New Investment Property in Jacksonville - Question on HVAC

New Investment Property in Jacksonville - Question on HVAC

Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes

Hello Biggerpockets family 

I am closing on a property in Jacksonville later this month.

I have a question regarding the Heating / Cooling of the house.

This property was built in 1942 and this property does not currently have Heating / Cooling.
From my understanding, homes built during this time, it was normal not to have any cooling system. People would cool the house with Air Conditioner and Fans.
There is no furnace / heating - is this normal? Maybe it is so hot in Jacksonville all year round that heating is not required?
Are you investors having a heating system in your investment properties?
Have anyone put in cooling into a house this old - What was your cost and did you feel it was worth it?

Any and all help is much appreciated

1Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2018 · 74 posts · 60 votes
6y

If the house has never had central AC, it won’t have any duct work, so something you may consider is going with a mini split system. It’s at least worth talking to the HVAC contractor about. 

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    In most places heating is required for a dwelling to be considered habitable, and you'll probably get a lot better tenants if you have AC in Jacksonville as well to mention that it should help keep mold at bay better than nothing, If I were you I'd cough up the money to put in a new HVAC system.

  • Gary SiverPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Orange Park, FL · Member since 2014 · 180 posts · 83 votes
    6y

    @Basit Siddiqi It has to have a source of heat. It gets cold in the winter here.  They probably have window a/c units that also have the heat function built into them. 

  • Nick ScapellatiPro Member
    Lender · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2019 · 58 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    Basit I agree what the others have mentioned. Summers are brutal so air conditioning is a must and though the winter only has two to three cold moths heat is necessary. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Basit Siddiqi I have used a small, Jacksonville based HVAC company a few times in the past (2 complete units in 2 different houses) and found him reasonably priced and prompt even for weekend calls. I don’t know the rules of offering up references so PM me of you would like the owner’s name and number.

  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2018 · 74 posts · 60 votes
    6y

    If the house has never had central AC, it won’t have any duct work, so something you may consider is going with a mini split system. It’s at least worth talking to the HVAC contractor about. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2019 · 32 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    i just recently purchased a duplex which had central AC on one side and window AC/Heat units on the other side with no previous duct work. The mini split system will most likely be your best bet since they're ductless systems and can be installed for a lot cheaper than central AC units with duct work. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2008 · 784 posts · 528 votes
    6y

    @Basit Siddiqi I just spent $6250 for a Trane XL14 and new duct work for an investment house in Murray Hill. It was worth it to me because a new unit with new duct work should not leak and the new system was installed in the attic, out of the way. 

    I don't like split systems, I don't think they last as long as a good quality unit. You can get the Trane unit from my contractor at Cool-R-Us, as well as the duct work. Its a good investment as the Trane units last a long time and provide solid value for a property. Ask them about the split systems and about financing the project too. 

    You are going to need a good solid system, as it does get cold, down to the 30s some nights in NE FLorida. You do not want space heaters in your property and you want to educate people on Emergency Heat so their JEA bills do not go through the roof. A new good system should be more efficient and a good solution to find good tenants. Window units are just not efficient enough and not what I would recommend. 

    Best of luck to you! - Jack 

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    OP
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Gary Siver:

    @Basit Siddiqi It has to have a source of heat. It gets cold in the winter here.  They probably have window a/c units that also have the heat function built into them. 

    Gary - Thank you for your response.
    Currently in the house are windows that have a place to put an air conditioner unit. 
    Do you have properties in Florida where you just have an air conditioner that provides both heat and cold without any central cooling system?

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    OP
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Nick Scapellati:

    Basit I agree what the others have mentioned. Summers are brutal so air conditioning is a must and though the winter only has two to three cold moths heat is necessary. 

    Hi Nick - Thank you for your response.

    I plan to place Air conditioner units to provide cold air. This is not a big expense for me.
    What are your suggestions for heating if there is no duct work done in the house at the moment?

  • Gary SiverPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Orange Park, FL · Member since 2014 · 180 posts · 83 votes
    6y

    @Basit Siddiqi I personally don’t have any rental units. But I have worked on numerous rental properties for investors that have window units in them with heating and cooling functions. 

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    OP
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Michael Bowen:

    @Basit Siddiqi I have used a small, Jacksonville based HVAC company a few times in the past (2 complete units in 2 different houses) and found him reasonably priced and prompt even for weekend calls. I don’t know the rules of offering up references so PM me of you would like the owner’s name and number.

    Hi Michael - I sent you a private message asking for the reference. Thank you!

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    OP
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    I decided to add a mini-split system into this house.

    Does anyone have a recommendation for an HVAC company to add a mini-split system in Jacksonville?

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    OP
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    I decided to go with the mini-split system for a rental property in Jacksonville and a company quoted me $18,000!
    Is this the average price? This amount seems like a lot.

    My house is 2 stories and is 1468 square feet. The technician mentioned to me that I would need 6 connections - 3 upstairs and 3 down stairs. I was thinking maybe this is overkill considering this is a 3/1.

    For those that got a mini-split system - how much did you pay?

  • Rental Property Investor · Hot Springs, AR · Member since 2017 · 37 posts · 23 votes
    6y
    Hi Basit,
    That $18k quote for 6 minitsplits is steep. I have a property where I installed 4 minisplits for $5,200. I went online & bought 4 Pioneer mini splits myself for $650 each. And my HVAC guy charged me about $600 to install each one. 3 of the minisplits were easy for him to install because they were at ground level. The last minisplit installation cost a little more because it required him to climb a ladder and run the hoses up exterior siding to the 2nd floor. Now this wasn't in Jax- it's for a multi family I have in Arkansas.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.