Avoid Capital Gains on a Quick Flip Project

Avoid Capital Gains on a Quick Flip Project

Member since 2023 · 12 posts · 1 vote

Hi Everyone,

Is there a way to avoid the significant impact of Capital Gains Tax on a quick flip and sell project?  I purchased a Triplex which I will be converting into Condos and selling each unit individually.  I looked into the costs and state (NJ) rules, etc for the condo conversion and am good to go.  I potentially could have a quick 40-50% gain in executing this strategy.  I want to take the windfall and invest it quickly into another investment property in an effort to avoid Capital Gains Tax.  However the only way I know to do this from a tax strategy is a 1031 Exchange.  Since I would only have this property for about 4-6 months I don't think I will qualify for the 1031.

I been looking but am unsure if there is anything else I could do to avoid the gain tax.  Thoughts? 

Thank you in advance!

0Reply
51 views

Most Popular Reply

Alan AsriantsBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y

When you do a quick flip you wont be paying capital gain taxes you will actually be paying income taxes. The profit can throw you into a completely different tax bracket. If you owned the property, used it as a rental/business for a period of time - I believe it is 1 year, then you would pay capital gains tax on the sale. I think after 1 year of it being a rental property you can then use 1031. 
Talk to your CPA/accountant

Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate 590 Reviews
View Page
See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    1031 is not for flip properties, it is for properties that are held as rentals. You are probably stuck paying taxes. 

    You could always sell some loss properties, stocks, etc. Making money and paying taxes is not the end of the world. 

    I remember hearing someone say that he was so bummed out because he was paying 600k in taxes. I said wow thats crazy. How much did you make?? He said, well it was a couple mil. WOW poor guy. Planning is what is important in your overall investing and tax strategy.

  • Alan AsriantsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    When you do a quick flip you wont be paying capital gain taxes you will actually be paying income taxes. The profit can throw you into a completely different tax bracket. If you owned the property, used it as a rental/business for a period of time - I believe it is 1 year, then you would pay capital gains tax on the sale. I think after 1 year of it being a rental property you can then use 1031. 
    Talk to your CPA/accountant

    Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate 590 Reviews
    View Page
  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    "Flips", the intent of buying and selling houses quickly normally results in ordinary income and not the capital gain preferential tax treatment.

  • Member since 2023 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    Thank you all.  I appreciate the feedback.  Looks like I am getting to the stage of obtaining a CPA!

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    3y

    @Michael LaMorte, The way to make this work with a 1031 would be to convert the triplex.  And then rent the individual units for a period of time.  Then you can sell them and do a 1031 exchange on each sale.  Ordinary income tax in NJ is going to hammer you.  So there's some motivation to slow it down just a bit.  

    And if there's any value add component you can space this out and do that one unit at a time which might give you some more margin.  Time is your friend!  Taxes - not so much!

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 281 posts · 133 votes
    3y

    I think the answer is work on a tax strategy with a CPA who is familiar with REI.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.