Seen this pop up on several “top 10 trends going out of style in 2022” type articles. It cites Covid work from home as the reason, where people desire more privacy now.
Personally I’m having a hard time coming up with Cons, and that the Pros greatly outweigh them. Mainly being able to cook and clean the kitchen without missing out on the game or movie. Especially for parents who need to cook and don’t want to feel left out, while also making sure that their toddler isn’t running around with a butter knife and trying to stick it in electrical sockets. Open floor plans generally feel larger too.
Does anyone actually see the open floor plan trend going in the other direction, back towards the mid century era of dark closed off living spaces?
I doubt that this particular trend ever goes away, it just makes too much sense. Almost every remodel I did for decades involved opening up the main living space. The closed concept dates back to times where maids, servants and women were expected to stay out of sight and do all the cooking and cleaning, Those days are long gone....and people really enjoy being able to cook and talk to family or friends at the same time...whether or not they entertain much...
EXACTLY hubbys just along for the ride.
I prefer my ride to be smooth and happy, so I do the exact same! Plus, it's obvious my wife has better taste than me... she often reminds me in case I forget. 🤣
Anyone who has sold real estate for any length of time will understand who makes the major decisions .. its very rare for a hubby to go against a wife . It happens of course but its the exception not the rule.
EXACTLY hubbys just along for the ride.
I prefer my ride to be smooth and happy, so I do the exact same! Plus, it's obvious my wife has better taste than me... she often reminds me in case I forget. 🤣
Anyone who has sold real estate for any length of time will understand who makes the major decisions .. its very rare for a hubby to go against a wife . It happens of course but its the exception not the rule.
I would never NOT live in a house with an open floor plan so I pretty much disagree with everything @Charles Clark is saying. I have a contemporary single story home with an open floor plan that has large windows on three sides, 2 sets of sliding doors going to separate patios, 20' ceilings and skylights. All this glass makes it so the interior space is contiguous with the exterior space. It is very bright. Segregated houses tend to have small windows and each room has 2-3 walls with no windows at all. The rooms are lit with table lamps and flashlights. Dining rooms are a complete waste of space and are typically used to store stacks of news papers and old computers that don't work. Since there are so many interior walls, one feels obligated to load each room with a bunch of furniture and tiny pieces of art that will fit on the tiny little walls. The kitchen--don't get me started. The idea of being confined to a space that is totally isolated from the rest of the house sounds awful. Don't you want to interact with anyone while you are cooking? Usually, almost always, when one of us are cooking, the other(s) will come out with their laptops and work on the dining table so we can interact. I personally like nice kitchens.
We throw many parties per year (we're pretty cool people). We don't have little clumps of people separated into a bunch of isolated rooms that can't be navigated. All our clumps of people are scattered around a single open space so you can see everyone and don't forget who is there. Moving around between kitchen, dining room atrium, kitchen so each person interacts with more people than they would if they were confined in separate rooms.
Regarding privacy, the bedrooms and office have doors. Oh yeah--the bathrooms have doors , too.
Yes, but that is not really what I mean by privacy. Obviously anyone can retreat to their bedroom, but as bedrooms are often setup for sleeping and minimal other activity they usually lack the space and furnishings to make a good hangout for older kids or parents. What is more desirable is something like a separate loft, finished basement, etc. My point is that having only 1 interconnected space for any kind of socializing is uninteresting to me. Personally, I would rather have a separate office/library for quiet work, a formal living room for entertaining, and maybe a family room for games and to let the kids play in.
Forgive me commenting on a 2 year old thread, but now that people are largely no longer quarantining, I am still interested in the answer to this question. For me personally, and the impression I get from listings in multiple areas across the eastern and southern areas, and open floor plan is still very desirable… but I understand how the long narrow house on the long narrow plot with a kitchen at one end and all the “rooms” in a long line… well, I just think it looks awful.
That being said, I am actually on both sides of this question, really. In a modern house without any character, I think it is beneficial to have a mostly open concept for public rooms, Of course if there is room for a living room and a family room, one should be separate and more of a hangout space.
However, and I feel very strongly abut this, if you are dealing with, for example, a truly lovely craftsman house with loads of wood trim and character features, or a victorian house, or something else which is spacious enough to work as separate rooms and has a load of character, I feel it is a crime to erase all the walls, slap a coat of hideous grey paint on everything, and put in a glitzy-glammy colorless kitchen open to the majority of the first level. I have seen many a gorgeous historic home in fine condition be assaulted and battered in this manner in the more chic and expensive areas near me, and it is something done usually by a contractor who has no architectural literacy about these styles. Unfortunately, it is usually irreversible, because that high level of trim work and materials is so expensive.
I own a house that used to back to a brook. I was upset when developers came in and put houses in the backyards of the houses on either side of me, facing but not in any way designed to take advantage of the view of the brook, and then put a road between me and the brook and park. My feeling is, if I wanted a house that backed to a park that is what I bought, and if other people wanted a house on a road, they should buy one and not destroy the neighborhood to put in yet another “luxury” cookie cutter house.
I feel the same way about homes that are perfectly wonderful and function beautifully with separate rooms that have tons of character. If you want to live in one, buy one and live in it. If you don’t like that kind of house, buy a different house, don’t destroy a frankly better quality home to follow a trend when there are brand-new and not-so-new houses that will give you what you want without killing it!
That all being said, I really don’t think open concepts or great rooms where the kitchen, living, and dining areas are either wide open or visually connected is going away at all. If there is a separate family room, great. If not, my experiences with designing for families is that once kids are teens they retreat to their bedrooms on their phones, and only come out for pizza, so don’t worry about a “family space that includes teens.” Yes, noise does carry through these spaces, so watching tv and quiet reading or studying or working can be an issue, but not an insurmountable one. Plus, if you’ve ever read the three “Not So Big House” books, you know that eliminating hallways between rooms means less WASTED space. Plus, it just looks damn good.
As for me, give me a “live-in kitchen” and I’m happy. That’s where I spend my time, and if I found a historic house I loved and decided to move to, I would change my living style to suit it, not the other way around.
Forgive me commenting on a 2 year old thread, but now that people are largely no longer quarantining, I am still interested in the answer to this question. For me personally, and the impression I get from listings in multiple areas across the eastern and southern areas, and open floor plan is still very desirable… but I understand how the long narrow house on the long narrow plot with a kitchen at one end and all the “rooms” in a long line… well, I just think it looks awful.
That being said, I am actually on both sides of this question, really. In a modern house without any character, I think it is beneficial to have a mostly open concept for public rooms, Of course if there is room for a living room and a family room, one should be separate and more of a hangout space.
However, and I feel very strongly abut this, if you are dealing with, for example, a truly lovely craftsman house with loads of wood trim and character features, or a victorian house, or something else which is spacious enough to work as separate rooms and has a load of character, I feel it is a crime to erase all the walls, slap a coat of hideous grey paint on everything, and put in a glitzy-glammy colorless kitchen open to the majority of the first level. I have seen many a gorgeous historic home in fine condition be assaulted and battered in this manner in the more chic and expensive areas near me, and it is something done usually by a contractor who has no architectural literacy about these styles. Unfortunately, it is usually irreversible, because that high level of trim work and materials is so expensive.
I own a house that used to back to a brook. I was upset when developers came in and put houses in the backyards of the houses on either side of me, facing but not in any way designed to take advantage of the view of the brook, and then put a road between me and the brook and park. My feeling is, if I wanted a house that backed to a park that is what I bought, and if other people wanted a house on a road, they should buy one and not destroy the neighborhood to put in yet another “luxury” cookie cutter house.
I feel the same way about homes that are perfectly wonderful and function beautifully with separate rooms that have tons of character. If you want to live in one, buy one and live in it. If you don’t like that kind of house, buy a different house, don’t destroy a frankly better quality home to follow a trend when there are brand-new and not-so-new houses that will give you what you want without killing it!
That all being said, I really don’t think open concepts or great rooms where the kitchen, living, and dining areas are either wide open or visually connected is going away at all. If there is a separate family room, great. If not, my experiences with designing for families is that once kids are teens they retreat to their bedrooms on their phones, and only come out for pizza, so don’t worry about a “family space that includes teens.” Yes, noise does carry through these spaces, so watching tv and quiet reading or studying or working can be an issue, but not an insurmountable one. Plus, if you’ve ever read the three “Not So Big House” books, you know that eliminating hallways between rooms means less WASTED space. Plus, it just looks damn good.
As for me, give me a “live-in kitchen” and I’m happy. That’s where I spend my time, and if I found a historic house I loved and decided to move to, I would change my living style to suit it, not the other way around.
Im still blowing out common walls on flips, huge value especially on smaller houses. Eichler was correct (although his houses suck). Husbands still look at neighborhood, property taxes, school districts and of course the garage lol. Wives look at kitchen and master baths. Set up camera's during showings and listen to what shoppers say
Im still blowing out common walls on flips, huge value especially on smaller houses. Eichler was correct (although his houses suck). Husbands still look at neighborhood, property taxes, school districts and of course the garage lol. Wives look at kitchen and master baths. Set up camera's during showings and listen to what shoppers say
Im still blowing out common walls on flips, huge value especially on smaller houses. Eichler was correct (although his houses suck). Husbands still look at neighborhood, property taxes, school districts and of course the garage lol. Wives look at kitchen and master baths. Set up camera's during showings and listen to what shoppers say
The other popular open floor plan was American Standard
Im still blowing out common walls on flips, huge value especially on smaller houses. Eichler was correct (although his houses suck). Husbands still look at neighborhood, property taxes, school districts and of course the garage lol. Wives look at kitchen and master baths. Set up camera's during showings and listen to what shoppers say
The other popular open floor plan was American Standard
Im still blowing out common walls on flips, huge value especially on smaller houses. Eichler was correct (although his houses suck). Husbands still look at neighborhood, property taxes, school districts and of course the garage lol. Wives look at kitchen and master baths. Set up camera's during showings and listen to what shoppers say
The other popular open floor plan was American Standard
I know, I've remodeled dozens. PA is especially interesting, south side of Waverly with Eichlers at 2 mil lol.
Fun fact; fire departments call eichlers a "box of matches" lol.
One of my favorite value adds are blowing out common walls on old VA homes in the South Bay. 1100 sq ft 4 bds. Cambrian, Burbank etc
Im still blowing out common walls on flips, huge value especially on smaller houses. Eichler was correct (although his houses suck). Husbands still look at neighborhood, property taxes, school districts and of course the garage lol. Wives look at kitchen and master baths. Set up camera's during showings and listen to what shoppers say
The other popular open floor plan was American Standard
I know, I've remodeled dozens. PA is especially interesting, south side of Waverly with Eichlers at 2 mil lol.
Fun fact; fire departments call eichlers a "box of matches" lol.
One of my favorite value adds are blowing out common walls on old VA homes in the South Bay. 1100 sq ft 4 bds. Cambrian, Burbank etc
Im still blowing out common walls on flips, huge value especially on smaller houses. Eichler was correct (although his houses suck). Husbands still look at neighborhood, property taxes, school districts and of course the garage lol. Wives look at kitchen and master baths. Set up camera's during showings and listen to what shoppers say
The other popular open floor plan was American Standard
I know, I've remodeled dozens. PA is especially interesting, south side of Waverly with Eichlers at 2 mil lol.
Fun fact; fire departments call eichlers a "box of matches" lol.
One of my favorite value adds are blowing out common walls on old VA homes in the South Bay. 1100 sq ft 4 bds. Cambrian, Burbank etc
Lol, yeah I'm probably out of touch on PA. FWIW my kids went to prospect, I went to Camden. There were some fast cars from guys at Cupertino high, good days
However, and I feel very strongly abut this, if you are dealing with, for example, a truly lovely craftsman house with loads of wood trim and character features, or a victorian house, or something else which is spacious enough to work as separate rooms and has a load of character, I feel it is a crime to erase all the walls, slap a coat of hideous grey paint on everything, and put in a glitzy-glammy colorless kitchen open to the majority of the first level.
But it can be done in such a way as to improve even a gorgeous old house. I remodeled many old Craftsman houses in an exclusive little beach town in SoCal.....Every single one went from closed-off to open concept and ended up looking better. It does take a great Architect and Contractor though......