Roofing estimates: are my expectations too high?

Roofing estimates: are my expectations too high?

Pitman, NJ · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 1 vote

I purchased a duplex in June in the South Jersey area to house hack with the expectation that the roof would need to be fully replaced, including decking. I also have a dead chimney that I want to be brought below the roofline. It's a 2 story building (~2500 sq. ft.), approx. 25 squares and would require ~70 sheets of plywood based on an estimate that I was provided. The existing decking is cedar wood that would need to be disposed. Nothing extraordinary about the sloping or structure of the roof.

I've received two estimates that were both north of $30k; I was anticipating $20k on the high end. To further complicate things, the two companies that have provided estimates, and a third that I attempted to book for an estimate, have flat out refused to provide a breakout of the total cost. Not even what they'd be charging for plywood.

Is this common practice to refuse providing line item estimates? I've had a roof replaced in the past, but it was 1/4 of the cost of what I'm being quoted, so I didn't inquire as much about cost breakout. I understand that they need to make money and I don't mind paying if it can be justified, but I'm having a hard time reconciling the cost with the amount of work that's required. My CPA also advised that I should be requesting itemized invoices for any work done, but these companies only want to provide scope of work and slap total price at the bottom of the page, so my concern is that I could be getting gouged on materials.

Wanted to ask for opinions on reasonable expectations for what's provided on an estimate, especially considering the price range I'm being quoted.

Thank you.


0Reply
113 views

Most Popular Reply

JD MartinBusiness Member
Moderator
Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
3y

I think in the last 7 or 8 years I've done 12 roofs with 4 different contractors. Not one provided a line item breakdown of materials and labor. Job price only, all materials & labor included. The cushion is either their bonus for being good at estimating and getting the work done fast or their loss for missing things on the walk around. Every contractor I've used has walked the entire roof, where they're looking for soft spots, extra flashing work, intrusions (pipe boots, chimneys, skylights, etc), and the like. 

The only way you know if it's a good price is to get experience and bids. If all the professional bids you get are within 10% of each other you know that's your local going rate. If they are all over creation you need to do more investigative work.

Skyline Properties
View Page
See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Pitman, NJ · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @JD Martin:

    I think in the last 7 or 8 years I've done 12 roofs with 4 different contractors. Not one provided a line item breakdown of materials and labor. Job price only, all materials & labor included. The cushion is either their bonus for being good at estimating and getting the work done fast or their loss for missing things on the walk around. Every contractor I've used has walked the entire roof, where they're looking for soft spots, extra flashing work, intrusions (pipe boots, chimneys, skylights, etc), and the like. 

    The only way you know if it's a good price is to get experience and bids. If all the professional bids you get are within 10% of each other you know that's your local going rate. If they are all over creation you need to do more investigative work.

     Thank you for your input! @JD Martin

  • Pitman, NJ · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    @Daniel Lempa You gotten good info, I just wanted to chime in with @Ryan Normand

    Why do you really care what they are paying/charging for plywood? It has no relevance.

    Do not expect any Contractor to give you a breakdown of pricing. Just find a good, fair price with a Contractor who is properly licensed/bonded/insured with good references. That is all that you need to know. And DO NOT pick the lowest price you find, that never ends well.

    @Bruce Woodruff Thank you for your input, your point is taken but hear me out. I don't care what they're paying for plywood, I care what I'm paying for plywood. I think that's extremely relevant when I need a full decking replacement and a small price difference amounts to thousands of dollars for my bottom line. 

    My dilemma is determining what is a fair price, and with the estimates that I've received, I have zero basis for comparison except total price. If the next contractor comes along and says $20k, how do I know if he's lowballing/low quality or if the others were overcharging because it was a job they didn't really want to do? I can't make an educated decision if I don't know at least at a high level where the money I'm charged is being allocated. A little bit of transparency would go a long way with earning my trust and my business.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Daniel Lempa:

    You are not getting it. It does not matter what they pay for plywood or how much they mark it up to you. It does not matter if they pay their employees an extra $5 hr. 

    All that matters is that 1) they are licensed/bonded/insured (WC & Liability) 2) They have the experience to do an Industry standard acceptable, or better, job.

    That is all that matters. Plus I guess it would be nice if you were thrilled with the price but that ain't gonna happen....you are a micro manager and feel some need for more facts than you should ever care about. But carry on, do it your way. You will almost never get a great quality job for a fair price...

  • Pitman, NJ · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    All that matters is that 1) they are licensed/bonded/insured (WC & Liability) 2) They have the experience to do an Industry standard acceptable, or better, job.

    That is all that matters. Plus I guess it would be nice if you were thrilled with the price but that ain't gonna happen....you are a micro manager and feel some need for more facts than you should ever care about. But carry on, do it your way. You will almost never get a great quality job for a fair price...

    The dismissive attitude and name-calling isn't lending credibility to your response or to contractors in general, but I'll take what you said into consideration.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Daniel Lempa:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    All that matters is that 1) they are licensed/bonded/insured (WC & Liability) 2) They have the experience to do an Industry standard acceptable, or better, job.

    That is all that matters. Plus I guess it would be nice if you were thrilled with the price but that ain't gonna happen....you are a micro manager and feel some need for more facts than you should ever care about. But carry on, do it your way. You will almost never get a great quality job for a fair price...

    The dismissive attitude and name-calling isn't lending credibility to your response or to contractors in general, but I'll take what you said into consideration.


    Sorry dude, I meant no offense by the term 'micro-manager' if that's what bothered you? Just an opinion I gathered from your comments and having dealt with thousands of customers. My apologies if I was off...... :-)

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Haymarket · Member since 2022 · 76 posts · 70 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Daniel Lempa:
    Quote from @Dan White:

    I don't think it is a materials breakdown like nails, shingles, felt, etc.

    I think the biggest question you have is if the price is fair...maybe.

    The cedar wood you talk about is cedar shake shingles? Or cedar planks for roof support?

    Disposing of cedar shakes are labor intensive and has high dump fees. If it is cedar planks for decking, you must replace everything with plywood to support new shingles. Again, labor intensive.

    I did roofing for 7 years and it is a pretty common request to breakdown into shingle install price and plywood install price...takes 5 minutes.

    The SOW will have tearoff and replace shingles (Price) this includes their materials, labor and profit included...not broken down, just a total.

    Plywood Replacement (Price) same as before, total price for materials, labor, and profit...not broken down, just a total.

    Chimney work (Price)

    Keep looking around.

    Thanks for the suggestions @Dan White! You're right, it's more about wanting to feel confident that I'm getting a fair price and that I'm not just being charged a 500% markup on materials. I've had that happen for small repairs for other items, so it gives me chills thinking that could be happening on a much larger scale. 

    Are you suggesting that it's more reasonable to ask for a total (which includes materials, labor, profit) for each "phase" of the project ? i.e. X amount for tearoff and re-decking, x amount for chimney, x amount for shingle replacement.


     I think at the end of the day - getting multiple quotes is a good practice especially on high ticket items. Make sure to compare apples to apples on shingles and the overall scope of work.

    If the chimney is optional for you - ask for a price for that separate. 

    If the contractors just want to give a lump sum price for everything, that is fine too. Just make sure that have the same scope of work.

    As mentioned earlier, the important thing is the licensed and insured part. Make sure everyone is legit.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.