#LifeOfALandlord (with photos!)

#LifeOfALandlord (with photos!)

Brandon TurnerPro Member
Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes


Here's a close up:

Yep, this is what I did today. Had a water leak coming in on top of the window, where a shingle was broke. So rather than spend 2 hours repairing it in the rain, I just used two layers of tin metal and overlapped under the next shingle up.

Now, I'm sure you are wondering...

Why would Brandon not just hire that out? That looks miserable.

Good question, and yes it was miserable; and here's my answer:

1.) I don't currently have a great maintenance guy I can rely on, especially for something like this. I'm looking! (you know anyone?)

2.) It's a Saturday... and NO ONE in my town works on Saturdays.

3.) I had nothing better to do today. Yes, I'm sure I could have spent an hour trying to find someone to go do it, and explain what to do, and hope it was done right. But instead I went into town, grabbed some Starbucks, and climbed up on a ladder and "fixed" the problem temporarily. I'll look for someone to do a more complete fix next week.

So yes, my time is better spent finding deals, finding investors, and other "higher paying jobs." However, today I was just hanging out at home doing some house work. And sometime's a landlord needs to do what needs to get done.

Anyways, just thought I'd share a quick inside look at the life of a landlord (at least this landlord.) It's not always glamorous, fun, or exciting. But I'll make $250 this month on this property so ... hey, I'll take it.

Thoughts? Criticisms? (I know @Ben Leybovich will have something to say about this!)

3Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
12y

@Brandon Turner

OK - you know I love you; right - you should by now? And I repsect you, appreciate you, and think you are extremely tallented. But, what the hell is wrong with you...? I keep trying and trying, and you are still buying Waldos and putting lipstic on them...

The email came-in informing me of your post. I was not able to respond sooner as I was in the middle of the CashFlow game with Patrisha and a friend. During the game, my handyman came to pick up a check for

DOING THIS KIND OF **** FOR ME SO I CAN BE HOME PLAYING GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So - what is wrong with you my man? You have a kind and gorgeous wife and you make her sit in the car, in the rain, looking at you climb on the roof, which is anything but graceful or artful. The whole time she wished you'd taken her to ballet instead. We need to talk!

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • SFR Investor · Stillwater, OK · Member since 2014 · 168 posts · 37 votes
    12y

    I think that aluminum flashing job in the rain looks great! I think it's a quick solution when something needed done.

    Doing quick fixes saves a lot of damage

    don't like laying in cold water in a crawl space or running snake in sewer then also the vents on ice covered roofs in winter cause they are clogged to

    Recently got a call from a lady "water is running on floor " guess her husband who doesn't work couldn't get off couch to look at it or kill the water

    I love those calls :)

    This was in a tiny half bath

    They were nice enough to call some just let the water run.

    It was at night so I headed down the road and took a shark bite type cap and capped it off til later it was snapped off pipe Told them to use different bathroom.

    I think it may be the Gremlins In this place and cause damage.

    I don't like the Gremlins

    I know from the past few months its the gremlins that clog up the pipes,and toilets in areas that tenants never even use ,and they can't understand how that could have happened.

    I think the Gremlins make holes in walls ,stain carpet ,write on walls

    I guess gremlins like to work night shift ,and like to hang around certain type tenants

    I'm wondering if gremlins only hang around the ones who act like pigs who let their offspring act like wild animals??

    I wonder if I had different people there if the Gremlins would move away ?

    house nearby it is rented to the sister (naturally husband no job ) never had a problem with them so far.

    Its sweet that their parents are paying both rents and extra perhaps excessive for gremlin damage without complaint.

    Dad actually asks if there is extra this month.Hope he stays healthy!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.