Do renters like carpet or LVP for their bedrooms?

Most Popular Reply

Contractor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y

Personally, I don't care which one they prefer, I'm not replacing carpet and treating stains. I put lvp in all heated living area.

See this reply in the discussion

21 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Member since 2021 · 591 posts · 695 votes
    3y

    @Benjamin Furney I don't necessarily have an exact answer for you, but here are some considerations:

    First, whether people prefer LVP or carpet in a bedroom may depend on the quality of the LVP, and whether it's a style of LVP that fits a bedroom...some LVP is a stye that looks fine in a kitchen or bathroom, but it would look weird in a bedroom--the style has to look "normal" for a bedroom, and can't seem like it was made for some other area. Also, I think the lower the quality the LVP, the higher the chance it will look out of place in a bedroom--low quality LVP makes me think of mud rooms / utility spaces, and that's the LAST thing you want to bring to mind for a bedroom.

    On the other hand, a really high quality LVP in a style that's appropriate for a bedroom might be preferred over carpet. Many tenants would prefer hardwood in a bedroom over carpet, so if it's really high quality LVP that reminds tenants of hardwood, they might like that...

    Second; tenants' expectations probably play a role, and I think most tenants are more used to seeing carpet in bedrooms. Chances are, most previous places a tenant rented had carpeted bedrooms, so an LVP bedroom might be off-putting to those tenants (esp. if the style of the LVP isn't appropriate, or if it's low quality LVP)

    Lastly (and probably obviously) LVP will be less maintenance headache for you than carpet, and it will probably last longer than carpet.

    Good luck out there!

  • Contractor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Personally, I don't care which one they prefer, I'm not replacing carpet and treating stains. I put lvp in all heated living area.

    • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 2 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Allan Smith:

      Personally, I don't care which one they prefer, I'm not replacing carpet and treating stains. I put lvp in all heated living area.


      Can you share info on any specific brands or specs you prefer? For example, is 12 mil versus 20 mil a huge difference? I am leaning towards the gloom down because I have some click and lock that separated, and I also like the idea of being able to fix one or two planks that get damaged without having to pull up the whole floor. Have you tried the glue down?

    • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 2 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Allan Smith:

      Personally, I don't care which one they prefer, I'm not replacing carpet and treating stains. I put lvp in all heated living area.


      Can you share info on any specific brands or specs you prefer? For example, is 12 mil versus 20 mil a huge difference? I am leaning towards the gloom down because I have some click and lock that separated, and I also like the idea of being able to fix one or two planks that get damaged without having to pull up the whole floor. Have you tried the glue down?

    • Contractor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Sarah Buchanan:

       You want the "water proof" or water resistant stuff. It's a floating floor meaning it clicks together but does not glue down.I don't have a lot of data on the specs comparisons but generally I shoot for at least 5mm thick and 12mil

  • Rental Property Investor · Somewhere over the Rainbow · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Allan Smith:

    Personally, I don't care which one they prefer, I'm not replacing carpet and treating stains. I put lvp in all heated living area.


     This 100% - LVP will outlast carpet in every way

    It's better in every way...other than maybe soft on your feet...but that's why they make rugs

    I generally do stained cement on the entire house or LVP for a rental

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Families like carpet. 

  • Member since 2023 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Allan Smith:

    Personally, I don't care which one they prefer, I'm not replacing carpet and treating stains. I put lvp in all heated living area.

    I agree with this, especially if your property is being rented out to college kids (especially guys). I installed high quality LVP from Sam's Club in all the bedrooms of my home and it looks great! We bought rugs that each bed sits on and they come out 2 feet on both sides and from the foot of the bed. Looks great! When showing the property, you can suggest adding a rug to the bedroom to your prospective renter. I would definitely do LVP throughout the entire house/condo/apartment for a BRRR, flip, or long-term rental. Replacing carpet every year or two will eat into your profit.

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Benjamin Furney

    I think families with kids probably prefer carpet in bedrooms due to the softer surface. But whether it's LVP or carpet, I don't think most renters care as long as the interior is in good shape.

  • Real Estate Broker · Denver/Castle Pines/Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2021 · 248 posts · 136 votes
    3y

    I would generally say LVP, easier to clean, lasts longer, etc... The only con is sound transfer. If you are in a multifamily situation, it may be best to do LVP with a thick rug on top, LVP/hardwood makes a lot of noise. I am running into that problem now with investor clients who are planning to turn a house into a duplex. The LVP was already installed and makes a ton of noise. They plan to put a thick rug in the bedrooms to somewhat mitigate this. Good luck and let us know what you go with!

  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Benjamin Furney:

    Hello, I was wondering what renters typically like. Do they enjoy LVP or carpet for their bedrooms?


    Hi Benjamin, I'm a local investor and agent here in Columbus Ohio and have done plenty of BRRRRs and flips myself. When you are renovating a rental property, you want to go with finishes that are durable for long-term tenancy, which for flooring, I love LVP. Carpet gets stained and dirty very easily and I would hate having to clean or replace carpet for every tenant move out. As a local investor and agent here in Columbus, let me know if you have any more questions or want to connect!

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus | Toledo · Member since 2019 · 607 posts · 768 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Benjamin Furney:

    Hello, I was wondering what renters typically like. Do they enjoy LVP or carpet for their bedrooms?


     A beautiful home! Think about maintenance and turn overs when choosing materials. You want something that's durable and affordable. 

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    3y

    If you have a low quality tenant base or property go with the LVP every time. If you’ve got families or b grade properties go with carpet. It will pay for itself with reduced vacancy time. They’ll rent faster and any damage caused by furniture or wear and tear can be fixed in hours. A decent carpet in a bedroom should last 10 years easy, longer in 4+bedroom houses where bedrooms are often offices or storage areas. 

  • Ned J.Pro Member
    Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    Its really not a tenant "want" factor..... its a 'how often am I going to have to clean/repair/replace" the flooring..... LVP is WAY better for all of those. The carpet vs LVP isnt going to be a "deal breaker" for most tenants. If they want a warmer softer floor, they can add areas rugs. 

  • Min ZhangBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    LVP is a great option since it is durable and simple to maintain, unlike carpet, which can easily get soiled and stained. It's critical to pick strong materials that will survive long-term tenancy when upgrading a rental home.

    Just think about what suits you well. Best of luck! 

  • Real Estate Agent · WA · Member since 2021 · 254 posts · 173 votes
    3y

    I would say that generally families like a good mix. LVP in the kitchen, hallways, and entrances. Carpet in the bedrooms

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Benjamin Furney:

    Hello, I was wondering what renters typically like. Do they enjoy LVP or carpet for their bedrooms?


     Me ? LVP all over the place.

    Carpet is big no as it may trigger asthma.

  • Contractor · Coachella Valley, CA · Member since 2017 · 252 posts · 176 votes
    1y

    When I was renting i always preferred LVP.  Carpet felt dirty to me. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbia, SC · Member since 2022 · 41 posts · 14 votes
    11mo

    I look at it from a low-maintenance perspective. LVP tends to be much easier to maintain and holds up better over time compared to carpet. Most rentals that have carpet end up needing replacements fairly often between tenants. I don’t think most renters have a strong preference either way, but LVP usually makes more sense to an owner since they are the one responsible for upkeep.

  • Marco FioreBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2022 · 78 posts · 73 votes
    11mo

    LVP always. It is subjective but most tenants like the look of LVP as it reminds them of an updated unit. Also, it is extremely low maintenance and carpets can smell overtime if you do not regularly clean them.

    eXp Realty - Marco Fiore Real Estate519 Reviews
  • Wholesaler · CA · Member since 2023 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    11mo

    I’ve been renting for a long time, and I’ve found that LVP flooring throughout the house is much more practical. Now that I have kids, LVP is clearly the more convenient option. If a tenant prefers the feel of carpet, they can always add area rugs. On the other hand, a carpeted room can never provide the same benefits or versatility as LVP.

     

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.