if we had the money, because I didn't want kids that felt like they needed or deserved everything.  My wife is the same way, she's very resourceful.  High maintenance and entitled people frustrate me.  We have not lived a life of extravagance so our kids are accustomed to that.  We have met their needs, and some of their wants.  They both have jobs while they are in school, so if they want something, they can buy it.

    That might be way more than you asked for, sorry.  I wasn't exactly sure what you were looking for so I tried to hit on quite a few things.

  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    I'm not interested in generational wealth.

    I've told all my relatives not to leave me anything as well. 

    The only thing I'm transferring to my children is knowledge and planning on having them be completely debt free when they graduate from college (IF they choose to go). I won't allow them to take out loans to pursue higher education. So my only financial plan is to help them start at zero when they are adults.

    As much as someone might love you....in the back of their minds they will be thinking "when they die I get all this...." 

    I believe generational wealth is a curse

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jeremiah Dunakin:
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @Jeremiah Dunakin:
    Quote from @Theresa Harris:

    I'd also add that I think generational wealth is about more than money-it is the values you teach others that matters the most.


     This a 100%. We as a society have become obsessed with the word generational wealth. It’s not the wealth but the culture and mentality that it encompasses that I don’t agree with. I am not saying I am a good parent I struggle and have ups and downs just like every parent that has ever lived. That said there are some steadfast profitable things that all kids can be taught and cultivated regardless of any excuse I mean social or economical challenges that they face. 

    The lessons you teach them far outweigh any buisness we give them. Work hard, take accountability, accept coaching, do the best job job you can regardless of whose watching, invest in yourself with knowledge and self worth, spend less than you make, stay out of bad debt, keep your hands with calluses, give cheerfully both time and money, count your blessing being born in America, be the person who will take the risk and don’t be ashamed whether you strike out  or most definitely hit a home run.many more principles but values trump degrees any day of week 


     Thing is this....kind like difficult to explain, but thing like "Work hard, take accountability, accept coaching, do the best job job you can regardless of whose watching, invest in yourself with knowledge and self worth, spend less than you make, stay out of bad debt, keep your hands with calluses" .... should be there/exist by default.

    I meant those are the the traits that's very common these days especially in certain society, 99% people is supporting and building  that aspect of life.

    Thing is... in 2024, just "work hard" alone is not enough, these new generation still need access to generational wealth so they can live better than previous generation. 

    The new generation in 2020 they are facing with way more higher inflation, debasing of dollar and the downgrade quality of living even if they are making the same money and work harder. They live in the world where American no longer control the worl
    we  are gonna have to agree to disagree, I came from not one aspect of wealth. I started working in a factory at 18 worked my butt off and made something of myself. I work with a couple young guys have did the same thing. They didn’t go on trips and buy new trucks or drink fancy coffee. These guys worked 84-100 every week for awhile saved a bunch of money (while still paying bills) bought some property and now in thier mid 20s the value of the real estate is 1.5x what they payed for it. They are loaded at 25/26 years old. They sacrificed, they didn’t blame the president, the parents, the school system, or anything else. They packed a big lunch and got after it. No trips, no new cars,no new clothes. Now these guys drive brand new trucks and take trips whenever and wherever they want. Mind you these are high school factory workers not college educated trust fund babies. It’s an attainable achievement it’s just a bit harder now. Working 25 hours at the coffee shop ain’t gonna cut it


     precisely what i'm talking about.

    every society and generation would create their own version of pivot generation which create "upward mobility class" and hopefully starting to generate generational wealth for their next gen or so. 

  • Attorney · Northbrook, IL · Member since 2017 · 719 posts · 549 votes
    2y

    The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer. I want my kids to be in position to succeed in life. I typically recommend my clients allow me to set up a Trust for their family. That being said, I have worked with many second and third generation wealth clients. If you raise your kids right, they will use the money wisely. If you don't, there is no planning on earth that will prevent your kids from finding a way to waste all the money.

  • Denis PonderPro Member
    New to Real Estate · Yuma, AZ · Member since 2023 · 280 posts · 246 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Bob Floss II:

    The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer. I want my kids to be in position to succeed in life. I typically recommend my clients allow me to set up a Trust for their family. That being said, I have worked with many second and third generation wealth clients. If you raise your kids right, they will use the money wisely. If you don't, there is no planning on earth that will prevent your kids from finding a way to waste all the money.

    100% this right here.
  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Bob Floss II:

    The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer. I want my kids to be in position to succeed in life. I typically recommend my clients allow me to set up a Trust for their family. That being said, I have worked with many second and third generation wealth clients. If you raise your kids right, they will use the money wisely. If you don't, there is no planning on earth that will prevent your kids from finding a way to waste all the money.


     It is known due to inflation , the richer would be richer and the poorer would be poorer. Guaranteed.

    I have SF with mortgage of $3500 ,$2500 and $2000.

    If my kid has to repurchase the house the mortgage would be 8k and 7k.

    For the rest of their life they would be only paying only for mortgage or rent. Hence generational wealth come to rescue. 

  • V.G JasonPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Mark Cruse:
    Quote from @V.G Jason:
    Quote from @Mark Cruse:

    For me, itś something I think about daily. Traditionally in the Black Community, in the past we were prevented from building wealth through multiple angles. My parent´s generation is where some started laying the tracks to pass stuff down. For most, nothing was passed down but some  parents were in the position to provide stable households, first generation real estate and send the kids go college. Now, that the baton was passed to me I was allowed to build on it. Iḿ focused on passing down a functioning business that I assume will be sold for the wealth. Also, there will be many other assets passed down (i.e primary home, insurance, stocks). It means so much to me. Just as that white man places his kids on the track for success with several hurdles cleared, so am I. I provide the free and clear education, upper-middle environment and great upbringing. What they do with it is on them. Not sure what is meant by inviting destrution or whatever but one thing I dont care for is their entitled nature. I feel this entire generation of young people are entitled, lazy and complaint consumed. I try to steer my kids away from that but I still see the entitled nature which some times leads to the other sht. Hopefully it will not present major problems but it is what it is. Generational wealth is my number one goal currently. Great topic!


     Just don't encourage the behavior. Trust me, I get **** from all angles by standing firm. Wife, parents in laws, etc., but the lessons of delayed gratification is too paramount. I can withstand their nonsense, I know I'm setting mine up with a fundamental belief in things are earned, patience,  and everything in between. 


     Yea, that´s probably the best way to go about it depending on the situation. Itś more complicated in the African American Community. Many in the last generation had nothing. They had nothing to give to their kids but bills while they could see others putting their children ahead of the curve. Now, in my generation so many have wealth and assets and they dont wont to see the kids denied anything. For me, I try to provide some sense of balance and hope it works. If everyone else can send their kids to school and the only thing they have to worrying about is grades, so can I. If other kids are starting off with passed down homes and trust funds, so are mine. However, I try to build discipline and work ethic with it, while they are still handed free sht all the time. Its a struggle. LOL 

    This is where the problems arise.

    I know one too many that are doing that, too. You got to be willing to deny, even if little Billy next door gets this amazing toy. It doesn't mean my kid gets it, too. They hate you today, they'll learn tomorrow. Life isn't as sweet as it appears. It honestly starts at the parenting level, meaning  my wife & I need to know we're not getting this car since our neighbor bought that car. For me, I've never had that problem. Some men do, and almost all women do. It's when the women in the genesis of the family formation can say no I don't need to keep up with them too and I am happy where I am at.

    Usually the kids get what they want, because the lady in the relationship will also ask and get what she wants. So she'll encourage the behavior. Before this opens a can of worms, this is the truth. Got to marry right.
  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    2y

    @V.G Jason

    That's straight out of The Millionaire Next Door. I think something like 85% of American millionaires will answer in a questionnaire that their spouse is "as frugal as" or "more frugal than" they are compared to 35% of the general population.

  • V.G JasonPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jim K.:

    @V.G Jason

    That's straight out of The Millionaire Next Door. I think something like 85% of American millionaires will answer in a questionnaire that their spouse is "as frugal as" or "more frugal than" they are compared to 35% of the general population.

    Never read it, but it's true. I wouldn't say as frugal, cause it's more a combination of discipline, not caring, and enjoying what you have.  Frugal is trying to skimp; we're not trying to skimp, we have nice cars, nice houses, enjoy great vacations. Just because someone else's was different doesn't mean it's better, and I think the constant looking around to find validation costs you to ruin the moment you're in. 

    And for the one's that didn't become millionaires, it's because the other spouse wasn't that way. It's rarely the guys, it's usually the ladies that do this behavior. Forget the hate that'll come this way for that comment-- it's true. 
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @Bob Floss II:

    The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer. I want my kids to be in position to succeed in life. I typically recommend my clients allow me to set up a Trust for their family. That being said, I have worked with many second and third generation wealth clients. If you raise your kids right, they will use the money wisely. If you don't, there is no planning on earth that will prevent your kids from finding a way to waste all the money.


     It is known due to inflation , the richer would be richer and the poorer would be poorer. Guaranteed.

    I have SF with mortgage of $3500 ,$2500 and $2000.

    If my kid has to repurchase the house the mortgage would be 8k and 7k.

    For the rest of their life they would be only paying only for mortgage or rent. Hence generational wealth come to rescue. 


    exactly when i bought my first home in 1979  I could not afford Cupertino were I grew up. Houses were 100k or so..  So I went to Milpitas and bought for 79k ..
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @V.G Jason:
    Quote from @Mark Cruse:
    Quote from @V.G Jason:
    Quote from @Mark Cruse:

    For me, itś something I think about daily. Traditionally in the Black Community, in the past we were prevented from building wealth through multiple angles. My parent´s generation is where some started laying the tracks to pass stuff down. For most, nothing was passed down but some  parents were in the position to provide stable households, first generation real estate and send the kids go college. Now, that the baton was passed to me I was allowed to build on it. Iḿ focused on passing down a functioning business that I assume will be sold for the wealth. Also, there will be many other assets passed down (i.e primary home, insurance, stocks). It means so much to me. Just as that white man places his kids on the track for success with several hurdles cleared, so am I. I provide the free and clear education, upper-middle environment and great upbringing. What they do with it is on them. Not sure what is meant by inviting destrution or whatever but one thing I dont care for is their entitled nature. I feel this entire generation of young people are entitled, lazy and complaint consumed. I try to steer my kids away from that but I still see the entitled nature which some times leads to the other sht. Hopefully it will not present major problems but it is what it is. Generational wealth is my number one goal currently. Great topic!


     Just don't encourage the behavior. Trust me, I get **** from all angles by standing firm. Wife, parents in laws, etc., but the lessons of delayed gratification is too paramount. I can withstand their nonsense, I know I'm setting mine up with a fundamental belief in things are earned, patience,  and everything in between. 


     Yea, that´s probably the best way to go about it depending on the situation. Itś more complicated in the African American Community. Many in the last generation had nothing. They had nothing to give to their kids but bills while they could see others putting their children ahead of the curve. Now, in my generation so many have wealth and assets and they dont wont to see the kids denied anything. For me, I try to provide some sense of balance and hope it works. If everyone else can send their kids to school and the only thing they have to worrying about is grades, so can I. If other kids are starting off with passed down homes and trust funds, so are mine. However, I try to build discipline and work ethic with it, while they are still handed free sht all the time. Its a struggle. LOL 

    This is where the problems arise.

    I know one too many that are doing that, too. You got to be willing to deny, even if little Billy next door gets this amazing toy. It doesn't mean my kid gets it, too. They hate you today, they'll learn tomorrow. Life isn't as sweet as it appears. It honestly starts at the parenting level, meaning  my wife & I need to know we're not getting this car since our neighbor bought that car. For me, I've never had that problem. Some men do, and almost all women do. It's when the women in the genesis of the family formation can say no I don't need to keep up with them too and I am happy where I am at.

    Usually the kids get what they want, because the lady in the relationship will also ask and get what she wants. So she'll encourage the behavior. Before this opens a can of worms, this is the truth. Got to marry right.

     I think it is important to learn you can't have everything you want.  You need to save up and make choices.  Too many people these days expect to start where their parents are now-not where their parents starts.  If you have a partner, ideally it is someone with similar values or you are in big trouble.

  • V.G JasonPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Theresa Harris:
    Quote from @V.G Jason:
    Quote from @Mark Cruse:
    Quote from @V.G Jason:
    Quote from @Mark Cruse:

    For me, itś something I think about daily. Traditionally in the Black Community, in the past we were prevented from building wealth through multiple angles. My parent´s generation is where some started laying the tracks to pass stuff down. For most, nothing was passed down but some  parents were in the position to provide stable households, first generation real estate and send the kids go college. Now, that the baton was passed to me I was allowed to build on it. Iḿ focused on passing down a functioning business that I assume will be sold for the wealth. Also, there will be many other assets passed down (i.e primary home, insurance, stocks). It means so much to me. Just as that white man places his kids on the track for success with several hurdles cleared, so am I. I provide the free and clear education, upper-middle environment and great upbringing. What they do with it is on them. Not sure what is meant by inviting destrution or whatever but one thing I dont care for is their entitled nature. I feel this entire generation of young people are entitled, lazy and complaint consumed. I try to steer my kids away from that but I still see the entitled nature which some times leads to the other sht. Hopefully it will not present major problems but it is what it is. Generational wealth is my number one goal currently. Great topic!


     Just don't encourage the behavior. Trust me, I get **** from all angles by standing firm. Wife, parents in laws, etc., but the lessons of delayed gratification is too paramount. I can withstand their nonsense, I know I'm setting mine up with a fundamental belief in things are earned, patience,  and everything in between. 


     Yea, that´s probably the best way to go about it depending on the situation. Itś more complicated in the African American Community. Many in the last generation had nothing. They had nothing to give to their kids but bills while they could see others putting their children ahead of the curve. Now, in my generation so many have wealth and assets and they dont wont to see the kids denied anything. For me, I try to provide some sense of balance and hope it works. If everyone else can send their kids to school and the only thing they have to worrying about is grades, so can I. If other kids are starting off with passed down homes and trust funds, so are mine. However, I try to build discipline and work ethic with it, while they are still handed free sht all the time. Its a struggle. LOL 

    This is where the problems arise.

    I know one too many that are doing that, too. You got to be willing to deny, even if little Billy next door gets this amazing toy. It doesn't mean my kid gets it, too. They hate you today, they'll learn tomorrow. Life isn't as sweet as it appears. It honestly starts at the parenting level, meaning  my wife & I need to know we're not getting this car since our neighbor bought that car. For me, I've never had that problem. Some men do, and almost all women do. It's when the women in the genesis of the family formation can say no I don't need to keep up with them too and I am happy where I am at.

    Usually the kids get what they want, because the lady in the relationship will also ask and get what she wants. So she'll encourage the behavior. Before this opens a can of worms, this is the truth. Got to marry right.

     I think it is important to learn you can't have everything you want.  You need to save up and make choices.  Too many people these days expect to start where their parents are now-not where their parents starts.  If you have a partner, ideally it is someone with similar values or you are in big trouble.

    Right on. You really identify who people are once they don't get what they want from you. Everything changes once people hear no from you.

    You got to kind of reverse engineer that through tons of obstacles in parenting to get your kids on that right track.

  • Member since 2020 · 351 posts · 329 votes
    2y
    Quote from @V.G Jason:
    Quote from @Jim K.:

    @V.G Jason

    That's straight out of The Millionaire Next Door. I think something like 85% of American millionaires will answer in a questionnaire that their spouse is "as frugal as" or "more frugal than" they are compared to 35% of the general population.

    Never read it, but it's true. I wouldn't say as frugal, cause it's more a combination of discipline, not caring, and enjoying what you have.  Frugal is trying to skimp; we're not trying to skimp, we have nice cars, nice houses, enjoy great vacations. Just because someone else's was different doesn't mean it's better, and I think the constant looking around to find validation costs you to ruin the moment you're in. 

    And for the one's that didn't become millionaires, it's because the other spouse wasn't that way. It's rarely the guys, it's usually the ladies that do this behavior. Forget the hate that'll come this way for that comment-- it's true. 

    Haha, my wife will spend right up to her means but no more. It iterated me to hell when we first got married. We ended up setting up 4 accounts, one for the mortgage, one for everyday saving, one for medium term saving (car repairs, vet bills, new cars, vacations) and one for long term investing. I manage the medium and long term stuff she’s manage the day to day.
    They say women spend 90% of every dollar spent in this country. Which is why marketers always tell you to market to women. (Of course, as is my case, it’s because all that spending has been delegated to her because I hate shopping)

  • V.G JasonPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Peter W.:
    Quote from @V.G Jason:
    Quote from @Jim K.:

    @V.G Jason

    That's straight out of The Millionaire Next Door. I think something like 85% of American millionaires will answer in a questionnaire that their spouse is "as frugal as" or "more frugal than" they are compared to 35% of the general population.

    Never read it, but it's true. I wouldn't say as frugal, cause it's more a combination of discipline, not caring, and enjoying what you have.  Frugal is trying to skimp; we're not trying to skimp, we have nice cars, nice houses, enjoy great vacations. Just because someone else's was different doesn't mean it's better, and I think the constant looking around to find validation costs you to ruin the moment you're in. 

    And for the one's that didn't become millionaires, it's because the other spouse wasn't that way. It's rarely the guys, it's usually the ladies that do this behavior. Forget the hate that'll come this way for that comment-- it's true. 

    Haha, my wife will spend right up to her means but no more. It iterated me to hell when we first got married. We ended up setting up 4 accounts, one for the mortgage, one for everyday saving, one for medium term saving (car repairs, vet bills, new cars, vacations) and one for long term investing. I manage the medium and long term stuff she’s manage the day to day.
    They say women spend 90% of every dollar spent in this country. Which is why marketers always tell you to market to women. (Of course, as is my case, it’s because all that spending has been delegated to her because I hate shopping)


     First marriage taught me all the lessons. Learned the hard way, so all these young guys on this forum now learn. It made a man out of me, she was a pretty girl but she got nasty. 

    Second marriage, I definitely made this a point to be clear on. And I would not budge, I think she thought I was something to play with but I was serious. Can't fumble the quarterback contract. 

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Peter W.:
    Quote from @V.G Jason:
    Quote from @Jim K.:

    @V.G Jason

    That's straight out of The Millionaire Next Door. I think something like 85% of American millionaires will answer in a questionnaire that their spouse is "as frugal as" or "more frugal than" they are compared to 35% of the general population.

    Never read it, but it's true. I wouldn't say as frugal, cause it's more a combination of discipline, not caring, and enjoying what you have.  Frugal is trying to skimp; we're not trying to skimp, we have nice cars, nice houses, enjoy great vacations. Just because someone else's was different doesn't mean it's better, and I think the constant looking around to find validation costs you to ruin the moment you're in. 

    And for the one's that didn't become millionaires, it's because the other spouse wasn't that way. It's rarely the guys, it's usually the ladies that do this behavior. Forget the hate that'll come this way for that comment-- it's true. 

    Haha, my wife will spend right up to her means but no more. It iterated me to hell when we first got married. We ended up setting up 4 accounts, one for the mortgage, one for everyday saving, one for medium term saving (car repairs, vet bills, new cars, vacations) and one for long term investing. I manage the medium and long term stuff she’s manage the day to day.
    They say women spend 90% of every dollar spent in this country. Which is why marketers always tell you to market to women. (Of course, as is my case, it’s because all that spending has been delegated to her because I hate shopping)


     Maybe I always lucky lol

  • Brian ChildresPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tyler, TX · Member since 2018 · 28 posts · 17 votes
    2y

    Generational wealth is a weird thing. After mentoring dads for 30 years, I've realized that children (young or adult) want/need: (1) role models of integrity, and (2) healthy relationship with their parents (plenty of affirmation!). Their parent's money does them very little good in the long run.

    Now, that said, a good approach is to INVEST into our kids. Our approach: 1. invest a small amount in the purchase of their first home purchase. 2. If they want to start a VIABLE business (such as REI), invest a small amount in it (be careful with expecatations as the biz may fail!) 3. Our 4 kids will split the proceeds of the sell of our primary residence when we die. That's all! All of our assets- REI, stocks, bonds, life insurance, cash, etc,- will go to non-profits that are making the world a better place. Bottom line: our kids don't need much of our money when we die- $100k each is more than enough (exception of course: special needs children). Give your kids your most valuable assets: your time, affirmation, and unconditional love- every day of your life. This is the billion dollar legacy my wife and I will be leaving for our children. The book Die With Zero has some good thoughts about this topic as well.

  • Member since 2020 · 351 posts · 329 votes
    2y
    Quote from @V.G Jason:
    Quote from @Peter W.:
    Quote from @V.G Jason:
    Quote from @Jim K.:

    @V.G Jason

    That's straight out of The Millionaire Next Door. I think something like 85% of American millionaires will answer in a questionnaire that their spouse is "as frugal as" or "more frugal than" they are compared to 35% of the general population.

    Never read it, but it's true. I wouldn't say as frugal, cause it's more a combination of discipline, not caring, and enjoying what you have.  Frugal is trying to skimp; we're not trying to skimp, we have nice cars, nice houses, enjoy great vacations. Just because someone else's was different doesn't mean it's better, and I think the constant looking around to find validation costs you to ruin the moment you're in. 

    And for the one's that didn't become millionaires, it's because the other spouse wasn't that way. It's rarely the guys, it's usually the ladies that do this behavior. Forget the hate that'll come this way for that comment-- it's true. 

    Haha, my wife will spend right up to her means but no more. It iterated me to hell when we first got married. We ended up setting up 4 accounts, one for the mortgage, one for everyday saving, one for medium term saving (car repairs, vet bills, new cars, vacations) and one for long term investing. I manage the medium and long term stuff she’s manage the day to day.
    They say women spend 90% of every dollar spent in this country. Which is why marketers always tell you to market to women. (Of course, as is my case, it’s because all that spending has been delegated to her because I hate shopping)


     First marriage taught me all the lessons. Learned the hard way, so all these young guys on this forum now learn. It made a man out of me, she was a pretty girl but she got nasty. 

    Second marriage, I definitely made this a point to be clear on. And I would not budge, I think she thought I was something to play with but I was serious. Can't fumble the quarterback contract. 

    It’s been good for me. When I lived by myself, I lived one block from the projects because it would save me a little money. I needed someone who would help me enjoy myself a little more. Plus I choose her for mothering skills and she’s been beyond excellent there. One has to strike a balance of being sensible with savings and not being cheap.

  • Investor · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @V.G Jason:
    Quote from @Mark Cruse:
    Quote from @V.G Jason:
    Quote from @Mark Cruse:

    For me, itś something I think about daily. Traditionally in the Black Community, in the past we were prevented from building wealth through multiple angles. My parent´s generation is where some started laying the tracks to pass stuff down. For most, nothing was passed down but some  parents were in the position to provide stable households, first generation real estate and send the kids go college. Now, that the baton was passed to me I was allowed to build on it. Iḿ focused on passing down a functioning business that I assume will be sold for the wealth. Also, there will be many other assets passed down (i.e primary home, insurance, stocks). It means so much to me. Just as that white man places his kids on the track for success with several hurdles cleared, so am I. I provide the free and clear education, upper-middle environment and great upbringing. What they do with it is on them. Not sure what is meant by inviting destrution or whatever but one thing I dont care for is their entitled nature. I feel this entire generation of young people are entitled, lazy and complaint consumed. I try to steer my kids away from that but I still see the entitled nature which some times leads to the other sht. Hopefully it will not present major problems but it is what it is. Generational wealth is my number one goal currently. Great topic!


     Just don't encourage the behavior. Trust me, I get **** from all angles by standing firm. Wife, parents in laws, etc., but the lessons of delayed gratification is too paramount. I can withstand their nonsense, I know I'm setting mine up with a fundamental belief in things are earned, patience,  and everything in between. 


     Yea, that´s probably the best way to go about it depending on the situation. Itś more complicated in the African American Community. Many in the last generation had nothing. They had nothing to give to their kids but bills while they could see others putting their children ahead of the curve. Now, in my generation so many have wealth and assets and they dont wont to see the kids denied anything. For me, I try to provide some sense of balance and hope it works. If everyone else can send their kids to school and the only thing they have to worrying about is grades, so can I. If other kids are starting off with passed down homes and trust funds, so are mine. However, I try to build discipline and work ethic with it, while they are still handed free sht all the time. Its a struggle. LOL 

    This is where the problems arise.

    I know one too many that are doing that, too. You got to be willing to deny, even if little Billy next door gets this amazing toy. It doesn't mean my kid gets it, too. They hate you today, they'll learn tomorrow. Life isn't as sweet as it appears. It honestly starts at the parenting level, meaning  my wife & I need to know we're not getting this car since our neighbor bought that car. For me, I've never had that problem. Some men do, and almost all women do. It's when the women in the genesis of the family formation can say no I don't need to keep up with them too and I am happy where I am at.

    Usually the kids get what they want, because the lady in the relationship will also ask and get what she wants. So she'll encourage the behavior. Before this opens a can of worms, this is the truth. Got to marry right.

     Im just hoping my balance is right. Nothing is static and some depends on the situation. I just cant see if little Billy and Josh down the street have their college all footed by the parents, why I would tell mine they are on their own and bust your azz to find your way. However, i have to pull back enough so they wont be weak and lazy. Have to have the right mix. The individual most likely admired but thousands in this forum built his empire off of generational wealth. There are so many billionaires that started off so far ahead of the curve that they walked right into being super rich. Its a struggle but all I can do is see how it turns out. 

  • Investor · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jim K.:
    Quote from @Mark Cruse:
    Quote from @V.G Jason:
    Quote from @Mark Cruse:

    For me, itś something I think about daily. Traditionally in the Black Community, in the past we were prevented from building wealth through multiple angles. My parent´s generation is where some started laying the tracks to pass stuff down. For most, nothing was passed down but some  parents were in the position to provide stable households, first generation real estate and send the kids go college. Now, that the baton was passed to me I was allowed to build on it. Iḿ focused on passing down a functioning business that I assume will be sold for the wealth. Also, there will be many other assets passed down (i.e primary home, insurance, stocks). It means so much to me. Just as that white man places his kids on the track for success with several hurdles cleared, so am I. I provide the free and clear education, upper-middle environment and great upbringing. What they do with it is on them. Not sure what is meant by inviting destrution or whatever but one thing I dont care for is their entitled nature. I feel this entire generation of young people are entitled, lazy and complaint consumed. I try to steer my kids away from that but I still see the entitled nature which some times leads to the other sht. Hopefully it will not present major problems but it is what it is. Generational wealth is my number one goal currently. Great topic!


     Just don't encourage the behavior. Trust me, I get **** from all angles by standing firm. Wife, parents in laws, etc., but the lessons of delayed gratification is too paramount. I can withstand their nonsense, I know I'm setting mine up with a fundamental belief in things are earned, patience,  and everything in between. 


     Yea, that´s probably the best way to go about it depending on the situation. Itś more complicated in the African American Community. Many in the last generation had nothing. They had nothing to give to their kids but bills while they could see others putting their children ahead of the curve. Now, in my generation so many have wealth and assets and they dont wont to see the kids denied anything. For me, I try to provide some sense of balance and hope it works. If everyone else can send their kids to school and the only thing they have to worrying about is grades, so can I. If other kids are starting off with passed down homes and trust funds, so are mine. However, I try to build discipline and work ethic with it, while they are still handed free sht all the time. Its a struggle. LOL 


    Mark, for what it's worth, the same sort of thing happened with the Greeks. The history is kind of complicated, but after the mess of the Greek Civil War and the junta, so many Greeks had nothing starting out in 1974 with the Third Hellenic Republic that by the time we were in the runup to the debt crisis, most Greeks really didn't want to see their children denied anything. It was a giant cultural movement. And it bred way too much entitlement with our young people in the home country.


     Wow, I love history. I had no clue that was the situation for Greeks. I need to study up on that. 

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    2y

    As most of you know (because I obnoxiously mention it again and again here in the forums), I live in half a large duplex that I bought in unlivable condition for $45K cash for back in the beginning of 2017. I've spent years of my own spare time fixing it up, and Zillow now tells me the place is worth $191K. This duplex was initially custom-built for a local heiress, but by the time I ended up with it, it couldn't pass a housing inspection by a blind code official. It's still not ideal, but the upstairs is actually rather nice and rents for $950, and the downstairs, where we live, looks less and less like a construction zone weekly.

    I'm bringing all this yet again because I want all of you to picture my wife and I in this duplex just talking around on our back porch last Sunday afternoon (I was priming a door). We were discussing our next acquisition, which we want to be a small multifamily somewhere in the $500-$750K range. Our plan now is to sell a single-family in our portfolio that I've never liked but is mostly paid off, and 1031 the money into the cash injection for a commercial loan by our regular banker. The sale of the single-family should easily cover what we'll need for the cash injection and about thirty thousand left over for a war chest to fix whatever comes up with the new acquisition.

    We are confident in our plans and our skills and the rest of our team in this new endeavor, we have a good handle on what needs to be done, and really, while this will be a major move for us, it won't overextend our resources. Not by a long shot. So last Sunday, there we were, ironing out a few more of the details between us.

    It occurred to me that I could never imagine my parents having such a conversation. Never heard anyone in the close group of friends I've developed in my life casually talk numbers like this. Nobody in my wife's erstwhile professional circle of friends (nursing assistants), no one in mine (teachers). Just real estate people, and 9/10 of real estate people are just full of overblown crap on general principle. But here we were, a childless couple in this nondescript duplex, calmly working toward a level of self-made affluence I couldn't have really imagined as a child. A million dollars? Two million dollars? Three? Impossible pie-in-the-sky numbers for me as a high school student in the late eighties, when I graduated high school. When I dreamed of affluence circa 1991, it included the obligatory hot car (that I can buy a few times over now), lots of cheap women throwing themselves at me (my body would end up weighed down so deep in the Mon they'd never find it, I married a dangerous woman), and a lot of expensive stuff (me, a student of minimalism today).

    It also occurred to me that if my wife and I had kids, there was no way we could have asked them in 2017 to move into a leaking shack on the edge of a heroin ghetto, where a dude got shot just walking home in the alley out back in 2018, where the school system was ranked about as low as you can get for southwestern Pennsylvania (which is really saying something). Could we have done other things with children? Certainly. But I couldn't imagine the kind of kids we would be able to raise with how busy we've been, how little time we've had for anything other than generating income and expanding our portfolio. We certainly couldn't have gone on the vacations we've taken in the last few years with kids. I'm afraid we would have raised entitled little brats of little character and limited drive to succeed for any other reason than to create an opulent lifestyle for themselves, practically blind to their enormous privileges, just like most every other moderately financially-successful couple we know socially.

    Thank you all for your insightful contributions here. I look at the things you've carefully done for your children, a college education, a car, a downpayment on a house, a no-interest loan...it's nice.

  • Denis PonderPro Member
    New to Real Estate · Yuma, AZ · Member since 2023 · 280 posts · 246 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jim K.:

    As most of you know (because I obnoxiously mention it again and again here in the forums), I live in half a large duplex that I bought in unlivable condition for $45K cash for back in the beginning of 2017. I've spent years of my own spare time fixing it up, and Zillow now tells me the place is worth $191K. This duplex was initially custom-built for a local heiress, but by the time I ended up with it, it couldn't pass a housing inspection by a blind code official. It's still not ideal, but the upstairs is actually rather nice and rents for $950, and the downstairs, where we live, looks less and less like a construction zone weekly.

    I'm bringing all this yet again because I want all of you to picture my wife and I in this duplex just talking around on our back porch last Sunday afternoon (I was priming a door). We were discussing our next acquisition, which we want to be a small multifamily somewhere in the $500-$750K range. Our plan now is to sell a single-family in our portfolio that I've never liked but is mostly paid off, and 1031 the money into the cash injection for a commercial loan by our regular banker. The sale of the single-family should easily cover what we'll need for the cash injection and about thirty thousand left over for a war chest to fix whatever comes up with the new acquisition.

    We are confident in our plans and our skills and the rest of our team in this new endeavor, we have a good handle on what needs to be done, and really, while this will be a major move for us, it won't overextend our resources. Not by a long shot. So last Sunday, there we were, ironing out a few more of the details between us.

    It occurred to me that I could never imagine my parents having such a conversation. Never heard anyone in the close group of friends I've developed in my life casually talk numbers like this. Nobody in my wife's erstwhile professional circle of friends (nursing assistants), no one in mine (teachers). Just real estate people, and 9/10 of real estate people are just full of overblown crap on general principle. But here we were, a childless couple in this nondescript duplex, calmly working toward a level of self-made affluence I couldn't have really imagined as a child. A million dollars? Two million dollars? Three? Impossible pie-in-the-sky numbers for me as a high school student in the late eighties, when I graduated high school. When I dreamed of affluence circa 1991, it included the obligatory hot car (that I can buy a few times over now), lots of cheap women throwing themselves at me (my body would end up weighed down so deep in the Mon they'd never find it, I married a dangerous woman), and a lot of expensive stuff (me, a student of minimalism today).

    It also occurred to me that if my wife and I had kids, there was no way we could have asked them in 2017 to move into a leaking shack on the edge of a heroin ghetto, where a dude got shot just walking home in the alley out back in 2018, where the school system was ranked about as low as you can get for southwestern Pennsylvania (which is really saying something). Could we have done other things with children? Certainly. But I couldn't imagine the kind of kids we would be able to raise with how busy we've been, how little time we've had for anything other than generating income and expanding our portfolio. We certainly couldn't have gone on the vacations we've taken in the last few years with kids. I'm afraid we would have raised entitled little brats of little character and limited drive to succeed for any other reason than to create an opulent lifestyle for themselves, practically blind to their enormous privileges, just like most every other moderately financially-successful couple we know socially.

    Thank you all for your insightful contributions here. I look at the things you've carefully done for your children, a college education, a car, a downpayment on a house, a no-interest loan...it's nice.

    I bet you would be far better at parenting than you give yourself credit for.  I don't know you in real life, but your persona on here leads me to believe you would have a solid balance of teaching, helping, loving, and discipline.  At least that's what I get when I add your posts together over the time I have been here.

    Also, thanks for being a teacher!  I did it for 3.5 years.  Tough and rewarding.  Your career path is very much appreciated!

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y

    @Jim K.   The kids will get what is left over, no guarantees we have told them and that is life. We are enjoying life and hopefully will do so for a while longer. I doubt we could spend it all but they don't know that. 

    What I worry about is two things

    -that any inheritance no matter how small will negatively impact their relationship with each other.  I  had 6 remaining siblings when my parents died and wrapping up the modest house they left behind had its challenges.  We survived but we weren't nearly as different as my 2 kids. The frugal straightlaced one and the challenged chaotic one with limited ability to recognize a con, more "friends" bamboozled him then I care to count.  Not every kid is a rocket scientist or has a good sense of people. No matter what you think you can teach them. Despite an equal trust I think the one will always need to look out for the other. I worry if it will get divisive, my greatest wealth growing up was family, and I am close to my siblings still. Mostly I want more than any money I could give them that what I leave them unites them rather than divides them.  

    - the other thing I worry about is people like unscrupulous wholesalers or RE people taking advantage of them in the aftermath of a loss.   I can educate and talk about what to do but the one that a good head on his shoulders also takes loss hard. 

    That said as my husband tells me, we will be dead.  You can only do what you can do.  I guess my worries are in a different vein than some of you. 

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Mark Cruse:
    Quote from @Jim K.:
    Quote from @Mark Cruse:
    Quote from @V.G Jason:
    Quote from @Mark Cruse:

    For me, itś something I think about daily. Traditionally in the Black Community, in the past we were prevented from building wealth through multiple angles. My parent´s generation is where some started laying the tracks to pass stuff down. For most, nothing was passed down but some  parents were in the position to provide stable households, first generation real estate and send the kids go college. Now, that the baton was passed to me I was allowed to build on it. Iḿ focused on passing down a functioning business that I assume will be sold for the wealth. Also, there will be many other assets passed down (i.e primary home, insurance, stocks). It means so much to me. Just as that white man places his kids on the track for success with several hurdles cleared, so am I. I provide the free and clear education, upper-middle environment and great upbringing. What they do with it is on them. Not sure what is meant by inviting destrution or whatever but one thing I dont care for is their entitled nature. I feel this entire generation of young people are entitled, lazy and complaint consumed. I try to steer my kids away from that but I still see the entitled nature which some times leads to the other sht. Hopefully it will not present major problems but it is what it is. Generational wealth is my number one goal currently. Great topic!


     Just don't encourage the behavior. Trust me, I get **** from all angles by standing firm. Wife, parents in laws, etc., but the lessons of delayed gratification is too paramount. I can withstand their nonsense, I know I'm setting mine up with a fundamental belief in things are earned, patience,  and everything in between. 


     Yea, that´s probably the best way to go about it depending on the situation. Itś more complicated in the African American Community. Many in the last generation had nothing. They had nothing to give to their kids but bills while they could see others putting their children ahead of the curve. Now, in my generation so many have wealth and assets and they dont wont to see the kids denied anything. For me, I try to provide some sense of balance and hope it works. If everyone else can send their kids to school and the only thing they have to worrying about is grades, so can I. If other kids are starting off with passed down homes and trust funds, so are mine. However, I try to build discipline and work ethic with it, while they are still handed free sht all the time. Its a struggle. LOL 


    Mark, for what it's worth, the same sort of thing happened with the Greeks. The history is kind of complicated, but after the mess of the Greek Civil War and the junta, so many Greeks had nothing starting out in 1974 with the Third Hellenic Republic that by the time we were in the runup to the debt crisis, most Greeks really didn't want to see their children denied anything. It was a giant cultural movement. And it bred way too much entitlement with our young people in the home country.


     Wow, I love history. I had no clue that was the situation for Greeks. I need to study up on that. 


    You know the history of "generational wealth" is having the same interlinked with the history of "land privatization" and "war against communism" haha lol ... as generational wealth is impossible in commie-land.

    A family could offer "generational wealth" only if the land is private.

    This is why also the original communists really disliked the landowner/landlord like us lol....

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.