My business partner and I (tried) to make our first offer today on a potential flip. We’ve only been looking for about a week and a half and this one hit the market right in our back yard. Here are the details:
House: 900sf 3 bed 1 bath on a crawl space with no garage
List Price: $90,000
Comps: $185,000
Reno: $40,000
Closing Costs: $12,000
Holding Costs: $6,000
Taxes: $6,000
We offered list price with 5 day inspection and 3 weeks to close. The problem is the price point, the thing was HOT. The realtor told us she had 5 offers all above list price, some of which were from other investors. If we had a little more experience, I would have felt comfortable going to war. However, given that we haven’t even gotten our company bank account set up yet (I know) we felt it best to bow out.
Given all of that, I would love to hear your feedback on the deal. Would you have taken it? How much would you have offered? Do you steer clear of bidding wars altogether? Any and all feedback is welcome. We want to learn as much as possible so feel free to tear this thing apart!
@Jordan A., if those were your numbers those were your numbers. I don't see how you could have gone higher than you offered and still made any worthwhile money with those numbers.
However, could those numbers be CHANGED?!?
For example could your scope of work be different and open up any other possibilities to make more money. It sounds like a ranch home, so could you have done a "pop top" and added a 2nd floor to it doubling the size. Maybe an $80k renovation could have gotten you to a $300k ARV in that way and justified paying over asking price.
A deal is what YOU make out of it not what is presented to you. The listing agent may advertise it as a potential straight forward flip but you're the one making the deal and need to see if there are other opportunities.
Always good to remember that you make your money on the purchase … and … the deal of a lifetime comes around about once a week. Way too tight for me. Best of luck with the next one.
Guys how can any of you say this is a decent deal? ALL IN 160k, one mistake on reno bam profit gone, maybe a loss. Fee to sell house, there is no money in this, way to tight. NOT a good deal,
I think taxes they listed was superfluous. If they mean property taxes then its factored into closing costs/holding costs. So, I think they were looking at $148k all in plus their costs to sell (commission etc).
So, a projected profit of maybe $24k or so. I think they felt that was sufficient but wouldn't offer any higher and to me that makes sense.
Yes, this is where our heads were at. It didn't leave much room for error, but given the condition of the house I wasn't too worried about getting upside down in it at $90k.
Aren't the $12k listed for closing costs mostly for the sales side? (i.e. commissions and what not.) In that case, assuming your numbers are right (big if), you'd be looking at a $37,000 profit. A bit tight but hardly terrible. (I should note that I put whatever taxes we'd need to pay in the holding costs so I may have your numbers a bit confused.)
160k all in IF all goes perfect. Hope to sell for 180k, terrible. not including the 3% fee, terrible
Where does $160,000 come from?
$90,000 to buy + $40,000 rehab + $6000 holding costs + $12,000 closing costs = $148,000
Now, I'm assuming the closing costs were for buying and selling and included commissions, which is what I was asking for clarification on. And whatever taxes are owed (unless he's talking about income taxes) should be in holding costs. So I think (?) that's superfluous as someone noted above.
So the estimated profit would be $185,000 - $148,000 = $37,000.
Or by the 70% rule; $185,000 X 0.7 = $129,500 - $40,000 repairs = $89,500. So, just about the $90,000 price he was talking about.
Of course, as I noted, that all assumes the numbers are right which is a big assumption I cannot judge from here.
Spread is a little tight and I agree that if you're flipping anyway, especially with 10 years experience in construction, you may want to consider waiving inspection to make your offer stand out. Also not to be a stickler but it doesn't count as your first offer unless you submitted it in writing, with proof of funds. Verbal offers don't count!
Guys how can any of you say this is a decent deal? ALL IN 160k, one mistake on reno bam profit gone, maybe a loss. Fee to sell house, there is no money in this, way to tight. NOT a good deal,
I think taxes they listed was superfluous. If they mean property taxes then its factored into closing costs/holding costs. So, I think they were looking at $148k all in plus their costs to sell (commission etc).
So, a projected profit of maybe $24k or so. I think they felt that was sufficient but wouldn't offer any higher and to me that makes sense.
Yes, this is where our heads were at. It didn't leave much room for error, but given the condition of the house I wasn't too worried about getting upside down in it at $90k.
Aren't the $12k listed for closing costs mostly for the sales side? (i.e. commissions and what not.) In that case, assuming your numbers are right (big if), you'd be looking at a $37,000 profit. A bit tight but hardly terrible. (I should note that I put whatever taxes we'd need to pay in the holding costs so I may have your numbers a bit confused.)
160k all in IF all goes perfect. Hope to sell for 180k, terrible. not including the 3% fee, terrible
Where does $160,000 come from?
$90,000 to buy + $40,000 rehab + $6000 holding costs + $12,000 closing costs = $148,000
Now, I'm assuming the closing costs were for buying and selling and included commissions, which is what I was asking for clarification on. And whatever taxes are owed (unless he's talking about income taxes) should be in holding costs. So I think (?) that's superfluous as someone noted above.
So the estimated profit would be $185,000 - $148,000 = $37,000.
Or by the 70% rule; $185,000 X 0.7 = $129,500 - $40,000 repairs = $89,500. So, just about the $90,000 price he was talking about.
Of course, as I noted, that all assumes the numbers are right which is a big assumption I cannot judge from here.
I think he was talking about short term cap gains tax (10-37% depending on the filer’s income and filing status)?
Guys how can any of you say this is a decent deal? ALL IN 160k, one mistake on reno bam profit gone, maybe a loss. Fee to sell house, there is no money in this, way to tight. NOT a good deal,
I think taxes they listed was superfluous. If they mean property taxes then its factored into closing costs/holding costs. So, I think they were looking at $148k all in plus their costs to sell (commission etc).
So, a projected profit of maybe $24k or so. I think they felt that was sufficient but wouldn't offer any higher and to me that makes sense.
Yes, this is where our heads were at. It didn't leave much room for error, but given the condition of the house I wasn't too worried about getting upside down in it at $90k.
Aren't the $12k listed for closing costs mostly for the sales side? (i.e. commissions and what not.) In that case, assuming your numbers are right (big if), you'd be looking at a $37,000 profit. A bit tight but hardly terrible. (I should note that I put whatever taxes we'd need to pay in the holding costs so I may have your numbers a bit confused.)
160k all in IF all goes perfect. Hope to sell for 180k, terrible. not including the 3% fee, terrible
Where does $160,000 come from?
$90,000 to buy + $40,000 rehab + $6000 holding costs + $12,000 closing costs = $148,000
Now, I'm assuming the closing costs were for buying and selling and included commissions, which is what I was asking for clarification on. And whatever taxes are owed (unless he's talking about income taxes) should be in holding costs. So I think (?) that's superfluous as someone noted above.
So the estimated profit would be $185,000 - $148,000 = $37,000.
Or by the 70% rule; $185,000 X 0.7 = $129,500 - $40,000 repairs = $89,500. So, just about the $90,000 price he was talking about.
Of course, as I noted, that all assumes the numbers are right which is a big assumption I cannot judge from here.
I think he was talking about short term cap gains tax (10-37% depending on the filer’s income and filing status)?
That's what I meant by income taxes since it's generally taxed the same as regular income. I've rarely seen that put in a flip analysis tbh.
Guys how can any of you say this is a decent deal? ALL IN 160k, one mistake on reno bam profit gone, maybe a loss. Fee to sell house, there is no money in this, way to tight. NOT a good deal,
I think taxes they listed was superfluous. If they mean property taxes then its factored into closing costs/holding costs. So, I think they were looking at $148k all in plus their costs to sell (commission etc).
So, a projected profit of maybe $24k or so. I think they felt that was sufficient but wouldn't offer any higher and to me that makes sense.
Yes, this is where our heads were at. It didn't leave much room for error, but given the condition of the house I wasn't too worried about getting upside down in it at $90k.
Aren't the $12k listed for closing costs mostly for the sales side? (i.e. commissions and what not.) In that case, assuming your numbers are right (big if), you'd be looking at a $37,000 profit. A bit tight but hardly terrible. (I should note that I put whatever taxes we'd need to pay in the holding costs so I may have your numbers a bit confused.)
160k all in IF all goes perfect. Hope to sell for 180k, terrible. not including the 3% fee, terrible
Guys how can any of you say this is a decent deal? ALL IN 160k, one mistake on reno bam profit gone, maybe a loss. Fee to sell house, there is no money in this, way to tight. NOT a good deal,
I think taxes they listed was superfluous. If they mean property taxes then its factored into closing costs/holding costs. So, I think they were looking at $148k all in plus their costs to sell (commission etc).
So, a projected profit of maybe $24k or so. I think they felt that was sufficient but wouldn't offer any higher and to me that makes sense.
Yes, this is where our heads were at. It didn't leave much room for error, but given the condition of the house I wasn't too worried about getting upside down in it at $90k.
Aren't the $12k listed for closing costs mostly for the sales side? (i.e. commissions and what not.) In that case, assuming your numbers are right (big if), you'd be looking at a $37,000 profit. A bit tight but hardly terrible. (I should note that I put whatever taxes we'd need to pay in the holding costs so I may have your numbers a bit confused.)
160k all in IF all goes perfect. Hope to sell for 180k, terrible. not including the 3% fee, terrible
160k all in, RENO is NOT going to be the exact number, and what about the 3% broker fee, This is not a good deal, way to tight .
Guys how can any of you say this is a decent deal? ALL IN 160k, one mistake on reno bam profit gone, maybe a loss. Fee to sell house, there is no money in this, way to tight. NOT a good deal,
I think taxes they listed was superfluous. If they mean property taxes then its factored into closing costs/holding costs. So, I think they were looking at $148k all in plus their costs to sell (commission etc).
So, a projected profit of maybe $24k or so. I think they felt that was sufficient but wouldn't offer any higher and to me that makes sense.
Yes, this is where our heads were at. It didn't leave much room for error, but given the condition of the house I wasn't too worried about getting upside down in it at $90k.
Aren't the $12k listed for closing costs mostly for the sales side? (i.e. commissions and what not.) In that case, assuming your numbers are right (big if), you'd be looking at a $37,000 profit. A bit tight but hardly terrible. (I should note that I put whatever taxes we'd need to pay in the holding costs so I may have your numbers a bit confused.)
160k all in IF all goes perfect. Hope to sell for 180k, terrible. not including the 3% fee, terrible
Where does $160,000 come from?
$90,000 to buy + $40,000 rehab + $6000 holding costs + $12,000 closing costs = $148,000
Now, I'm assuming the closing costs were for buying and selling and included commissions, which is what I was asking for clarification on. And whatever taxes are owed (unless he's talking about income taxes) should be in holding costs. So I think (?) that's superfluous as someone noted above.
So the estimated profit would be $185,000 - $148,000 = $37,000.
Or by the 70% rule; $185,000 X 0.7 = $129,500 - $40,000 repairs = $89,500. So, just about the $90,000 price he was talking about.
Of course, as I noted, that all assumes the numbers are right which is a big assumption I cannot judge from here.
the numbers provided are 152k, I just rounded up as well, reno mistakes,
Guys how can any of you say this is a decent deal? ALL IN 160k, one mistake on reno bam profit gone, maybe a loss. Fee to sell house, there is no money in this, way to tight. NOT a good deal,
I think taxes they listed was superfluous. If they mean property taxes then its factored into closing costs/holding costs. So, I think they were looking at $148k all in plus their costs to sell (commission etc).
So, a projected profit of maybe $24k or so. I think they felt that was sufficient but wouldn't offer any higher and to me that makes sense.
Yes, this is where our heads were at. It didn't leave much room for error, but given the condition of the house I wasn't too worried about getting upside down in it at $90k.
Aren't the $12k listed for closing costs mostly for the sales side? (i.e. commissions and what not.) In that case, assuming your numbers are right (big if), you'd be looking at a $37,000 profit. A bit tight but hardly terrible. (I should note that I put whatever taxes we'd need to pay in the holding costs so I may have your numbers a bit confused.)
160k all in IF all goes perfect. Hope to sell for 180k, terrible. not including the 3% fee, terrible
160k all in, RENO is NOT going to be the exact number, and what about the 3% broker fee, This is not a good deal, way to tight .
Guys how can any of you say this is a decent deal? ALL IN 160k, one mistake on reno bam profit gone, maybe a loss. Fee to sell house, there is no money in this, way to tight. NOT a good deal,
I think taxes they listed was superfluous. If they mean property taxes then its factored into closing costs/holding costs. So, I think they were looking at $148k all in plus their costs to sell (commission etc).
So, a projected profit of maybe $24k or so. I think they felt that was sufficient but wouldn't offer any higher and to me that makes sense.
Yes, this is where our heads were at. It didn't leave much room for error, but given the condition of the house I wasn't too worried about getting upside down in it at $90k.
Aren't the $12k listed for closing costs mostly for the sales side? (i.e. commissions and what not.) In that case, assuming your numbers are right (big if), you'd be looking at a $37,000 profit. A bit tight but hardly terrible. (I should note that I put whatever taxes we'd need to pay in the holding costs so I may have your numbers a bit confused.)
160k all in IF all goes perfect. Hope to sell for 180k, terrible. not including the 3% fee, terrible
160k all in, RENO is NOT going to be the exact number, and what about the 3% broker fee, This is not a good deal, way to tight .
I know OP has already passed on this one but I was with @Bob S. on this one
I assumed 185K sell price minus 10% or so for commissions and closing costs and wrangling
so that's $166,500
purchase 90 + reno 40 + closing 12 (I assumed this was points and whatnot on the buy) + 6 hold = 148K all in - 10K contingency 158K
so... 8500 profit or so
too tight unless i am missing something (like the 12K 'closing costs')
I know OP has already passed on this one but I was with @Bob S. on this one
I assumed 185K sell price minus 10% or so for commissions and closing costs and wrangling
so that's $166,500
purchase 90 + reno 40 + closing 12 (I assumed this was points and whatnot on the buy) + 6 hold = 148K all in - 10K contingency 158K
so... 8500 profit or so
too tight unless i am missing something (like the 12K 'closing costs')
Here was my breakdown:
$185,000 Comps
$90,000 purchase price
$40,000 reno
$12,000 closing costs (6% commissions at sale)
$6,000 holding costs (hard money 3 months)
$6,000 taxes (Capital Gains assuming $37,000 profit)
Guys how can any of you say this is a decent deal? ALL IN 160k, one mistake on reno bam profit gone, maybe a loss. Fee to sell house, there is no money in this, way to tight. NOT a good deal,
I think taxes they listed was superfluous. If they mean property taxes then its factored into closing costs/holding costs. So, I think they were looking at $148k all in plus their costs to sell (commission etc).
So, a projected profit of maybe $24k or so. I think they felt that was sufficient but wouldn't offer any higher and to me that makes sense.
Yes, this is where our heads were at. It didn't leave much room for error, but given the condition of the house I wasn't too worried about getting upside down in it at $90k.
Aren't the $12k listed for closing costs mostly for the sales side? (i.e. commissions and what not.) In that case, assuming your numbers are right (big if), you'd be looking at a $37,000 profit. A bit tight but hardly terrible. (I should note that I put whatever taxes we'd need to pay in the holding costs so I may have your numbers a bit confused.)
160k all in IF all goes perfect. Hope to sell for 180k, terrible. not including the 3% fee, terrible
Where does $160,000 come from?
$90,000 to buy + $40,000 rehab + $6000 holding costs + $12,000 closing costs = $148,000
Now, I'm assuming the closing costs were for buying and selling and included commissions, which is what I was asking for clarification on. And whatever taxes are owed (unless he's talking about income taxes) should be in holding costs. So I think (?) that's superfluous as someone noted above.
So the estimated profit would be $185,000 - $148,000 = $37,000.
Or by the 70% rule; $185,000 X 0.7 = $129,500 - $40,000 repairs = $89,500. So, just about the $90,000 price he was talking about.
Of course, as I noted, that all assumes the numbers are right which is a big assumption I cannot judge from here.
the numbers provided are 152k, I just rounded up as well, reno mistakes,
I'm still not sure why taxes were included. If not, it would be $148,000. You also added in 3% for a brokerage fee, but it's not clear whether the $12,000 in closing costs covers that (I would certainly hope it does!). Lastly, regarding reno mistakes, I guess that just comes down to whether a contingency is built into the $40k rehab estimate or not.
In other words, it might be terrible, but depends on the answers to all that.
You would have lost a small amount on this deal in all likelihood and learned a lot of lessons along the way. Flipping money is made on properties that you buy for $125 they need $80-100k reno and will be worth $300++ at the end. If you want to speculate in the small dollar flips you or your wife need to get your Realtor license to generate some breaks at purchase and sale. The numbers are just too tight.
Sorry but this is terrible, should be all in 130K MAAX, 5 DAY inspection ? What are you doing? You and your GC should do this in about 20 minutes. PLEASE connect with someone in your area doing deals, Learn then go on your own. Do NOT buy this based on your numbers. This could very easily be a loss or just a waste of time, well not a waste you will learn what not to do :)
All the best