My mom went to bed angry...

My mom went to bed angry...

Scott JohnsonBusiness Member
Specialist · Greenville, NC · Member since 2019 · 673 posts · 408 votes

My family started a wholesaling business and we're progressing well. We are a part of a wholesaler team here in town, multiple wholesaling companies that operate independently but JV on deals regularly, and we tend to help each other out by sharing information, strategies, etc. That being the case, we attract buy and hold investors to our meetings as well.

A friend of mine is a buy and hold investor who, like us, is looking to purchase multi family for cash flow and we’re working together to develop a mastermind. Well, my brother and I are working with him.

This investor asked if he could ride around while we drive for dollars and if I could outline how Podio operates, so as to get a better understanding of what we do as wholesalers and how he can use Podio to his advantage. I agreed and we scheduled it for Monday. I then get to my moms house later that evening to learn that she’s gone to bed livid that we’d do such a thing, because we’re helping the competition. No doubt she’s seeing the deals that we would NOT get, if this person was to start wholesaling.

In my mind, I’m developing a relationship with a potential partner and, even if he does start wholesaling, we would appeal to different sellers. There’s plenty of deals out there and money to be made, so why not give and teach in order to help develop someone so they can reach their goals, especially if they’re similar to ours? There’s business practices and plans that I will obviously keep to myself.

Am I wrong in this? Should I be seeing everyone as potential or actual competition?

Has anyone dealt with a similar situation and been able to develop the idea of reciprocity in their partner?

Thanks in advance.

2Reply
95 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
7y
Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

@James Wise  NO kidding last thing you want to do is train your competition.

unless the market has literally 1000s of vacant homes.. there is uber competition for great deals.

to do this on the hopes of a deal or two..  the flip side is you teach him and the next thing you know your competing.

its why when I bought courthouse steps.. we don't talk to anyone who asks questions.. I just reply nicely its all public record

 Lol exactly. Realtors have this mentality too. Well I guess that makes sense considering all the wholesalers in this thread are doing is acting as unlicensed Realtors but that is a topic for another day.......Anyways back to the topic at hand. I used to maintain a decent roster of Realtors at my brokerage. At one point I think I had 50 or so. No more. Good god I hated that aspect of the business. The turnover was insane & the miss appropriation of time & resources was enough to make you want to smash your head into a wall.

Too many Realtors think that other Realtors are their friends & that part of the job is to network with other Realtors. In reality that is the furthest thing from the truth. One Realtor who used to work at my firm, this girl bless her heart I see her social media feed & every week it's something ridiculous that she is doing. Dancing with the Realtors, Realtor Prom, Realtor mixers & some random Realtor networking event where the only people there are other Realtors.

Guys if their is a room full of Realtors & you are a Realtor you DO NOT want to be in that room. You want to be in a room with potential clients. Same thing we have here. Your job is to find buyers & sellers. Do that & nothing else.

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Architect · Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2018 · 843 posts · 907 votes
    7y

    If you havent picked it up already, you have to be careful and strategic on who and how you help people out. Theres a thin line between being professionally friendly to your competition and training your competition. You don't want to be off-putting that come away thinking your an a-hole but you can't be giving info away like your a professor (a professor who isn't even getting paid to teach). There nothing wrong with giving them a polite & professional response of telling them you don't give away free information and suggesting where they can start looking, especially if they are only looking for hand-outs and not bring something to the table. 

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock:

    When I first got into the business, most every older landlord tried to discourage me from getting into rental properties. Many people have scarcity mentality. They believe that if others succeed, it will hurt their own success. Nothing could be further from the truth. One of my favorite Zig Ziglar quotes, "You will get all you want in life, if you help enough others get what they want." 

    I get contacted by local investors looking for help or advice in getting started. I always offer suggestions and help. My wife asked me why I was helping the competition (sound familiar). What I found is that none of the people I offered help to ever even purchased a rental property. 

    The defining factor of success is not knowledge, but rather action. That "competitor" will succeed with or without you (or fail with or without you). Wouldn't you rather have a competitor who respects you and works with you? 

    If you help people, they help you. It is that simple.

    JOe I agree with you if this is simply buying rental properties..  as that knowledge is well known to most anyone who takes a little time to read and talk to good brokers or other investors..  what I think the MOthers point was they probably have some specific methods for the acquisitions that she simply did not want to share.. And for normal networking and buying rentals its a big wide world out there.

    I guess if they have some super proprietary system, I can see some concern. You can put limits in what you share and be upfront about it. Or if it becomes time demanding, then some limits are necessary. He said this person was already an investor and someone he wanted to enter into a mastermind group with. If you are looking to build a relationship like that, it seems sharing knowledge is necessary and beneficial. 

    Ultimately there is very little "secret sauce" in any business at this point. Information on how to do things is not a barrier to anyone. Look at the volumes of information available on BP and every day people ask the same questions over and over again. Taking action, managing risk, problem solving, resourcefulness, networking and creativity are the factors that define a successful business. Those things are hard to learn while shadowing someone. Even after a business is up and running, good reputation, time in business and scale favor the established business.

    Jay you could write a detailed book on how you achieved success. You could create operational manuals for your entire business. You could pass over your entire contact list. You could even provide seed money for someone to get started. Even with all those things, the majority of people would never be able to emulate your success. Most would lose every penny and go bankrupt. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs@Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock@Joe Splitrock:

    When I first got into the business, most every older landlord tried to discourage me from getting into rental properties. Many people have scarcity mentality. They believe that if others succeed, it will hurt their own success. Nothing could be further from the truth. One of my favorite Zig Ziglar quotes, "You will get all you want in life, if you help enough others get what they want." 

    I get contacted by local investors looking for help or advice in getting started. I always offer suggestions and help. My wife asked me why I was helping the competition (sound familiar). What I found is that none of the people I offered help to ever even purchased a rental property. 

    The defining factor of success is not knowledge, but rather action. That "competitor" will succeed with or without you (or fail with or without you). Wouldn't you rather have a competitor who respects you and works with you? 

    If you help people, they help you. It is that simple.

    JOe I agree with you if this is simply buying rental properties..  as that knowledge is well known to most anyone who takes a little time to read and talk to good brokers or other investors..  what I think the MOthers point was they probably have some specific methods for the acquisitions that she simply did not want to share.. And for normal networking and buying rentals its a big wide world out there.

    I guess if they have some super proprietary system, I can see some concern. You can put limits in what you share and be upfront about it. Or if it becomes time demanding, then some limits are necessary. He said this person was already an investor and someone he wanted to enter into a mastermind group with. If you are looking to build a relationship like that, it seems sharing knowledge is necessary and beneficial. 

    Ultimately there is very little "secret sauce" in any business at this point. Information on how to do things is not a barrier to anyone. Look at the volumes of information available on BP and every day people ask the same questions over and over again. Taking action, managing risk, problem solving, resourcefulness, networking and creativity are the factors that define a successful business. Those things are hard to learn while shadowing someone. Even after a business is up and running, good reputation, time in business and scale favor the established business.

    Jay you could write a detailed book on how you achieved success. You could create operational manuals for your entire business. You could pass over your entire contact list. You could even provide seed money for someone to get started. Even with all those things, the majority of people would never be able to emulate your success. Most would lose every penny and go bankrupt. 

    Well  not sure about all that..  I took the original post like they did have something unique they were doing and MOM was mad that son would divulge it..  as it relates to BP I have on this forum talked in detail of how I have done many of my deals over the years.. so yes your right there are few arrows I leave in the quiver but in general I have no problem discussing details.. 

  • Specialist · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2012 · 865 posts · 351 votes
    7y

    The original poster went dark it seems, but IF mom is part of his business he Does owe her respect and her thoughts are important. Driving for dollars is not a key secret per say, however laying out your business model in an easy to understand way to your local competition is questionable and if your business partner is not comfortable with it you should respect that.

     McDonalds is not holding hands with Burger King and offering their vender list.

    This is called conflict of interest. I have local investors ask me about my marketing and I politely let them know it would be a conflict of interest.

    There’s a big well known trainer here that I tried to hook up with in my local market that told me if I was in Dallas or somewhere else he would help me, but not here. ( I did lots of deals since then.) 

    Another well known trainer/ investor local will train you for 5k... train newbies to be his bird dogs and bring him leads and deals. He teaches just enough for newbies to not know how to complete the deal without him. 

  • Rental Property Investor · TN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    So many people writing about teams and working together, networking.  

    But it seems to me that your focus should be first, always, on your internal team.  Family and business partners should always come first.  

    If you are a sole proprietor, then marry the devil, its only your business.  

    However, if you are in a family business or have some formal partnership with another then really, making them comfortable and ok with what you are doing should come before any other relationships you wish to develop professionally.

    Your internal team should have the discussion about who you share with, what exactly you share, what is business confidential, what is public information.  One member of the internal team should not make this decision in isolation.

    One should first and always build the internal, permanent team.  Outside potential relationships are way down the list.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.