The most boring part of real estate

7 Replies

There are plenty of posts for newbies to read about how exciting and lucrative real estate can be, how frustrating it can get or weird problems you didn't know existed before (like the poor guy with the hedgehog  that won't leave his property), but not a lot on the mundane parts of real estate.

What's the most boring or mundane part of real estate for you?

I'm currently sitting on the floor alone in one of my vacant rentals waiting on the next prospective tenant on a cold December night lining up prospects for my open house style rental showing Saturday as tonight is looking like a bust.  I have an hour and twenty minute ride home.  This part is definitely not on the highlight reel.

@Anna Buffkin yup the morning hung that you are doing now dose not seem like fun (especially if you’re not sure as to when this vacancy will get filled) however good luck

@Anna Buffkin

For me the most boring part of real estate is dealing with the mortgage lenders. Tons of boring and tedious paperwork.

Open houses and showings are fun.

I like purchasing and doing lending.

If I'm not actively working on closing on a house or a loan, I'm bored.

Originally posted by @Anna Buffkin :

I'm currently sitting on the floor alone in one of my vacant rentals waiting on the next prospective tenant on a cold December night lining up prospects for my open house style rental showing Saturday as tonight is looking like a bust.  I have an hour and twenty minute ride home.  This part is definitely not on the highlight reel.

You can request the confirmation via texting for each showing. Anyway, an hour and half driving to your rentals is alittle too much. It might be better to hire an agent to get it rented - there might be plenty of showings before it get rented, your time and mileage will cost more :( 

Thanks @irina belkofer, but I'm too type A right now to let someone rent it for me.  Plus it's one of my strengths.  I'm usually really good and screening over the phone. I had 2 good canidates and 1 iffy one set up tonight.  I haven't had an eviction issue since 2014 and 4 of my tenants are long term plus 1 is getting ready to renew his lease next month and a verbal commit torenew in March.  I don't think a PM will give me that kind of consistency in good tenants.

A lot of things come to mine but for me the first thing that I think of is filling out mortgage paperwork. It’s always (for conventional) the same paperwork yet I still have to do it

@Anna Buffkin - I think one 'boring' and lonely part of real estate is starting out. Good to know the boring stuff doesn't go away, but I might have more 'fun' stuff in between to sweeten the other stuff that I gotta do!

@Alexander Felice - Nice website! 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here