The most boring part of real estate

The most boring part of real estate

Investor · Pawleys Island, SC · Member since 2015 · 324 posts · 385 votes

There are plenty of posts for newbies to read about how exciting and lucrative real estate can be, how frustrating it can get or weird problems you didn't know existed before (like the poor guy with the hedgehog  that won't leave his property), but not a lot on the mundane parts of real estate.

What's the most boring or mundane part of real estate for you?

I'm currently sitting on the floor alone in one of my vacant rentals waiting on the next prospective tenant on a cold December night lining up prospects for my open house style rental showing Saturday as tonight is looking like a bust.  I have an hour and twenty minute ride home.  This part is definitely not on the highlight reel.

1Reply
42 views

Most Popular Reply

Anthony GaydenPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
8y
Anna Buffkin For me the most boring part of real estate is dealing with the mortgage lenders. Tons of boring and tedious paperwork. Open houses and showings are fun.
See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Northern NJ · Member since 2016 · 341 posts · 144 votes
    8y
    Anna Buffkin yup the morning hung that you are doing now dose not seem like fun (especially if you’re not sure as to when this vacancy will get filled) however good luck
  • Anthony GaydenPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    Anna Buffkin For me the most boring part of real estate is dealing with the mortgage lenders. Tons of boring and tedious paperwork. Open houses and showings are fun.
  • Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    I like purchasing and doing lending.

    If I'm not actively working on closing on a house or a loan, I'm bored.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2017 · 719 posts · 658 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Anna Buffkin:

    I'm currently sitting on the floor alone in one of my vacant rentals waiting on the next prospective tenant on a cold December night lining up prospects for my open house style rental showing Saturday as tonight is looking like a bust.  I have an hour and twenty minute ride home.  This part is definitely not on the highlight reel.

    You can request the confirmation via texting for each showing. Anyway, an hour and half driving to your rentals is alittle too much. It might be better to hire an agent to get it rented - there might be plenty of showings before it get rented, your time and mileage will cost more :( 

  • Investor · Pawleys Island, SC · Member since 2015 · 324 posts · 385 votes
    8y

    Thanks @irina belkofer, but I'm too type A right now to let someone rent it for me.  Plus it's one of my strengths.  I'm usually really good and screening over the phone. I had 2 good canidates and 1 iffy one set up tonight.  I haven't had an eviction issue since 2014 and 4 of my tenants are long term plus 1 is getting ready to renew his lease next month and a verbal commit torenew in March.  I don't think a PM will give me that kind of consistency in good tenants.

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y
    A lot of things come to mine but for me the first thing that I think of is filling out mortgage paperwork. It’s always (for conventional) the same paperwork yet I still have to do it
  • lakewood, NJ · Member since 2017 · 282 posts · 156 votes
    8y

    @Anna Buffkin- I think one 'boring' and lonely part of real estate is starting out. Good to know the boring stuff doesn't go away, but I might have more 'fun' stuff in between to sweeten the other stuff that I gotta do!

    @Alexander Felice- Nice website! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.