Meetup group in the Central Valley

Meetup group in the Central Valley

Realtor · Fresno, CA · Member since 2013 · 471 posts · 225 votes

I was wondering if anybody would interested in joining a Bigger Pockets meetup group here in the Central Valley -  Specifically Fresno - I am surprised to see that there are very so few Bigger Pockets meetup groups around the country and would really like to start one locally up so we can get some like minded thinkers under the same roof at the same time.  

I am also trying to determine the best days and times to hold the meetings - many meetings I have seen held at night don't have as much participation cause members prefer to stay home with family in the evening -  except maybe on a Friday night - so looking for ideas of what time frame works best - typically , I prefer to have a lunch meeting so everyone is already  out and about , and it doesn't interfere with family time and typically have larger turn outs.  

If anyone in the area is interested, please let me know - I have been to a few investor groups in the past , but they only happen once a month and in the evening - I am looking to start up something during the day and have weekly get togethers where we can talk about whats new on the market , talk to local hard money lenders and builders, and just create an environment where investors can share ideas and resources. Raise your hand if you think you would be interested in showing up to a meeting like this. 

0Reply
68 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 94 posts · 73 votes
10y

I don't want to hijack this thread but I just closed on a SFR on 1/2 acre in Kingsburg that will not have a renter until Dec 1. I'm open for hosting a totally informal BBQ at the house, BYOB and BYO chair too. I'll cook the meat, price of entry is bringing a side dish. Only date I can do is Sat, Nov 7th though. We could meet and discuss this more long term meet up that Jay is proposing.

See this reply in the discussion

38 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • North Hollywood, CA · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 7 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Anmmar Alsaggaf:

    Sorry I tried to reply from my phone Friday but it did not go though. I PMd you.

    Bit Wise - I contacted them twice with no response from the lady who books the room I will try again today. 

    Fresno State - Costs money so that is a no no. 

     Hey Anmmar, I've done a few meeting with Bitwise (the location is actually called HASHTAG) before, so I can chime in with some details. The location is on Wishon, just north of Olive and the Tower District. It costs $10 per person for a daily pass if you're not already a member, and to use the conference room, it's $20 for the first hour and $10 for every hour after that. The conference room cost covers the whole group.

    Of course, you can always try to just take the conference room, but if somebody else has it reserved, you'll have to surrender it.

    In any case, that might be something you'd want to try out. Another suggestion that might work would be Yosemite Falls Cafe on Shaw/Blackstone.

  • Realtor · Fresno, CA · Member since 2013 · 471 posts · 225 votes
    10y

    @ Daniel & Anmmar - that actually doesn't sound that bad - if this group continues to grow at its current pace - we may need to consider a larger venue -even if it cost to use it - $20 is very reasonable to use it for an hour - but what are the fees to be member? Thanks for the info - this may be worth looking into - of course we will have to brown bag it if we go with a venue like this -but what's important is the content of the meetup,  so with enough people, and enough quality content - I don't think too many Deal Seekers will care if there is food or not - I already have had some members mention that they are not interested in paying for expensive lunches just to sit in on the meeting so it is something to take into consideration. Thanks for looking into it guys!

  • Real Estate Professional · Fresno, CA · Member since 2014 · 19 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    I know I am resurrecting an old thread but would this group be good for a newbie looking to gain knowledge and get involved on a low scale?

  • Realtor · Fresno, CA · Member since 2013 · 471 posts · 225 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Sean Monahan:

    I know I am resurrecting an old thread but would this group be good for a newbie looking to gain knowledge and get involved on a low scale?

     Absolutely Sean! Heck - even I still gain some knowledge at each meetup. We have members who have never purchased a property yet and some members who already own several multifamily investments and everything in between. This group has 3 primary functions - to network with others - to gain more knowledge about real estate investing - and to put that knowledge to work with actionable steps. I think you could benefit from attending if nothing more than to get inspired by what is possible right here in Fresno and to see that you are not alone and that you have resources at your disposal. Please do join the group and show up at the next meetup - I think you would enjoy it.  - Jay

  • Rental Property Investor · Visalia, CA · Member since 2014 · 64 posts · 4 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jay Orlauski:

    Jay, when is the next meeting?

  • Realtor · Fresno, CA · Member since 2013 · 471 posts · 225 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Nathan Richmond:
    Originally posted by @Jay Orlauski:

    Jay, when is the next meeting?

     Hi Nathan! - great question.  - actually - I am about to send some updates to the group , but since you asked , I'll give you the skinny. Just found out yesterday that the BitWise HashTag building that I want to hold the meetups in will actually be open by next week - but they cannot BOOK anything yet until their booking system is in place - which will be next week .. so I'm calling her back on tues day to confirm a meetup space - I was planning to start advertising the next meetup yesterday, but the presenter doing the talk is out of town till the 11th so I wasn't able to get her confirmation  - I will be talking to my other point of contact there today to verify that we will have somebody  to present to us - sooooo long story short - I'm shooting for a meetup on Thurs. Jan 21st - now, I know that weekdays aren't particular good you specifically cause of your work schedule and location - but I wanted to set a weekday meeting for the convenience of the Title company who isn't open on Saturdays. Going forward, we will alternate the meetups to so that one week is on Saturday - the next week is on Thursday - and so forth - so two meetups on a Thursday and two meetups on a Saturday - this way members can still attend when it's most convenient. You should receive an update soon about the next meetup. The ext Saturday meetup will be Jan 30th. Hope to see you there! - Jay

  • Rental Property Investor · Visalia, CA · Member since 2014 · 64 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    @Jay Orlauski Thanks Jay.  I was bummed about missing the meeting on the 19th.  How did that one go with the presenter?

  • Realtor · Fresno, CA · Member since 2013 · 471 posts · 225 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Nathan Richmond:

    @Jay Orlauski Thanks Jay.  I was bummed about missing the meeting on the 19th.  How did that one go with the presenter?

     It was great. Even though it was raining pretty hard, we still had a good turnout - John Hughes from Socotra Capital came and talked to us about using hard money and answered a lot of questions and cleared up some misconceptions. He really liked our group and in fact is going to help sponsor us - so we have out first sponsor now! - Also - we plan to have him come in at least once a quarter to talk to us so that members who missed him will get a chance to get some questions answered and also give him an opportunity to get to know us better and vice versa - so things are moving along well - I am really hoping that this year we can see some tangible results come out of this meetup. 

  • Elk Grove, CA · Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    I want to get a Sacramento Area group going for us Northern guys!
    I posted a thread and want to discuss leases first!   I’m sure we will all get something from it!

  • Investor · Elk Grove, CA · Member since 2020 · 15 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    Mark Beaty, that would be great to get a group started for Sacramento. I had found an REI group to join, but they aren't actually meeting. Even if a Zoom meeting is held, that would be great and when everyone is comfortable meeting in person again, we can transition over. I am brand new at REI and I have a lot to learn.

  • Elk Grove, CA · Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    I’m actually in East Elk Grove (by PG High)!  My house and my Rentals!

  • New to Real Estate · Fresno, CA · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    @Jay Orlauski have you set up a meeting already or are interested in setting up a small group meeting. I am an electrical contractor looking for new opportunities.

  • Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Jay Orlauski I just turned 18 and would be very eager to attend to get to know some local investors !

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.