@Jay Hinrichs, that's a fair point. I turned 43 a few months ago, but I still recall feeling the "ouch" 3 years ago when I saw my 20-year term life insurance premium sky rocket once the end of the term went past age 60. I changed that to a policy that will expire when I turn 60 vs. keeps renewing annually past 60. So yes, your point about the increasing costs of health insurance as we age are well-taken and noted.
Regarding costs for health insurance: I don't know if you followed the link I provided, but the site says that if you earn between 100 and 400 percent of the Federal Poverty level, you can get most, if not ALL, of your ACA policy paid for via subsidies. Just a quick snippet to tease your information taste buds....
.
*********************************************
"Those subsidies can be used to offset the premiums for any metal-level plan in the exchange. Because the subsidies are so large, some enrollees can get free Bronze plans, or Gold plans that are less expensive than Silver plans. According to an analysis by the Kaiser Family Foundation, 4.2 million uninsured Americans would be eligible for free Bronze plans for 2019....For 2019 coverage, that upper income cap is $48,560 for a single person and $100,400 for a family of four.
*********************************************
That's right: you can qualify for a subsidy making 6 figures... But you better not make $100,401!
Bottom line is if you strategically adjust your income you qualify for a ton of Govt-paid programs, one of which is healthcare insurance. It becomes very low cost and/or no cost to you, then all you have to worry about is meeting the deductible. And if all else fails...show up at the ER because by law they cannot refuse to serve you.
People like you and I probably won't every qualify for a dime because we'd have to reduce our income drastically, and we wouldn't to do that just to freeload off the tax base. But in the spirit of this post that asked how quick could you get to the point where you never have to work again... driving down income would be a major strategy.
The biggest three expenses: housing, healthcare, and taxes. Reduce/eliminate those costs, and $2,000 goes long way in South West Missouri!