Oversize Garage or 2 Bedrooms? Overbook Student Rental Area

Oversize Garage or 2 Bedrooms? Overbook Student Rental Area

Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes

I recently bought a 4 bedroom/2 full bathroom row home in the Overbook area 2 blocks from Saint Joes University in Philly, PA, with a full finished basement with a third full bathroom plus garage on this level. I am planning on renting the 4/2 on the upper two levels and living in the basement. I am debating turning the oversized garage plus a little of the other finished space into 2 bedrooms (walkout basement/garage so both would have windows), or leaving it unfinished as a garage. There is enough space either way for me to live so not worried about the livability, more considering what will be worth more when I go to sell the property in 5-15 years. I am very handy and would do the garage -> 2 bedroom conversion myself and would cost maybe $5-10k, obviously keeping garage as is would be free. Parking is also pretty easy on the street and the driveway has 2 parking spaces.


House technically is all attached so when I sell it could also leave it separated as two units (illegal, but with variance is allowed in zoning if I put the hassle in), or open it up and make it all one unit again. I plan to leave the staircase, just adding a wall to separate that could be easily removed. So house in the end could be: duplex (4/2 + 2/1), duplex (4/2 + Studio with garage), single residence 6/3 without garage, or single residence 4/3 with garage. I am trying to decide which would make the most financial sense. Thoughts or things I might not be considering? 

Thanks in advance!!


0Reply
14 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jaron WallingPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y

    I see garage conversions in our market and it's great strategy to increase cash-flow. Without any rental numbers it's hard to justify the expense. How much cash-flow are you going to generate as is? Making financial sense requires running the numbers. Your conversion estimate needs to be more narrow. You mentioned going DIY and completing it yourself. If I'm in your shoes and planning to hold for 5-15 years maybe I can convert in such a way that makes it's easy to convert back when I sell. SFH with garages hold more value to everyday buyers. If you remodeled some of the property already I'd want full market value for everyday buyers. Everyday buyers want extra storage not addition bedrooms. THat's just my opinion and it's something to think about if you do the conversion. Cheers.

  • Lender · PA · Member since 2019 · 533 posts · 461 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Elijah Therrien:

    I recently bought a 4 bedroom/2 full bathroom row home in the Overbook area 2 blocks from Saint Joes University in Philly, PA, with a full finished basement with a third full bathroom plus garage on this level. I am planning on renting the 4/2 on the upper two levels and living in the basement. I am debating turning the oversized garage plus a little of the other finished space into 2 bedrooms (walkout basement/garage so both would have windows), or leaving it unfinished as a garage. There is enough space either way for me to live so not worried about the livability, more considering what will be worth more when I go to sell the property in 5-15 years. I am very handy and would do the garage -> 2 bedroom conversion myself and would cost maybe $5-10k, obviously keeping garage as is would be free. Parking is also pretty easy on the street and the driveway has 2 parking spaces.


    House technically is all attached so when I sell it could also leave it separated as two units (illegal, but with variance is allowed in zoning if I put the hassle in), or open it up and make it all one unit again. I plan to leave the staircase, just adding a wall to separate that could be easily removed. So house in the end could be: duplex (4/2 + 2/1), duplex (4/2 + Studio with garage), single residence 6/3 without garage, or single residence 4/3 with garage. I am trying to decide which would make the most financial sense. Thoughts or things I might not be considering? 

    Thanks in advance!!


    Jaron congratulations on your acquisition! If you can convert to a legal duplex and the rents justify it I would consider it. With St. Joes around the corner and their lack of upper class housing it would be a good college rental. If you do a legal conversion you will have better options on the back end. The City of Philadelphia can be difficult if you get caught wit ha illegal conversion by zoning or L & I.  You should also talk to your insurance agent as a illegal conversion might create insurance issues should something go wrong. Good luck!
  • Alan AsriantsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    The most value in Phila by sqft is a legal Multi Family. Illegal multi family is worse than a single for resale value

    Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate 590 Reviews
    View Page
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.