Real Estate Investor · Roland, AR · Member since 2013 · 3 posts · 0 votes
I am in the process of rehabbing a 1860 square foot, 4 bed/2 1/2 bath and will be changing out all the cabinets which give me the flexibility of installing a free standing range, or a drop in range, or separate cook top with built in wall oven. From a space standpoint it would be a bit tight with a separate cook top and built in wall oven but depending on the perceived value to buyers, I could make it work. From a space standpoint, I can easily do a free standing range or built in range. Is there a significant difference in perceived value in the different options? The kitchen will have all new appliances, new hardwood floors, granite counter tops, can lights added, etc. Thanks!
Real Estate Investor · Greenback, TN · Member since 2012 · 268 posts · 115 votes
12y
@Dave Daggett , I always install a free-standing range because of the enormous difference in price. I had a house earlier this year that had a drop-in stove top and wall mount range. The cabinets were decent so I decided not to replace them and opted to just replace the stove top and range. STICKER SHOCK!! The standard (black, glass top), new range that I install in all my houses costs me $425. The drop-in stove top and wall mount range that I put in this house cost over $1500!
I've never heard any preference from anyone for either type so I don't plan to EVER use the drop-in style again. I think the only exception would be if you had some kind of strange circumstance with the kitchen layout that made it absolutely necessary.....or just personal preference. Good luck!
Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 38 posts · 16 votes
12y
I currently have the same delima. 1500 for a wall oven and cooktop range verses 700 for a conventional stove. Also consider the added expense of cabinetry for the separate units. And the other issue is the power supply wiring for electric units. eg. the wiring is not heavy enough to replace a cooktop or wall oven (single wall oven anyway) with a conventional stove with oven.
Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2011 · 331 posts · 278 votes
12y
I certainly agree with the advice you've received here. Unless the market demands it, I would go with the free-standing range. The payback on the wall oven / cook top doesn't exist and you'd be better off putting the extra money into upgrades in other areas or into your wallet.
Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
12y
In our area, at a price range hitting 150K or so, the drop in is expected. At lower priced homes, under a 100K, free standing is works.
It also depends on the style of the kitchen and how well a free standing fits in, if you have higher end counter tops, granite I'd suggest drop ins.
It also depends on the quality of the appliance, having a GE drop in or a Vulcan free standing, the Vulcan will win over every time, IMO. Industrial grade free standing stoves are used in higher end homes.
At some price point in your market, appliances and fixtures move from function to status expectations. I'd suggest you hit the open houses in different price points and take note to appliance and fixture grades.
The advantage of a drop in is in the design flow of counter space and it being seamless to the counter, spills are easily cleaned up, spill something on the side of a free standing stove means a mess and moving the stove out. Moving hot stuff off is easier with a centered drop in, usually you can arrange more counter space to aid in cooking than an end counter arrangement with a free standing. But, you can have the standing stove centered or with cabinets on both sides as well, but you have the mess issue.
A wall oven means not having to stoop over to pull that 20 pound turkey out, much easier to work with. It does take up potential storage space or wall area.
I'd opt for the drop in and wall oven if space allows. I have found nice ones used, on CG, used appliance shops and hit up bath/kitchen remodel contracts, there is nothing wrong with used in some lightly up dated kitchens of 10 year old home as it's probably newer than what would have been there, just saying, used can work. Now, if your rehab looks like a new home inside, might go with new.
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
12y
I agree you will see a cost difference between a free standing stove and a drop in or separate setup, the freestanding is way cheaper. If your price point demands it then you need to do it, if not don't unless your cost including rewiring is comparable. You won't recoup the cost but it may be a selling feature. One difference people do really care about is a gas cooktop if natural gas is available in your area. You can sometimes pickup a second hand stove but in our area you need time to find one. Used appliances tend to be offered more in the lower end at least around here.
Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
12y
I doubt there is an isolated perceived difference in value if you are just talking about a stove vs a drop in range.
You have to look at the entire kitchen as a whole. If you have an older kitchen with white formica countertop and particle board cabinets, putting in a $6000 Vulcan or Wolf range will not make a big difference, if any it makes the whole kitchen look weird. If I see a Vulcan SS range I immediately expect a Subzero refrigerator and the rest of the appliance to be top lined.
Functionally, I think the time I would consider a wall oven is when you need two of them, or you want a wall oven and a high end microwave to be together because you don't want a standalone microwave to clutter up your counter space, and you don't want to mount one over your range because you have that 36" Wolf exhaust fan to show off.
Is it gas? Gas ones may have special venting requirements.
If you have a kitchen island then a drop in cook top is a must if you want your heat source on the island. Many people opted to put the cook top on the island instead of a sink because a sink requires special venting via a Chicago loop since most people do not want to see a vent pipe sticking up from their island through the roof. But be mindful I have seen a few families dismissed a cook top in a kitchen island due to potential hazards - "I don't want my daughter to be doing homework on the island and rest her elbow on the halogen cook top 3 seconds too long".
Personally I prefer free standing because it makes things more modular. The only functional advantage to the drop in would be not having the sliver of space on either sides of the range for dirt and spilled sauce to drip down to.