Flipper/Rehabber · Easton, PA · Member since 2013 · 224 posts · 36 votes
Hi, I have heard from a few people that IKEA cabinets are better then they used to be and actually quite nice. Has anyone known this to be true? I do like the look of them but just wondering about the quality.
Contractor · Easton, PA · Member since 2013 · 152 posts · 58 votes
12y
Jessica. I am using a granite company that is next to Unclaimed Freight off of 22 that charge $33/sf. They do a nice job. I put granite in all my homes at any price range if a new kitchen is going in. I am doing a 850 sf single that is getting granite.
Rental Property Investor · Cypress, CA · Member since 2014 · 229 posts · 47 votes
12y
In my rental properties, i always use ikea cabinets, because of the 30 year warranty offered with them. However one thing i make sure to do is i never use ikea countertops instead i use granite and apply the normal 1/2in to 3/4 in. plywood on top of the cabinets it creates a great look at a very reasonable price. The plywood really adds even more stability to the cabinet boxes. The only real difficulty in my experience is the first time you build them because of instructions take longer amount of time, however the second time you will notice a huge reduction in time used to build them.
I also screw all the cabinets together and the plywood down to increase strength.
I also find them stronger and reasonably priced to the Chinese manufactured cabinets that i used in flips.
Broker, Investor, Property Restorer · Fox Point, WI · Member since 2012 · 288 posts · 120 votes
12y
I didn't read everyone's response, but I used IKEA cabinets for a rental remodel and they seemed pretty well built and durable to me, the hardware was good quality and the price was good too, so overall, I was impressed. I don't own that one anymore, so I don't know how they held up over the years, but they seemed like they should hold up well. Its funny that you brought this up because I actually kind of forgot about IKEA for cabinets and now I'll have to keep them in mind. The only issue for me is as of now, the closest IKEA is near Chicago, so its an hour plus drive there each way, so I'd have to make sure I brought a trailer or something in case they didn't all fit in the van, or else I'd be making two long trips!
IKEA furniture is another story though, I also bought a couple of dressers and a bed frame and headboard, etc and that was barely above junk in my opinion!