Beaver Falls, PA · Member since 2014 · 3 posts · 0 votes
Is a new furnace return on investment worth the money when flipping a house? We are in the process of flipping a house that has an older forced air oil furnace (about 12 years old), which works well. Was considering either putting in a new natural gas furnace & A/C unit, or just installing an A/C unit on the existing forced air oil furnace. Installing a new natural gas would also consist of tapping into the gas line at the street.
Also, basement is unfinished, but framed for two bedrooms, and there is a Pittsburgh toilet by the steps. Was thinking of making that a 3rd bath. I am pretty new to flipping. This is my second flip. Any suggestions from you experts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much, Dell! I was getting estimates for gas conversion recently (actually for a boiler) and it seems like I really need to work on whittling down my costs.
SFR Investor · Warsaw, IN · Member since 2014 · 59 posts · 13 votes
12y
Boilers are substantially more than forced air. That may be accounting for differences you see in the quoted prices of others. The boiler in our home is original to the house (1961) and every time I have it serviced I ask the guys whether its time to replace it yet and every time they tell me as long as its still running fine its not worth the cost of replacing yet. Our 'ballpark' estimates to replace this boiler are in the 7-10k range.