• New to Real Estate
  • California
Votes |
ADU - Sunroom

Angela Zaitz
  • New to Real Estate
  • California
Posted May 25 2023, 11:26

I'm in escrow with a home that has advertised a 300 sq foot "bonus room", but in actuality it is an enclosed sunroom without insulation and a waffle roof.

I asked if it was permitted and the seller doesn't know as they "bought it that way". But the square footage does not add up. So I'm thinking it wasn't? Does that seem like a reasonable assumption?

I need to get permits to both fully enclose and tan ADU permit. Is this going to cause me problems???

Also, I would have to get a traditional roof before putting up drywall, correct?

User Stats

Votes
Matt Devincenzo
  • Investor
  • Clairemont, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Clairemont, CA
Replied May 25 2023, 11:38

It is very unlikely that any of that structure will be useable for an ADU. Whether permitted or not, the slab likely has little to no footing and it's not likely it includes a vapor barrier, plus the span on the 24" on center ceiling joists is likely too far, and when you sheath and shingle it will get worse...assuming there is even a world where it would be viable to insulate sufficiently and pass Title 24 etc.

My point is that if you intend to build an ADU here, it will almost 100% require demo'ing that area and staring with all new construction.

User Stats

Votes
Andy Sabisch
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wilkes-Barre, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wilkes-Barre, PA
Replied May 25 2023, 18:25
As Matt said, it is doubtful that the room / area was permitted and if you plan on enclosing it to make it usable square footage especially in CA, you will more than likely need to demo it and build the space out per code and per zoning restrictions.  Are you at a point where you can re-negotiate the price based on what you have is not what was advertised?  Not sure what square footage is going for in your area but I would assume at least $100 / ft2 which puts you at $30,000 without any finishing touches.  Hopefully that was in your budget (or at least contingency) and does not tip the scale in terms of the overall deal.  If possible, go back to the seller and see if you can come to some agreement . . . was it an on-market property - if so, the agent has some culpability as well.
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Angela Zaitz
  • New to Real Estate
  • California
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • California
Replied May 30 2023, 10:10

Thank you both for your input!  I was in a10 day review period and I opted out of the purchase. You saved me from a money pit!

User Stats

Votes
Angela Zaitz
  • New to Real Estate
  • California
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • California
Replied May 30 2023, 10:10

Thank you both for your input!  I was in a10 day review period and I opted out of the purchase. You saved me from a money pit!

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 30 2023, 10:16
Quote from @Angela Zaitz:

Hope there was no loss of funds for you. Mortgage rates may get a little better also now debt ceiling issues are subsiding. If you need any help with new property search or questions on Lending fee free to message.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Meyers
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Replied May 30 2023, 19:24

@Angela Zaitz it's common for there to be unpermitted square footage here in San Diego I see it all the time. One thing you can always request from the seller is the building records which is what's on file with the county. That's a good indiction if there is unpermitted square footage. The good news is there is an amensty period in CA until 2025 to bring unpermitted ADU structures up to code I've been told. I have some great recommendations for ADU contractors if you need any just send me a PM.

User Stats

Votes
Dan Heuschele
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Poway, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Poway, CA
Replied May 30 2023, 21:16
Quote from @Steve Meyers:

@Angela Zaitz it's common for there to be unpermitted square footage here in San Diego I see it all the time. One thing you can always request from the seller is the building records which is what's on file with the county. That's a good indiction if there is unpermitted square footage. The good news is there is an amensty period in CA until 2025 to bring unpermitted ADU structures up to code I've been told. I have some great recommendations for ADU contractors if you need any just send me a PM.

That is not an existing ADU. The ADU amnesty does not apply.

I believe that will be difficult to get permitted with current code due to height of ceiling and possible the foundation.  Best hope is that it already has a permit as living space, but I will be surprised (but I have been surprised before).

User Stats

Votes
Steve Meyers
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Replied May 30 2023, 23:29
Quote from @Dan Heuschele:
Quote from @Steve Meyers:

That is not an existing ADU. The ADU amnesty does not apply.

I believe that will be difficult to get permitted with current code due to height of ceiling and possible the foundation.  Best hope is that it already has a permit as living space, but I will be surprised (but I have been surprised before).

I was referring to other properties with ADUs on them that are not permitted for the amnesty period. You are correct this sunroom would not be considered an ADU.